Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 12:52 AM

12 posts, read 20,370 times

Advertisements

I wany to move my family from Ocala, FL to Richmond. My main concern is jobs. I have looked on all the "common" job search sites and to no avail have found little. Does Richmond have a local site that many jobs post to? I've looked at State, County and City also. My background in IT(MCP), admin, restaurants and military. I am very diverse and have done many things. A point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 07:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,337,529 times
You may want to go to the website of a company directly. Richmond is home to several Foutune 500 companies...Check out: Circuit City, Dominion Resources, Genworth Financial, Meadwestvaco, Carmax, Perofrmance Food Group, LandAmerica Financial, Universal, Brinks, Markel,Albemarle,Massey Energy. Just go to their websites and see what's available. YOu can also check out Bon Secour Hospital.

Good luck!

Old 12-09-2010, 10:29 AM

19,340 posts, read 17,256,396 times
Circuit city is no longer..Richmond is not a large "IT" market you could also check the county/city goverment sites for openings as well as the colleges.

Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,162,161 times
I would agree on looking up the above companies, with the exception of Circuit City as they went out of business a few years back.

The other thing I would recommend, with your military and IT background, is going to USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site. With the BRAC decision to increase the size of Fort Lee, you might be able to find a position there. Another thing would be to see about getting a list of the contractors at the installation as they are oftener hiring.

Best of luck!

Old 12-16-2010, 06:16 PM

92 posts, read 255,365 times
I know you said you tried the normal job sites, so you probably already did this, but did you try Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com It's one of my favorite sites for job searching. It also gives you a good idea of the companies in the area. I'm not originally from Richmond so when I was job searching it helped me learn the different companies in the area. Owens & Minor is also a huge company in the Richmond area.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:32 PM

12 posts, read 20,370 times
I appreciate all the info, and I am checking each site and each company. As well as IT and Military, I also have a background in admin and restaurants, so I am checking any possible position. I look forward to hearing your future comments

Old 12-29-2010, 12:45 PM

8 posts, read 17,086 times
Look at Northrop Grumman and The Federal Reserve Bank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: