Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Merger with the City doesn't mean Henrico's government hoisting a white flag - I think we would have greater success tackling REGIONAL issues such as poverty, affordable housing, public transportation, and economic development if we approached them as a single entity. The City continues to grow, clean up, and redevelop. Trends for the younger generations are for living in more urban, walkable environments. Older suburbs in the counties will decline, and the poor and crime will be pushed out to these areas as gentrification continues to take hold in the city.

"What can you offer to me?" Why aren't we asking "What can we do together?"
Can you show any empirical evidence supporting these claims? You introduce a theory as a statement of fact.

Why don't we just annex Mexico while we're at it? They have little to offer economically (to say the least), but we could do a lot together--namely increase Mexicans' standard of living while decreasing ours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 05:00 PM

3,840 posts, read 3,069,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Yeah, consider me among the doubters. The city has a property tax rate of $1.20 per $100 and the county has a tax rate of $0.87/$100. The city spends 50% more per pupil and it does a horrible job. I think I'd have to pass on this offer.
And Richmond's prepared meal tax is better than twice that of Henrico's (I'm not sure about Chesterfield but I'm sure Richmond's is higher also).

Hey, I'm not anti city of Richmond. I'm just not convinced Henrico and Chesterfield would ever vote to merge with Richmond. I'm all for regional cooperation but can't that be accomplished without creating some huge city? The place where I grew up has a regional council of governments (representing 3 counties) that is tasked with addressing regional issues such as transportation. Not always effective but at least they try.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Merger with the City doesn't mean Henrico's government hoisting a white flag - I think we would have greater success tackling REGIONAL issues such as poverty, affordable housing, public transportation, and economic development if we approached them as a single entity. The City continues to grow, clean up, and redevelop. Trends for the younger generations are for living in more urban, walkable environments. Older suburbs in the counties will decline, and the poor and crime will be pushed out to these areas as gentrification continues to take hold in the city.

"What can you offer to me?" Why aren't we asking "What can we do together?"
It always seems that the regional issues are areas of interest from Richmond not the surrounding counties. Whenever a project is proposed such a new ball park the city automatically assumes they are in charge, they get the biggest profit/share, they will place it within the city. Response and support from the counties....0.

Henrico like most suburban regions has developed around the car it's not to say their is not a want for some form of public transit but county leaders have stated publically they have not received requests. Unlike decades ago there is not a central buisness core in the city so where should the transit go to?

I agree that suburbs will cycle and younger people will drawn towards the city thats normal. But once these younger people have families and school becomes an issue they will do like generations before and either move to the burbs or go the private route. Although great progress has been made the city schools severly lag behind their suburban counterparts.

What can we do together? Good question how about by starting with a stable, less corrupt goverment in the city then maybe others will be interested in doing buisness with them.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,318,757 times
Interesting commentary:
Suburban Injustice | Articles/Archives | Style Weekly

Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 PM

A good a article, seems to hit Richmonds issues right on the head..

Old 02-16-2011, 04:08 PM

68 posts, read 138,210 times
Richmond is closer to being a very large city than small city. In reality its a mid sized city.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 PM

68 posts, read 138,210 times
The guy who compared Richmond to Albany is dumber than the person who called it a small city, lol. Albany isnt even a top 250 city!!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
The guy who compared Richmond to Albany is dumber than the person who called it a small city, lol. Albany isnt even a top 250 city!!!!
If you would read instead of assuming you would see the comparisson was made because both are capital cities and both have lost their significance over the last 50-60 years in their regions...

Old 02-23-2011, 11:26 AM

106 posts, read 263,397 times
never been to Albany but i think comparison is on point based on what i researched and seen from youtube videos, both cities are weak capitals, both cities are small, both cities are run down, both look like they got the same type of ancient outdated architecture and both cities are irrelevent. got richmond all over it to me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvmpOuu5Fvk

Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,778,862 times
Of course there are smaller cities than Richmond. City is just a governmental structure. But in my opinion, Richmond is a small city. Meaning its a city - I wouldn't really call Petersburg a city. Or Charlottesville. And its small, compared to the cities I've lived in - it has, like it or not, a "small" feel.

I like that these days. I can see how others might not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond