Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2006, 10:07 AM

458 posts, read 2,291,604 times

Advertisements

We live in beautiful, but expensive New England and are praying about and considering moving our family somewhere less expensive so that we can have a little more financial ease--perhaps to travel! Someone recently recommended Richmond and I am looking for more information on what it is like to live there.

Is there lots of big city traffic?
Is the city itself very livable?
How much house and land can you get for your money?
How's the cost of living?
How's the job market?
How far out do you have to go to be in the sticks?
How much Hispanic community is there? (We are a bilingual family)
What's the college community like? I have worked with students for years and am likely to continue to do so, as well as thinking about getting my doctorate in education or ed. psychology.

We are looking for such a wonderful place that we could call it home forever and our kids would not want to hop the next train for NYC once they turn 18.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 12:38 PM

72 posts, read 297,426 times
Default Its less here but I don't know where in NE you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
We live in beautiful, but expensive New England and are praying about and considering moving our family somewhere less expensive so that we can have a little more financial ease--perhaps to travel! Someone recently recommended Richmond and I am looking for more information on what it is like to live there.

How's the job market?
What's the college community like? I have worked with students for years and am likely to continue to do so, as well as thinking about getting my doctorate in education or ed. psychology.

We are looking for such a wonderful place that we could call it home forever and our kids would not want to hop the next train for NYC once they turn 18.

Thanks.
1. I have been here 15 yrs. Originally from LI, NY. No there is not big city traffic in Richmond. There are accidents on 95 and other interstates that will slow you down, but having commuted to NYC, it's not as difficult.

2. There is city living here but nothing like NY. You could check out the Fan District or other Richmond city areas that have been renovating warehouses into condos. Church Hill is another old city area that is growing quite a bit. The fan and church hill have pretty old residences near storefronts and you can actually walk to a restaurant or a shop. You do still pretty much need a car though.

3. I don't know where in New England you are but generally you can get more here for your money. It really depends where you want to be because neighborhoods and prices vary tremendously. The fan real estate has really gone up (23220 zip and nearby), but if you would be selling up there you could prob get a lot more for what you sold.

4. I think food might be a little higher here in grocery stores but restaurants and gas cheaper. VA has personal property taxes on cars, boats, but if you don't have a brand new car it's not bad at all. NY and Mass. state taxes are out of this world, VA is nothing in comparison.

5. Job market is good- lots of growth here, although I guess it would depend on what you are looking for.

6. It completely depends on where you live to get out into rural areas. They are generally about 30 mins or less. The eastern part of the state like Rappahanock, Mathews, Kilmarnock are like going back in time. It's soo rural and pretty, near the Chesapeake Bay. And other areas west too- mountains.

7. There are lots of hispanics moving here, opening markets and restaurants and doing construction. They seem to be doing well.

8. for colleges: VCU (VA Commonwealth Univ.) Univ. of Richmond, Virginia Union University and lots of community colleges. Also some other colleges outside Richmond: Randolph Macon, Longwood, William & Mary, I think have satellite campuses.

I like it that winters are not as cold or long lasting and I really have so much more house than my friends on LI could never had afforded. But theres no place like NYC!

Mary

Old 11-03-2007, 01:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,733 times
Default Living in Richmond Virginia

I grew up in New England (Connecticut). Besides have a much milder climate there are many things I prefer about Richmond, VA to New England.

Traffic is moderate in most parts of town. Rush hour can be frustrating in certain areas.

The average 3 bed 2.5 bath home runs about 250k to 300k in most parts of town.
Cost of living is considerably less than New England. Just an estimate, I would say 25-35% less.

Job market is strong and unemployment figures are just a bit better than in New England.

You'll be in the "sticks" if you're 20 miles outside of town.

Hispanic community is growing fast and well established.

Many students and colleges, look to the "Fan" area for the highest concentration of academics.

NYC seems cold and lonely compared to Richmond, VA. Chances are you and your children will love it here.

================================================== ====

How's the job market?

Last edited by Yac; 11-03-2007 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: link to a realtor site removed

Old 11-23-2007, 03:14 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,380,701 times
just come on down! you wont ever waNT TO LEAVE.....UNLESS YOU MISS BEING SNOWED IN THEN STAY IN NEW ENGLAND ....YOU WONT REGRET IT THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL STATE AND IF YOU ARE BI LINGUAL YOU MIGHT CONSIDER LEARNING SOUTHERNEASE!!!! (sorry about the caps yac my mistake fat fingers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond