Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:30 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,782,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Glad that you are happy and love living in the Fan. My pretty brunette wife would never want to live in the fan and be mugged, maybe. I agree with her. Same goes for Jackson-Ward. Richmond is Richmond and has not changed in 40 years.
Richmond has not changed in 40 years? Are you a) delusional, b) housebound or c) a troll? Honestly, thats awe inspiring in its ignorance.

Saying one doesn't like Richmond? Fair enough.

Saying its still 1961? That's insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 12,966 times
I will be moving out of Richmond soon but been living in Richmond since after college, love the area, the atmosphere and diversity.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:17 PM

689 posts, read 1,617,923 times
Default Thanks for the clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCavalier View Post
Sorry to be so slow in responding. After seeing several snide messages, let me be plainer. First, the comment about being 100 miles from the beach and mountains is a positive. We went to the beach for on day trips down I64 to oceanfront. A good pt. for Richmond. Second, the schools in Chesterfield and Henrico are excellent. Both counties offer a typical suburban life like Marrietta, GA or Bloomington, IN, or Bloomington, MN. Third, the problem with the metro area is the City of Richmond. Aside from lousy schools, the inner city is marred with violence and murder. Accidental deaths are common. There is no reason to live in the City of Richmond. It has no redeeming value. I have lived here since 1968, raised kids in the counties, and now look forward to going to South Carolina.
I think Old Cavalier does make a good point -- if you have kids, living within the city of Richmond probably isn't a great idea, as there are phenomenal public schools a few miles away in both Chesterfield and Henrico counties. And OP is right, there are "pockets" of crime. Pockets. Once you've lived in Richmond, oh, a month, you know where they are and how to avoid them if you choose to do so. the city itself might be a good choice for OP as it is close to nightlife, exceptional dining, funky neighborhoods, etc., that might be appealing to someone who doesn't have family considerations.

The Richmond MSA is really nice, and I'd recommend it to anyone who asked. But OP seems to be so negatively predisposed. I'd be afraid you'd get to Richmond and hate it, regardless. So visit before you make any decisions, please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond