Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 11:09 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,429,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camer View Post
2 + years on Richmond and I LOVE IT!
We lived in Boston for many years before moving here. I think Richmond is a much friendlier city. There's snootiness in both places (and everywhere else) but I have to agree with the person who said that the prejudice in New England is worse than the prejudice in the South because New Englanders try to hide it.
Untrue. The difference is people in the Northeast are honest and to the point, no wasting time, no fake politeness. If the have a problem with somebody, you know it! If find it no nicer here that Boston as far as people being nice. Guess it depends were your from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:21 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
Untrue. The difference is people in the Northeast are honest and to the point, no wasting time, no fake politeness. If the have a problem with somebody, you know it! If find it no nicer here that Boston as far as people being nice. Guess it depends were your from.
How can one's opinion on a subjective topic based on one's individual experiences be "untrue" ?

Old 09-16-2012, 07:52 AM

185 posts, read 536,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
How can one's opinion on a subjective topic based on one's individual experiences be "untrue" ?

from personal experience and observation, perhaps New England prejudice/snootiness (by the minority, not the majority), is veiled in a "political correctness." This is how I interpret the statement that "New Englanders try to hide their prejudice." The snootiness that I have experienced here in Richmond (by the minority, not the majority) feels completely different from the snootiness in Boston. I think Virginians are much more transparent about their dislike, even if it may be in a "fake politeness." Prejudice is prejudice; it's a world reality; wrong not matter how it presents itself. But I'll take "fake politeness" over prejudice that is veiled in political correctness any day.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 AM

76 posts, read 384,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
I've never understood why transplants expect us to instantly become best friends with them after a few weeks. Don't get me wrong, I have no issues with being friendly and welcoming. However, unlike transplants, a lot of us native Southerners don't leave very far from home or we come back home after college. We keep our many of our friends from childhood until the day we die, so we don't exactly have a need to go making friends with every new person that we meet. We already have a close-knit, core group of friends.

You clearly justified why Richmonder aren’t friendly. No one is expecting you to be their best friend with then after a few weeks however a nice friendly greeting and smile will go a long way and clear the negative perceptions that outsiders and transplants think of Richmond. I am a lifelong Virginian and have lived in many parts of the state and they say the same thing about Richmond. And as many posted on here are saying the same thing. The gay folks are just as bad.

Old 09-19-2012, 07:14 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,322,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogSS View Post
[/b]

The gay folks are just as bad.
Ummm say what?

And second of all, the poster you quoted stated they were not even from Richmond.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:23 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,782,111 times
Coming from Boston, I find the attitude hear much friendlier. Including the gay guys - not sure what was meant by that above...

Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM

76 posts, read 384,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
Ummm say what?

And second of all, the poster you quoted stated they were not even from Richmond.

Third , you should read again

Old 09-21-2012, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 52,060 times
I've never really felt that Richmond was particularly unfriendly, although I will say certain areas of Richmond can be very "Cliqueky" (?sp). No experience with people in mechanicsville. I don't really notice most people being majorly friendly or welcoming to new people.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:03 PM

585 posts, read 2,017,540 times
OK so I just moved here from DC (by way of San Francisco) and have to say... Richmond is not as "friendly" as DC was in terms of superficial "hey how you doin" greetings I got in my old DC neighborhood BUT, that said, I find it far easier to strike up a random conversation with strangers here than I could there.

One thing I said to one of my new neighbors that I appreciate about living here is that I'm not immediately asked what I do for a living. What a concept, like you can just BE a human and not be defined by what you do for work!

I have noticed that some of my neighbors are not as nice as the neighbors I left behind in DC but I think the DC neighbors are more concerned with safety than politeness. I was raised in the Midwest so saying "hey" to everyone is nothing out of the ordinary and I will continue doing so, even if 1/4 of my Richmond neighbors blow me off when I do so. That doesn't make them rude or unwelcoming, it's just how they choose to be is all.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:29 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,887,483 times
One thing I'm uncertain about is how people know life-long Richmonders are unwelcoming vs. transplants. I'm a transplant and I don't say "hi" to everyone on the sidewalk. Maybe people think I'm unwelcoming? Maybe people think I operate in a clique? I can/do help people when asked, or engage in friendly conversation when approached. Perhaps everyone has a different communication style or expectations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond