Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 PM

15 posts, read 36,663 times

Advertisements

Hello

This summer , we are looking at moving to Richmond VA from SC ( after living here for 10 years :-) ). My husband got a job transfer and will be working in Glen Allen area.

Currently we have a 7th grader and 2nd grader, both honors students doing advanced courses, active in multiple extracurricular activities like band, piano, chess, theatre.

We are looking for a safe family friendly neighborhood. Please tell us about some schools with nurturing & challenging environment.

Also, what are our high school choices? How does high school application works in Richmond/Henrico etc. Does zoning matter?

regards

Last edited by np21; 01-10-2012 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by np21 View Post
Hello

This summer , we are looking at moving to Richmond VA from SC ( after living here for 10 years :-) ). My husband got a job transfer and will be working in Glen Allen area.

Currently we have a 7th grader and 2nd grader, both honors students doing advanced courses, active in multiple extracurricular activities like band, piano, chess, theatre.

We are looking for a safe family friendly neighborhood. Please tell us about some schools with nurturing & challenging environment.

Also, what are our high school choices? How does high school application works in Richmond/Henrico etc. Does zoning matter?

regards
Top high schools are Deep Run and Godwin. There are specialty centers in all the Henrico high schools that you can apply to as well. Look in 23233 or 23059. Many of the best elementary schools in the state. The resources I used when relocating were:

SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools (this site ranks schools based on SOLs--you will see how many very highly ranked schools Western Henrico has)
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

My recommendations for neighborhoods to start with: Twin Hickory, Wellsley, Wyndham.

Also, here is a recent article on the 2012 Governor's Excellence Awards:

http://www.downtownshortpump.com/2012/01/09/west-end-schools-among-receipients-of-2012-governors-excellence-awards/ (broken link)

It sounds like your transition will be easy. This area is very family oriented and filled with high achieving children and very involved parents.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM

thankyou sls76, for your inputs. I'll look into these areas and schools.

We are also natural food aficionado and would love to know more about some good local farmers market and dairies.

regards

Old 01-11-2012, 05:42 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,847 times
Here is a good Resource:
Henrico County Public Schools

Old 01-11-2012, 06:30 PM

418 posts, read 1,049,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by np21 View Post
thankyou sls76, for your inputs. I'll look into these areas and schools.

We are also natural food aficionado and would love to know more about some good local farmers market and dairies.

regards

We have a load of farmer's markets - this is a partial list - the South of the James Mkt on Forest Hill is the biggest one.

The Market Umbrella | Local Farmers, Local Business, Local People – coming together under one umbrella

Averys Branch Farms Store They have farm days on occasion - tons of fun for the kids.

Scroll down on the right side of this blog page - lists of all you are looking for and more....

Richmond Food Collective: One Great Winter Food Co-Op

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM

Thank you ellieb128 and PickPatrick for your links. I'll check them out.

btw how is Mechanicsville and its houses/school compared to Glen Allen?

Last edited by np21; 01-11-2012 at 09:22 PM..

Old 01-12-2012, 02:49 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,697,862 times
Mechanicsville, Midlothian, and Short Pump have the best schools in the area on paper. Any of them would be fine. You will get more for your money in Mechanicsville or Midlothian than Short Pump.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:20 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
South of the James Market is great... check out Ellwood Thompson's and Tom Leonard's market as well. Forgot to mention Good Foods Grocery.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
My husband works in Innsbrook in Short Pump. We looked in both Glen Allen and Midlothian. We ultimately went with Glen Allen as his commute is 10 minutes, door-to-door where as in Midlo it was going to be 20-25 minutes, and coming from an area where we had LONG commutes, we wanted something short. That being said, we could have built the same house (b/c they offered the same home) for a lot less. (Can't be sure of the exact number, but maybe $30-40K less)

Old 03-11-2012, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 10,154 times
Glad I found this site moving to Va gle Allen in the summer. My husband to has accepted a position in glen Allen. How is the rental market in this area. Wanting to wait to buy to be sure we like the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond