Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,320 times

Advertisements

[Before anyone gets angry I do just want to explain, I'm posting this because it seems like no one is getting any answers on the "Read if you are asking where to live in VA" thread and I've done the searches on here but am not finding the information I need. Thank you for your patience and advice.]

So my fiance and I are relocating to Virginia. We are looking to live around Richmond but not necessarily directly in Richmond.
We are looking to rent a place and spend $800-$850 a month for a 2 bedroom. We would like to be in a country/rural area such as: Ashland, Midlothian, & Mechanicsville. If someone could give me as much advice on these three places (or any other recommendations) that would be very helpful. My boyfriend favors Ashland at the moment.

Here are a few major questions I have:
-Are these three places safe?
-Which county are these places in?
-Would one be recommended over the others?
-Are they within our price range?
-How close are they to grocery stores/shops/malls

Also I would rather not live in an apartment complex if it can be avoided, but they are not completely out of the question if they are nice.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM

383 posts, read 1,016,360 times
Generally speaking, Mechanicsville and Midlothian are definitely not rural or country-like.

Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM

2 posts, read 13,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PickPatrick View Post
Generally speaking, Mechanicsville and Midlothian are definitely not rural or country-like.
Oh I thought I did enough research... obviously not. Are they very populated? Houses close together? A lot of commotion?

Old 04-15-2013, 06:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
All 3 communities you named, can be considered suburbs of Richmond.

The Midlothian zip code includes the very large, attractive, award-winning planned communities of Brandermill and Woodlake, which were developed in the 1980s, and include a corporate conference center and lakefront homes. It's along US Highway 360 and express tollway 288 in Chesterfield County. It's a good example of car-dependent, sprawl development.

Ashland is a traditional small town in Hanover County, along I-95, a train route, and US Highway 1, and therefore has numerous services catering to travelers. The town has some charm quality, and includes the private Randolph-Macon College, but is only 15 miles north of downtown Richmond.

Mechanicsville is a suburb, northeast of Richmond, near I-295 bypass. It's convenient to the airport and the raceway, and it used to be the site for the state fair (although that's irrelevant now). I think it's in Hanover County.

Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 PM

53 posts, read 85,479 times
It depends what you cal rural? If you are from the big city many places in VA is rural... Otherwise Ashland is the only one that is rural... Crime in all these three are low. I know because I looked into them. Overall most of VA has little crime. Not like DC, LA, NY, CHI, etc... Even DT Richmond doesn't compare. Rent for that seems comparable. Look on realtor.com or craigslist and see what a 2 bed condo or house is going for. I currently live in Northern VA, but want the slower life in Richmond. Always lived in craziesness as an adult... From what I saw online and in person, living in Midlothian all the north to Glen Allen and East to Mechanicsville seem to be the best spots to live. Maybe even Northern Chesterfield..

Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,775,375 times
THough there are rural areas near Ashland, I wouldn't even call Ashland rural... Rural is Powhatan, Western Goochalnd, parts of Hanover etc. to my mind. Ashland is a town.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:11 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
THough there are rural areas near Ashland, I wouldn't even call Ashland rural... Rural is Powhatan, Western Goochalnd, parts of Hanover etc. to my mind. Ashland is a town.
Eastern Goochland is also very rural. You know you're getting close to Goochland driving West on 60 in Henrico and the malls disappear and farms start appearing. Drive a few miles and you'll hit its small commercial corridor at its 64 connection, but drive off 60 and its rural.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:23 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Look west of Ashland towards Montpieler & Beaverdam, I am unsure though what type of rental market you will find.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:53 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Look west of Ashland towards Montpieler & Beaverdam, I am unsure though what type of rental market you will find.
They're nice areas, but getting to an area which has job potentials for newbies is not easy. Both require numerous country roads to get to either 64 or 95.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times
/\

I would fully agree but many do not feel a 30min + ride to get somewhere is an issue. The OP made no mention of jobs/location so I don't know where they may be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond