Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:06 AM

66 posts, read 176,214 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband has a job offer in both Richmond and Portland. We are both from southeast NH and have lived in MA for 5 years and are currently living in Bangor (for the last 3 years).

We are hoping the next move will be a more settled one since we have two young children.

We visited Richmond and were very impressed. There are so many things to do. It has the cobblestone streets with shops and restaurants... artsy streets... the most amazing parks ever... and the river is a beloved part of the lifestyle. Everything is beautiful and child friendly... stuff to do indoors and out all year long.

At first, the offer was only for Richmond so we have been gearing up for this new adventure of living in a safe and beautiful in-town neighborhood within walking distance to everything we loved on our visit.

Now... Portland has been added to the mix. Closer to family in NH... and I have vacationed on Hillsbeach in Biddeford since I was born. So it would feel like we're moving back home in a way.

I have always fantasized about moving to coastal southern Maine but I have no idea how it will actually be to live there. The weather is no mystery but I'm wondering if it feels like a ghost town in the winter...

Richmond's heat scares me quite a bit and it is far from family and it is very Bible oriented and conservative... but it does seem like it would be a fun place still... the way we could experience both a neighborhood and a city within walking distance... but no beach close by...

I am more artsy, hippie-spiritual and my husband is kind of a yuppie but very down to earth. We're both white but enjoy cultured and eclectic diversity. We like a town and home that offers a lifestyle rather than just status... unless we can get waterfront (we would sacrifice on a "downtown" for a waterfront lifestyle).

Our budget is between $400-600K

Any thoughts either way? Any live in both Richmond and New England? The Portland position won't pay as much by the way... by quite a bit... but the family thing is a big one to consider.

Thank you in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 AM

17 posts, read 43,547 times
I never lived in Portland, but I grew up in Chester, VA just south of Richmond. It's an awesome town to raise a family in. The schools in Chesterfield and Hanover are some of the best in the country. The James river offers many activities like rock hopping, canoeing, fishing, boating, water-skiing, para-sailing, and swimming (just watch the small children because it has undercurrents.) You can probably find a nice waterfront home for less than $500K. The housing market was flooded when we left a year ago. My hubby's job got sent overseas. The people as a whole are generally very nice although some of the long-time residents in Chesterfield are not fond of outsiders. When looking for a home; Enon in Chesterfield and Mechanicsville in Hanover are probably the two best places for raising children. By the way Richmond is only 1 hour from Va Beach as long as traffic doesn't back up on I64. Good Luck and I'm glad to hear that businesses in Richmond are hiring again.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM

418 posts, read 1,048,784 times
I grew up in NE and went to college in Maine not far from Portland but that was a few (a lot of) years ago. We have been here for 4 years and I love Richmond. We are in Midlothian (for the schools) and have found everyone exceptionally friendly and welcoming, locals and transplants alike. As far as the conservative, bible belt thing - not so much. At least it doesn't overwhelm. I feel like you have a pretty good mix, especially in the city itself. I think waterfront for 500k is going to put you well outside the city in lake communities, and I don't think that is what you are looking for. Virginia Beach (ocean) is at least 2 hours from downtown and Yorktown beach (river) an hour or so depending where you are. The plus is that they aren't freezing cold!

This is a great place to have family visit though. Tons to do year round. I heard this weekend that some Magazine voted Richmond as one of the top ten cities for outdoor activities! Skiing is close enough but not as good as NE.

Where do schools fit in for you? City schools are not as strong as the counties - with a few exceptions in the elementary schools so if you are thinking public that will impact neighborhoods you would want to look at.

Weather, if you ignore 2010, here is pretty temperate. This year has been nuts! Record snow and record heat. You do get used to it pretty quickly.

Good luck in your decision. I would think this would be a fun adventure for your family. I have lived all over the country and this is my favorite spot.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:48 AM

139 posts, read 239,425 times
Trust me. I live in Richmond, and if you move here, you will love it. It's absolutely great. Nightlife, activities, homes, schools, EVERYTHING is fantastic. But when it comes to family, I'd always want to move to the closest place possible. The job situation is MUCH better in Richmond, though. (No offense to Portland.) The summers in Richmond though are UNBEARABLE, but at least everything else is either perfect or almost perfect. We might also even get a light rail soon! Happy deciding! Hope you choose R-mond! It's OK if you don't, though.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:02 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
Might get BRT soon - Light rail is heavily dependent on federal funding, and since we don't have the traffic congestion of other areas, we're lower on the list.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:23 PM

894 posts, read 2,315,096 times
Richmond is a cool city, and close to other cool cities. But no matter how awesome a place is, if it isn't familiar and you're isolated from family and friends, it can be a downer. It sounds as if family means a lot to you. I'd go with your gut feeling on this.

As far as the religious thing goes, I've grown up in VA and the only real bible thumpers left are 40 somethings up. I read a recent report about how unchurched people are becoming in the US and believe it or not about 70% of all Virginians claim to not go to church or believe in a god. So it may be more bible thumping than New England, but not as much as you would think. I know for me it doesn't ever come up in conversation, and I live in the Shenandoah Valley!

Old 08-14-2010, 04:38 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,421,654 times
Another Vote for Richmond, Move to the West End, Lots of New England transplants (like me). easy to feel at home

Old 08-16-2010, 04:37 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,808 times
You don't want to live downtown - Downtown Richmond is not like downtown Portland - not at all. Richmond has a fair number of NE transplants as do many other southern cities, but not as many/not as liberal as say, Raleigh or Atlanta. But while downtown is nice to visit, it is not, in my opinion, a safe place to raise a family - some will blast me on this, but that's my 2 cents worth.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:15 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,015 times
Downtown is different geographically from say, a neighborhood like the Museum District. Downtown is really better suited for young professionals and empty nesters.

What about Rockett's Landing? Waterfront with boatslips just steps from your door.

Old 09-06-2010, 09:25 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,713 times
I'd say Richmond. I'm moving there from Boston (Back Bay). But Portland is a cool town... also a cold one. Richmond has much better weather. But heck, if you are living in Bangor, Portland has much better weather.

The idea that the fan and museum district, windsor farms, etc are dangerous is just laughable. Some people just love embracing fear. Richmond, like most cities, has bad areas and good areas. And sadly, like most cities, most of the suburbs are dead boring. Having lived in both, I'll make sure my car has nothing visible any day...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond