Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 12:01 PM

9,699 posts, read 9,446,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantin23 View Post
Still calling Richmond "southern" because of events over 150 years ago is an absurd joke. I would say RVA appears more, and more Northeastern by the decade.
It's still southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 12:09 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,472,890 times
Why is Southern a bad thing?

Back in Ohio we just are. None of this Northern/Southern foolishness. No need to define yourself as anything. One thing I miss about the Midwest.

People say; we're more Northeastern as time goes on. Why does that even matter?

Old 12-13-2018, 04:16 PM

110 posts, read 114,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
It's still southern.
Richmond is Mid-Atlantic. Not Northern and not southern. It does not make sense to say that any place is simply Northern or Southern when so many cultures exist within both regions. I most certainly agree that people need to stop associating Richmond with the confederacy. Being southern is not a bad thing, but neither is being simply Mid-Atlantic. People who want to talk about Richmond need to have lived in the city for a long period of time or have done research on the culture of Richmond, otherwise, people need to understand the importance of speaking once and listening twice. Simply visiting a city a few times and then making assumptions based on what you see and hear does not give you knowledge of that place. Richmond, Virginia is a truly unique city that is hard for some people to truly grasp, but it is worth the time to learn about. Yes,

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...-of-the-south/

Last edited by Magicstar1; 12-13-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-16-2018, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,151 times
Magicstar1: Agreed. But for those who insist that Richmond is southern, how about a compromise? Richmond is a Mid-Atlantic city with Southern roots.

goofy328: It's a north/south thing. You can't understand it unless you're native to the east coast.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineNot View Post
Magicstar1: Agreed. But for those who insist that Richmond is southern, how about a compromise? Richmond is a Mid-Atlantic city with Southern roots.

goofy328: It's a north/south thing. You can't understand it unless you're native to the east coast.
One of these days I'm going back home. You're never really part of the East Coast unless you're born here. Some people are able to assimilate into it. I've been here 10 years and old habits die hard. It's hard enough here I can't fathom New York.

A lot of the how people talk and how they are, whatever I honestly don't see what the big deal is.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,151 times
The thing about whether Richmond/Virginia is southern or not has been going on for decades. And as time goes on and the city and state gets less and less southern, the more people who want them to be southern will yell.
I'm sorry you're not happy here and hope you'll be able to go back home. I understand that feeling.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
The thing about whether Richmond/Virginia is southern or not has been going on for decades. And as time goes on and the city and state gets less and less southern, the more people who want them to be southern will yell.
I'm sorry you're not happy here and hope you'll be able to go back home. I understand that feeling.
Well some people just can't accept change. As the Mid Atlantic grows some of the old timers that don't have anything to lose will leave. Those that can't afford to start over will just have to deal with it.

I'm not unhappy I'm more indifferent. I guess that is part of what it's like to live here. It's very large, which I love, but it isn't as clean as what you get in the Midwest and everything is faster. Midwest has it's bad areas but parking is never an issue and the roads and the sidewalks are wider. Alleys are wider. Everything is tight here. And they tax you on every little thing. I sort of miss that laid back. Even the larger cities like Chicago and Detroit it's sort of chill.

I like Virginia but I think there are two Virginias. One for the locals and one for everyone else.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:41 AM

5,855 posts, read 5,662,484 times
Tu
Quote:
Only people not familiar with Richmond seem to think this is a new thing. I've recalled several occasions as a youth of this occurring in the early 2000s, I'm not surprised there was a debate before then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
One of these days I'm going back home. You're never really part of the East Coast unless you're born here. Some people are able to assimilate into it. I've been here 10 years and old habits die hard.
This is funny but I get it. I spent most of my adolescence and had most of my education here. I think that I assimilated pretty well into RVA (not into Tidewater, though! Lol). But as I've noted in the past, there were different moments throughout my youth where I was reminded that I stood out. A part of California never left me and only in recent years have I grown to embrace that...

That said I love Richmond and Virginia and it will always be a part of me as well...

Old 12-17-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA All Day View Post
Can't speak for Ohio but in Chicago there seems to be no shortage of midwesterners that falsely think they're superior to southerners (among others).
Well. It is sort of the same thing. It is the same place; different geographically, but similar on too many levels to waste time discussing. I see Chicago as an amalgamation of efforts to escape the deep South. Detroit the exact same way. Once the reasons for settling there change, the environment changes and the scales tilt the other way. This is one of the major problems with comparisons between the Midwest and the Northeast. The areas are heavily populated for two entirely different reasons, and the people that flourish in one won't like the other. But there is a deeper connection Chicago has with the South, particularly the deep South, that no one aware of the history should feel that way. It isn't in a vacuum, and neither is New York. It may be physically isolated from other areas but it still shares the DNA of areas it doesn't want to acknowledge exists. Maybe this is why we have so many Chicago vs New York, Chicago vs Houston threads on here.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:33 PM

110 posts, read 114,765 times
Quote:

Thats fine. But that is also true for most Mid-Atlantic cities. Baltimore has Southern roots, Washington has Southern roots, Annapolis has southern roots.

The reason I separate the Mid-Atlantic from the South is because it was settled and founded by different groups of people than most of the south. It is geographically defined by the Chesapeake Bay. It is southern in a way. Just different than the majority of the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond