Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Virginia: Richmond, taxes, job market, housing, townhome, traffic, real estate.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,068 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in a small town outside of Buffalo, New York. Both of our kids are grown and living in the DC/Northern Virginia area. My folks have a place in Florida now and will eventually be there permanently. We are in our mid forties and see no reason to stay in New York State and pay the outrageous taxes here for the remainder of our working years. This will be the "buffer" move - before we retire in 18 years or so.

I'd like to be closer to the kids (but DC area is way too hectic and pricey for my tastes) and a little closer to Florida so that we can trek down there to visit mom and dad for a few days occaisionally without a 24 hour drive or flying. I think we have it narrowed down to the Richmond area. It seems like it is pretty centrally located to DC, the beach, the mountains and the folks in Florida without being TOO southern. We also have some friends who are in North Carolina that would be fun to see more often. I like a change in seasons - but can do without our horrendous winters up here. We like to golf. Do you think we are on the right track with the Richmond area?

I want to plan an exploratory visit to that area in the spring. We'll both need to find jobs - he's in Banking/Finance and I'm in Human Resources, mostly experience in the Health Care/Health Insurance industry.We'd like to downsize a little on the housing - maybe even go into a townhome or a smaller single family home with a manageable yard. We're used to a 35 - 40 minute commute to work (which turns into an hour in the winter!) and we like a small town feel but with access to shopping, cultural and sports activities. If anyone can give me some ideas of areas to see on our exploratory trip, or things to check out - any kind of resources to help us get started on this adventure that would be great! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 03:52 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
I lived in the DC area for many years. Richmond is only two hours driving time closer to FL, and if the parents are in S. Florida, you are looking at a very long drive, probably an overnighter.

If you have friends in NC, I'd go there. Driving from NC to FL should be doable in a day, weather is milder, it may be cheaper.

NC is becoming a retirement destination, is an easy day's drive to DC to see the kids. Should be lots to do there.

I think Richmond is more of a working town than a retirement venue.

s/Mike

Old 09-23-2006, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,068 times
thanks Mike. Actually the folks are near Ocala - The Villages, so, the drive from the Richmond area would be doable for us on occaision. I can currently drive to DC from Buffalo in 7 hours. I want to be more like 1.5 to 2 hours from the kids - so a Sunday dinner once a month is feasible and they don't all have to "move in" with us to visit! Plus, if i start getting grandchildren, I need to be able to babysit and stuff!! We aren't ready to retire - so a working town is what we need. I just gotta get out of Buffalo!! Do you know much about the Richmond area? I'm really looking for a virtual tour guide for our exploratory visit - it's not a vacation - more like a get to know the area thing.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:07 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,390,275 times
You may want to check out Fredericksburg as well. It's around 55 miles south of DC and around 70 miles north of Richmond. It's around one hour from Northern Virginia (well, that depends I suppose on exactly whereabouts in Northern Virginia your children are) and is technically part of the DC Metro area, but it's sort of its last outpost. It has a very nice downtown and feel to it and a good amount of shopping, sports and cultural amenities in the area, although it is growing rapidly and suburban sprawl threatens to encroach further upon it in the coming years, but by the point it gets overbearing, most likely you'll be out of the area anyways. Charlottesville is another possibility although it is a bit expensive, not relative to Northern Virginia but relative to other parts of the state.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 AM

72 posts, read 297,113 times
Default I live near and work in Richmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by melG View Post
My husband and I currently live in a small town outside of Buffalo, New York. Both of our kids are grown and living in the DC/Northern Virginia area. My folks have a place in Florida now and will eventually be there permanently. We are in our mid forties and see no reason to stay in New York State and pay the outrageous taxes here for the remainder of our working years. This will be the "buffer" move - before we retire in 18 years or so.

I'd like to be closer to the kids (but DC area is way too hectic and pricey for my tastes) and a little closer to Florida so that we can trek down there to visit mom and dad for a few days occaisionally without a 24 hour drive or flying. I think we have it narrowed down to the Richmond area. It seems like it is pretty centrally located to DC, the beach, the mountains and the folks in Florida without being TOO southern. We also have some friends who are in North Carolina that would be fun to see more often. I like a change in seasons - but can do without our horrendous winters up here. We like to golf. Do you think we are on the right track with the Richmond area?

I want to plan an exploratory visit to that area in the spring. We'll both need to find jobs - he's in Banking/Finance and I'm in Human Resources, mostly experience in the Health Care/Health Insurance industry.We'd like to downsize a little on the housing - maybe even go into a townhome or a smaller single family home with a manageable yard. We're used to a 35 - 40 minute commute to work (which turns into an hour in the winter!) and we like a small town feel but with access to shopping, cultural and sports activities. If anyone can give me some ideas of areas to see on our exploratory trip, or things to check out - any kind of resources to help us get started on this adventure that would be great! Thanks!!
Richmond doesn't really have a small town feeling...hmm, but areas surrounding might. Amelia in Chesterfield I think is still pretty quiet. And I think Powhatan- but that has been growing too, still pretty rural. I live in Petersburg and it is very much surrounded by farming, lots of green, rivers, tons of history around it too. But I know people are put off by it- due to poverty in area; I happen to like it because it does have a small town feeling and mostly because of lots of old buildings that people love to restore. Also has a nice downtown- oldtown area with shops, restaurants, galleries.
You can also look into areas east of Richmond, maybe New Kent county which is pretty quiet as well. Charlottesville is expensive but I think if you don't live right in C'ville, not too bad. And I think Fredericksburg is almost a DC suburb so that is definitely pricier than Richmond area. There are lots of employment opps too in Richmond...

Old 09-28-2006, 10:38 AM

23 posts, read 126,252 times
I went to school in Richmond, grew up in Franklin. Went to Mary Wash in Fredericksburg. I don't recommend Richmond. It has crime and is a city. If you have to have a city, live there. But if you like country, there's so much great country nearby.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:00 AM

108 posts, read 475,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhelly View Post
I don't recommend Richmond. It has crime and is a city. If you have to have a city, live there. But if you like country, there's so much great country nearby.
I keep reading about the horrible crime in Richmond. I went to college in downtown Atlanta, and never had any problems. There are definitely places to avoid, but so far the implications are that the whole city of Richmond is inhabited by criminals. Is there anyone who can paint a more realistic picture - like comparing Richmond to Atlanta, or just tell me if the crime is more than usual in a metro area.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 AM

58 posts, read 451,900 times
Default keep reading along

Honestly, I don't live in Richmond - don't have first hand info., but we have been researching the area for a few months now; I suggest you scroll back a few pages and look at all the Richmond posts you can find - lots of info. there and lots of good too. From what I've seen/read, small-er town feeling might (?) be found in Midlothian or Ashland. Also, check into the planned communities on the west side of Midlothian called Brandermill and Woodlake. There are few others - they look great to us; don't be looking elsewhere yet. The prices of real estate from Richmond to NoVa are night and day, and no, I don't believe Richmond can just flatly be called "full of crime". Small local pockets downtown, but not overall. We have European friends who lived in the Glen Allen area for 5 years and haven't stopped crying yet in 4 years back in Europe - they loved it so much - went in with no friends and still say that is where their heart is. And they are pretty particular people. I say keep looking - I'm watching your post cause we're interested too!

Old 10-01-2006, 04:36 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,373,579 times
richmond does have crime problem but i wouldnt know about it account of i have no need to enter richmond.
i live in the county and everything i need is out here . i live in the rural east henrico county if i need something i travel to mechaniscville or i cross the river to chester.
i have chosen the country lifestyle in east henrico if you want the urban sprawl look to the north,west and south of richmond. dont let the statistics scare you you wont ever need to deal with them unless you chose the urban lifestyle in the city!

Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 AM

72 posts, read 297,113 times
I live near Richmond and work in Richmond... There is crime but it is generally in certain areas that you would not choose to live in. I would not let that scare you away, just do as any alert person would- lock your doors and be aware of surroundings. There was a case the first of this year where an entire family was murdered, it was horrendous and caused a ton of publicity. The 2 guys that committed it were from Philadelphia and recently released (too soon) from prison. They left a trail of violence not just in Richmond but in other areas. It happened that the ex girlfriend of one lived in Richmond- they killed her and her parents too, ugh, don't get me started on that- the creeps were caught very quickly. That crime has nothing to do with Richmond and caused a big reaction about Richmond crime. The family had not had their doors locked - not to blame them in the least but that was the circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond