Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM

20 posts, read 59,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
You're telling me you never met a native who currently as an adult lives in the same house they grew up in? Church Hill is full of people like this, same with the West End.. farms in the outskirts like those in Varina..
Aside from a friend who is temporarily living with her parents, no. That's probably more common with the 50+ crowd, I imagine.

I grew up in Richmond, but technically you could say I "come" from NYC. It's just that I came from there when I was 2.

I do often refer to Richmond as a small city, but that's speaking relatively, compared to other cities where I spend a good deal of time, like NYC, Philly, and DC. I actually think of it as a medium-sized city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,795,800 times
Thing is, if Richmond is a "large" city, as the apparently lightly-traveled poster above states, then what is Boston - a "VERY large city"? In which case, are Washington, New Yor and London VERY VERY large cities, or ginormously huge?

How about Seattle? Or SF?

Looked at reasonably, and not through some Starbucks-like everything-is-a-flavor-of-large, Richmond is a small city. Large enough to be called a city with a straight face, but only barely.

And yeah, I include the counties in that.

The poster, ?Viper? is welcome to travel around the world claiming Richmond is a large city. He just needs to be tolerant of being laughed at.

Nothing wrong with being a small city. That's the reason those of us from Large cities moved here.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:33 AM

894 posts, read 2,326,240 times
These are my definitions of city sizes:

Small = metro of 75,000 to 200,000 (Charlottesville)
Small to Mid-Size= metro of 300,000 to 900,000 (Roanoke)
Mid-Size to Large= metro of 1,000,000 to 2,000,000 (Richmond, Hampton Roads)
Large to National = 2,000,000 to 5,000,000 (Pittsburgh, Baltimore)
National to International = 5,000,000 above. (DC, NYC)

Note: These are metro areas, not just city population. Having looked at maps over the years and reading various reference articles is where I draw my conclusions from. Some cities straddle the line. I think of cities like Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco, and Seattle as some which have been debated as to whether they are national or international centers or not.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Thing is, if Richmond is a "large" city, as the apparently lightly-traveled poster above states, then what is Boston - a "VERY large city"? In which case, are Washington, New Yor and London VERY VERY large cities, or ginormously huge?

How about Seattle? Or SF?

Looked at reasonably, and not through some Starbucks-like everything-is-a-flavor-of-large, Richmond is a small city. Large enough to be called a city with a straight face, but only barely.

And yeah, I include the counties in that.

The poster, ?Viper? is welcome to travel around the world claiming Richmond is a large city. He just needs to be tolerant of being laughed at.

Nothing wrong with being a small city. That's the reason those of us from Large cities moved here.

Viper has embarrassed you in this thread. The only people who are laughing are at you. A 5 year old wouldnt call a city with 1.2 million in the metro area as "small"

You are either a troll, or disturbingly stupid. Im not sure which it is. Hopefully a troll.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:11 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,447,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
I think it would be a great idea. Think about all the duplications of services we have... 3 governing bodies, 3 planning departments, 3 police departments, 3 fire departments, 3 school systems etc.

We could save quite a bit of money = reduced tax rates.
Pick out the best of each locality (basically Henrico County's government)

Instead of competing against one another, we could combine our efforts and compete together against other metro areas.
That would be the WORST thing that could happen. Henrico does everything it can to separate itself from the city. I'm from Boston (West Roxbury) Which has a suburban feel, mostly houses, upper middle class. very nice area to live. BUT because West Roxbury is only a neighborhood of the City of Boston, looks aside we had crap schools, high taxes, high car insurance etc... If West Roxbury could be it's own Town it would have been the perfect place to live. Would you but a house in the West End when the schools were equivalent to Petersburg's?

Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,339,936 times
You guys jumped on me like the commenters on a Michael Paul Williams article... Chill out. It's never going to happen. My point wasn't to make everything suck... my point was that we should do a better job working together as a region. Our regional cooperation sucks thanks to the "everything we can do to not associate ourselves with the poor, black, corrupt city" attitude that permeates here... in the meantime, other regions work together to get things done while leaving us behind. At least we have our 4 little fiefdoms.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:22 PM

19,331 posts, read 17,292,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
You guys jumped on me like the commenters on a Michael Paul Williams article... Chill out. It's never going to happen. My point wasn't to make everything suck... my point was that we should do a better job working together as a region. Our regional cooperation sucks thanks to the "everything we can do to not associate ourselves with the poor, black, corrupt city" attitude that permeates here... in the meantime, other regions work together to get things done while leaving us behind. At least we have our 4 little fiefdoms.
Corrupt is the key word, not race. The city has continued to show it is a bad steward of the people money maybe when that changes "the regions" attitude will change. The city also needs to approach/recommend a joint project by not assuming that they will be in charge, they will control everything, they are the primary benifactor!

Old 03-20-2011, 12:41 AM

1,517 posts, read 2,795,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake3 View Post
Viper has embarrassed you in this thread. The only people who are laughing are at you. A 5 year old wouldnt call a city with 1.2 million in the metro area as "small"

You are either a troll, or disturbingly stupid. Im not sure which it is. Hopefully a troll.
Funny, yet cosmopolitan... very impressive.

Old 03-20-2011, 02:05 AM

247 posts, read 500,269 times
Anybody who lives around the Richmond area knowns it's a small city in terms of numbers compared to places like NYC, DC, Philly, LA, San Fran, ect. Also anyone who lives around here knows you go anywhere and you'll constantly run into the same people numerous times. Thats what gives it the small city feel.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:41 AM

68 posts, read 138,861 times
Richmond is closer to being a large city with 1.2 million in its metro area. Some of you have to be joking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond