Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:12 AM

68 posts, read 138,130 times

Advertisements

Because Ive seen in a few posts a few people saying Richmond is a very small city, LOL. Only somebody from New York City would say that. Hell Richmond is a very, very large city for people who are from Mayberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 09:29 AM

894 posts, read 2,314,913 times
It's all perception, and where you are from. Or maybe they have lived here there whole lives and feel it's small. In another post I replied that people who think Richmond is small have not lived in a real small town. Compared to Farmville, Richmond might as well be NYC. While Richmond is nowhere near the size of NYC, and it never will be, Richmond is a major city. Considered mid sized, but to me any city with a metro of a million or more is a large city.

For perspective on the situation, my best friend who grew up outside NYC was with me going into Philadelphia. My reaction was, "Wow, this is a big city". His, "What are you talking about, this is small".

On the DC forum, some posters have stated how DC is such a small city. DC! With it's CSA including Baltimore, it's metro swells to be the second biggest on the east coast!

But to the original question, yes, Richmond does have many transplants from the NYC area, Philly, Boston etc. My step-father worked in Richmond for years and had many co-workers from up north. Him included.

Last edited by ShadowBat; 02-08-2011 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-08-2011, 02:42 PM

68 posts, read 118,384 times
Richmond is a mid-sized city often compared to Lexington, Ky.

There is not that many Northerners moving down as some of us would like to think. Northerners are moving to Northern VA or NC where there is more opportunity and better wages. Personally I think NYC is losing it's touch with other Northern cities. People are finding out that paying high rent is not worth the effort when your apartment is not even new. If only Richmonders would wake up and realize that our government does not want us to have anything, they want us to keep being the taxpayers for Northern Va.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,416 times
Richmond IS a small city. Not a small town, but a small city.

And yeah, I've lived in a lot of cities. And small towns even.

Don't get me wrong, the small city is one of the things that I like about Richmond. I've done DC and NYC, Boston and Miami, etc etc - small is where I'm at at this point

Old 02-10-2011, 10:15 AM

68 posts, read 138,130 times
LOL, you are retarded to call it a small city. It has 200,000 people and 1.2 milliom metro area. Its mid size

A small city is 50,000, like Petersburg

Old 02-11-2011, 01:01 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper952 View Post
LOL, you are retarded to call it a small city. It has 200,000 people and 1.2 milliom metro area. Its mid size

A small city is 50,000, like Petersburg
Well just because it has a lot of people does not mean those people interact a lot. Most people that I know of live in houses that their parents/grandparents/great grandparents lived in also. There are lots of farms depending on what you consider the city and in terms of social interaction it does seem like a small place.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
Most people that I know of live in houses that their parents/grandparents/great grandparents lived in also.
Huh? Are we even in the same city?

Old 02-12-2011, 10:02 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Huh? Are we even in the same city?
You're telling me you never met a native who currently as an adult lives in the same house they grew up in? Church Hill is full of people like this, same with the West End.. farms in the outskirts like those in Varina..

Old 02-13-2011, 08:01 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
I would view Richmond as a small city similar to Albany NY. I don't believe in counting the metro area becasue Henrico for example could be a self substained city unto itself without Richmond.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:50 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
You're telling me you never met a native who currently as an adult lives in the same house they grew up in? Church Hill is full of people like this, same with the West End.. farms in the outskirts like those in Varina..
I know of a few people like that, but to say most?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond