Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 PM

323 posts, read 529,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebaugh View Post
Thanks! Schools okay there?
Schools are not top rated but not the lowest either - most of the parents I know regardless of where they live supplement their child's education

New Kent is a growing small county- you could have the opportunity to help shape educational changes as a parent

New Kent Schools - New Kent Virginia School Ratings - Public and Private

When you come visit - stop at the different schools - and have a prepared list of questions - Henrico schools are more glitzier, higher test etc but I have found that glitz is not always what appears - Henrico also has more money for their school budget - kids get their own computer to take home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:03 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,704,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sankofa View Post

When you come visit - stop at the different schools - and have a prepared list of questions - Henrico schools are more glitzier, higher test etc but I have found that glitz is not always what appears - Henrico also has more money for their school budget - kids get their own computer to take home
Actually, according to the Virginia Department of Education, Henrico spends less per student than New Kent, but my guess is Henrico draws from a more affluent and educated demographic, especially if you're talking about the Western part of the county.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Actually, according to the Virginia Department of Education, Henrico spends less per student than New Kent, but my guess is Henrico draws from a more affluent and educated demographic, especially if you're talking about the Western part of the county.
Yes, they may spend less but they have a bigger budget. For the county of henrico top budgets are, schools, police/fire, mental health,

school budgets includes more than per pupil spending

Old 11-29-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, they may spend less but they have a bigger budget. For the county of henrico top budgets are, schools, police/fire, mental health,

school budgets includes more than per pupil spending
Not sure where you're coming from--a laptop per middle and high schooler certainly is a per student expenditure. DC has a much bigger school budget than Henrico, yet its schools are terrible. It's not about what is spent whether on a total or per pupil basis. Western Henrico and Mechanicsville schools are uniformly excellent because they draw from an educated upper middle class and the parents are extremely involved both at the school and at home. Also, these areas have an easy time attracting good teachers. It's a great situation for those who can afford to live in these areas.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Not sure where you're coming from--a laptop per middle and high schooler certainly is a per student expenditure. DC has a much bigger school budget than Henrico, yet its schools are terrible. It's not about what is spent whether on a total or per pupil basis. Western Henrico and Mechanicsville schools are uniformly excellent because they draw from an educated upper middle class and the parents are extremely involved both at the school and at home. Also, these areas have an easy time attracting good teachers. It's a great situation for those who can afford to live in these areas.
Original OP specifically asked for places closer to Williamsburg than Glen Allen. Just saying that their overall budget is more - I never mentioned per student spending - that was you - I know that a per student spending does not make a better school/student - overall budget includes salaries, infrastructure etc...

I worked for henrico county for 16 years - budget line items are more than per pupil spending - I was just letting the OP know that they had a bigger budget than New Kent - I was supplying info to let the OP make up their own minds from information they get here and their own personal research and based on their personal circumstances- I never said one school was better than the other. Bringing DC schools into the topic is way off base considering what the OP asked.

People from less so called educated upper middle class families are also extremely involved with their children.

Old 11-30-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Original OP specifically asked for places closer to Williamsburg than Glen Allen. Just saying that their overall budget is more - I never mentioned per student spending - that was you - I know that a per student spending does not make a better school/student - overall budget includes salaries, infrastructure etc...

I worked for henrico county for 16 years - budget line items are more than per pupil spending - I was just letting the OP know that they had a bigger budget than New Kent - I was supplying info to let the OP make up their own minds from information they get here and their own personal research and based on their personal circumstances- I never said one school was better than the other. Bringing DC schools into the topic is way off base considering what the OP asked.

People from less so called educated upper middle class families are also extremely involved with their children.
And I'm pointing out that the OP asked for good schools and to call New Kent's schools good would be quite a stretch.

New Kent County Pblc Schs - New Kent VA

Old 11-30-2010, 07:21 AM

14 posts, read 17,871 times
Thanks so much for the info - this is all really helpful and has helped me to narrow down my search area should the move happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond