Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 PM

774 posts, read 1,856,844 times

Advertisements

(lol) I'm amazed at how much land you can buy INSIDE Richmond. (One to five acres seems like a lot of wonderful land to me.)

I'm a 58 year old boomer with dreams of raising some dogs, all my vegetables, some fruit trees, etc...

But with an acre or more, I'm wondering about the restrictions on chickens, turkeys ... even a pig and a few goats!

1.) Is it possible in some of the less restricted areas perhaps?

2.) Or would I have to buy in a rural area like Dinwiddie?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:41 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,432 times
I am curious about the answers you get. I love farm animals and planning to buy my first house within a year. I might end up buying a small farm so I can raise some chickens/ducks and goats (and have my own shooting range in the backyard) if I can find one close enough to be within reasonable commute from my work Downtown.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 AM

111 posts, read 241,937 times
Have you looked in Varina? All you do is drive 5-10 minutes east on Route 5 past Shockoe Bottom and it's a very rural feel. They are building a lot of homes there, but it seems like there is a good bit of acreage you could buy. And it is superclose to the city.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:22 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,315,194 times
Do you mean inside the City Limits or inside the Richmond area (which would include Henrico, Hanover, and Chesterfield)?

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,031 times
You can get acreage inside the city limits, but it's tough, and you probably don't want to live there. Certainly you can get animal friendly acreage within a very short drive of the city easily - hanover, goochland, powhatan and Eastern henrico county (probably eastern and southern chesterfield too).

Old 03-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Default why?

"You can get acreage inside the city limits, but it's tough, and you probably don't want to live there.

Yes ... I've seen some posted and I'm curious about the areas. The houses with acreage seem to be on the edge of ... someplace and the some of the homes look like they've been empty for a while. Others appear to be fixers that aren't in the best of shape.

So? May I ask you to be honest and candid about why people wouldn't want to live there? High crime? Drug areas? Taxes?

The thing I love about City-Data is it isn't about pulling one group of people down. It's about trading real and honest information.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:50 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,776,031 times
perceived crime/low income areas. I can think of a couple of places that are actually fine, but the perception is there.

There are always tradeoffs. Desirable acreage in the city exists, but it is very very expensive by Richmond standards.

Flip side, acreage in the counties is incredibly close. Not urban, but not a hike either.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 PM

Default oh that...

Quote:
perceived crime/low income areas. I can think of a couple of places that are actually fine, but the perception is there.
Just that?
THANK YOU CHARLES. This is when the board is working well. Thank you for giving me a more honest reply.
That's fine with me. I don't give a hoot about "perception."
I'm black so it sounds like those areas are black too?

un ... not a problem. ((chuckle))
BUT ... I've seen YouTube videos of gangs in Richmond and I don't want to jump out of the fire and into the frying pan. As long as it's not across the street from a housing project and guns shots aren't being heard nightly and the area lacks home invasions, I'm fine.

If there's a bunch of low income people with land, and that's all, then I'm fine.
What concerns me is:
  • Water (fresh or clean enough to be filtered)
    Soil (bad soil could take a long time to build up)
    Yearly Home taxes
    Zoning that allows me to raise my big dogs, a horse, and maybe some goats and chickens. (And maybe that pig too?)
    Internet Availability (I've heard that in areas like South Boston, it's hard to get internet connections)

Again, thanks Charles for your candor.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 AM

121 posts, read 270,692 times
My understanding is that there are some places in the city where the soil has a lot of lead, that if you want to grow veggies there, it would be safer to use raised beds.

As for animals, I live in Henrico, and I have read that as long as you keep them 400' away from another property line, it is OK. Not sure about Richmond City...

Old 03-09-2012, 08:10 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,432 times
What's the point of buying a farm so close to the city....aren't you trying to get AWAY from the city?

I have been looking at Powhatan and Goochland lately, especially about the prospect of buying a small farm. Does anyone know if you are allowed to have your own private shooting range in the backyard in Powhatan county if you have a large piece of land with enough space etc. to mitigage any safety concerns? Will be a while before I actually buy one but I am researching possibilities, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: