Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:10 PM

19,221 posts, read 17,102,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
What do you mean could be? It is. Henrico has better infrastructural, more money, better schools, and really has no ties to the city itself. Especially since the last couple years they keep reclaiming zip codes to Henrico and removing the word Richmond from everything. What to you think all those Welcome to Henrico signs are? I think it's hilarious.
I'm not arguing but they are still incorporated as a county...for now. The zip code name change returned @6 million dollars that was being send to Richmond and they wouldn't return...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 AM

153 posts, read 380,935 times
Actually, there are several states on here without subforums...even for their capitals. (Delaware, Rhode Island, W. Virginia, etc) Maybe its because of the size/population of the state??

Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 PM

109 posts, read 157,923 times
I've read this and I don't feel like Richmond is a small city. On a global scale YES on a national scale NO and especially not a Southern United States scale. I feel like as Americans we say BIG cities are NY, PHILLY, CHICAGO, LA, ETC ETC..but these cities are tiny compared to the largest cities in the world. So i feel its unfair to compare Richmond to a Big City in which there is no comparison. Population wise Richmond is medium but as far as urban density Richmond is large compared to most cities in the south. Even cities that are bigger in population have no where near as dense of an urban core as Richmond for ex: Virginia Beach, Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, etc etc. As far as a small town feel to Richmond there isn't one AT ALL.. I feel like people relocate to Richmond because its cultured and urban on a smaller scale like a mini Baltimore or Philly. A small city or town would be Williamsburg,Poqouson, Downtown Suffolk or Downtown Smithfield these are small cities with small town feels. I currently live in Portsmouth Va and I have this conversation all the time Portsmouth is a city of 100,000( fairly low) but with 3000 people per sq mile there is no way i would consider it a city with a small town feel.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_R View Post
I've read this and I don't feel like Richmond is a small city. On a global scale YES on a national scale NO and especially not a Southern United States scale. I feel like as Americans we say BIG cities are NY, PHILLY, CHICAGO, LA, ETC ETC..but these cities are tiny compared to the largest cities in the world. So i feel its unfair to compare Richmond to a Big City in which there is no comparison. Population wise Richmond is medium but as far as urban density Richmond is large compared to most cities in the south. Even cities that are bigger in population have no where near as dense of an urban core as Richmond for ex: Virginia Beach, Atlanta, Charlotte, Jacksonville, etc etc. As far as a small town feel to Richmond there isn't one AT ALL.. I feel like people relocate to Richmond because its cultured and urban on a smaller scale like a mini Baltimore or Philly. A small city or town would be Williamsburg,Poqouson, Downtown Suffolk or Downtown Smithfield these are small cities with small town feels. I currently live in Portsmouth Va and I have this conversation all the time Portsmouth is a city of 100,000( fairly low) but with 3000 people per sq mile there is no way i would consider it a city with a small town feel.

I agree with everything that you said except the bold part. These are all large cities. List of metropolitan areas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2 are the top 20 metros and chicago is just outside of the top 20 at 10 million.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
I agree with everything that you said except the bold part. These are all large cities. List of metropolitan areas by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2 are the top 20 metros and chicago is just outside of the top 20 at 10 million.
List of cities proper by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-27-2011, 11:30 PM

Sorry if I didn't make it clear ,but I was saying solely on population. You can subtract NYC population from Shanghai and its still has more population or falls very short of any two of Americas biggest cities combined excluding NYC.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:53 PM

269 posts, read 256,049 times
It's a mid-sized city. I was born in the big city itself, Queens, so I wouldn't say Richmond is "small", but is it big? No it isn't, and it doesn't have a big city feel. It also doesn't have a small town feel. Sometimes it seems as if Richmond feels cold and repressive, but that doesn't necessarily=small town culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond