Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 07:54 AM

53 posts, read 86,599 times

Advertisements

I realize this is a controversial topic, but I am hoping to get a little inside info. on what Richmond schools are teaching.

I'm from NOVA but have lived in Italy for the past 12 years. I have 2 elementary school age girls, and I have been disappointed again and again by the curriculum in the Italian schools. I may be in the minority (I really don't know what other Americans think about this) but the sight of 7 year-olds sitting for hours in front of screens at school saddens me. At my kids' school, they no longer have recess. They do not EVER go outside to play. They have a 10 minute snack break when they can chat to their neighbors, but that is it. There was a parent-led initiative this year to purchase a digital chalkboard for the class (in true Italian fashion, there was no fund-raising -- they just tried to hit up the parents for the money). It was defeated because there were several parents (including me) who objected for a variety of reasons (the high costs being one). Of course, the schools here are broke and my kids attend school only 28 hours a week, but that is for another thread.

So I'm guessing that tech exposure varies by school and area, but can anyone fill me in on trends? I would love to hear personal opinions (and if you don't agree with me please share anyway!).

I am aware of the existence of Waldorf schools, and there are certainly parts of their curriculum that I like. But in general, I am more interested in public schools.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond