Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 04:31 PM

68 posts, read 138,323 times

Advertisements

City Data wouldnt even have a seperate forum for it If it wasnt at least mid sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 PM

699 posts, read 2,238,424 times
Nothing wrong with being a small city.

Think about it like this.

No one would consider Fairfax County the size of a "large/mid-size city".

Yet Fairfax County alone has only ~120,000 people less than the entire Greater Richmond Metropolitan Area in an area slightly smaller than the size of Chesterfield County. And that's not including Fairfax City in the middle of Fairfax County which is a separate jurisdiction.

Nothing wrong with it. It just is what it is. And many people love the life that Richmond currently provides.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:11 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,781,215 times
In all seriousness, Viper, you really need to travel some. You are coming across as a hick.

I like Richmond. I like how small it is. I'm never going to publicly embarrass myself in another city by calling it anything but a small city. C'mon people, not everything in this world has to be a flavor of extra-large. Do you realize how small-town silly some of you sound? Once again, this isn't Starbucks (and C-ville isn't a city, btw. Corporate form does not matter, as a moments thought will make clear). (Ok, this is thread is amusing me more than it should. It is fun though)

Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 AM

247 posts, read 498,885 times
sooo i have a question...if richmond is such a 'big city', when VCU was in the final four, why was the media calling richmond a small city of 200,000? not sure about the 200,000 but reguardless they called it a small city.....hmmmm

Old 04-14-2011, 08:23 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,427,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
LOL, you are retarded to call it a small city. It has 200,000 people and 1.2 milliom metro area. Its mid size

A small city is 50,000, like Petersburg
200,000 IS a small city, I'm from Boston which is small for a major city and it has like 550,000. Petersburg should be a town, especially in this state where cities are independent. Thats not enough of a population to support itself. Which is VERY apparent by driving thru Pburg. Theres plenty of towns in MA and other places with over 100,000 people in them. For some reason in VA if you have any type of population your automatically a city.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,427,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I would view Richmond as a small city similar to Albany NY. I don't believe in counting the metro area becasue Henrico for example could be a self substained city unto itself without Richmond.
What do you mean could be? It is. Henrico has better infrastructural, more money, better schools, and really has no ties to the city itself. Especially since the last couple years they keep reclaiming zip codes to Henrico and removing the word Richmond from everything. What to you think all those Welcome to Henrico signs are? I think it's hilarious.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 PM

326 posts, read 689,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
City Data wouldnt even have a seperate forum for it If it wasnt at least mid sized.
I agree it's mid-size but what state capital doesn't have its own forum?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
What do you mean could be? It is. Henrico has better infrastructural, more money, better schools, and really has no ties to the city itself. Especially since the last couple years they keep reclaiming zip codes to Henrico and removing the word Richmond from everything. What to you think all those Welcome to Henrico signs are? I think it's hilarious.
I say good riddance. I'd like to keep Henrico and Richmond separate as they are very different and I choose to live in Richmond because its Richmond. Henrico is just another superficial corporate sprawl.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
200,000 IS a small city, I'm from Boston which is small for a major city and it has like 550,000. Petersburg should be a town, especially in this state where cities are independent. Thats not enough of a population to support itself. Which is VERY apparent by driving thru Pburg. Theres plenty of towns in MA and other places with over 100,000 people in them. For some reason in VA if you have any type of population your automatically a city.
Even though Boston may only have 550,000 people, I'd still consider it a very large city. Same goes for San Francisco which has 800,000. I'd say Richmond's influence as the state capital and presence of a Federal Reserve building automatically make it a mid-size city.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM

247 posts, read 498,885 times
pretty sure all state capitols have forums, reguardless of size
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond