Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 07:38 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,657,867 times

Advertisements

Follow up question, how much of a city is Richmond, using DC, or New York as comparison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,896,235 times
My description of Richmond is Charming. Is it southern? Not anymore from my observations. The suburban sprawl reminds me
Of northern Va and many other cities in this region with their endless sameness. Kudos to the historical society there in
Preserving those magnificient buildings such as the state capitol and the old Broad Street train station. I love the Va Museum!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:00 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,946,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Follow up question, how much of a city is Richmond, using DC, or New York as comparison?
If by DC or NYC you mean the downtown sections such as the National Mall and Times Square then it's nothing like those cities. If by DC or NYC you mean the neighborhoods that locals do their daily business in daily, then Richmond is more like that. Richmond is very quaint . Downtown is pretty busy during business areas and there are certain sections of the city throughout various neighborhoods that are active Thursday-Saturday night with people out and about bar hopping and going to various clubs. The first Friday of every month are the art walks where a bunch of galleries open up and the underground music scene compliments it.

Richmond is unique and seems to be more like cities such as Portland in it's atmosphere. It's not the type of city you would go to if you wanted to experience the hustle and bustle of a 24 hour city.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:12 PM

73 posts, read 117,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles20 View Post
Octa's post above is very accurate. I see Richmond as a miniature version of a really big city. It has some of the undergraound arts and music of a much bigger city. It has some great historic neighbirhoods with restaurants and bars.

I like to think you can get a very authentic, urban experience in this city for a very affordable price. It is very, very very unique in this regard.

Old 11-17-2013, 12:41 PM

457 posts, read 694,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Used to be southern. Now mid Atlantic and full of northerners who wanted a good life with better weather
LOL This is very accurate.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:32 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
I think it's very interesting that people here are saying that Richmond is no longer Southern because of all the transplants, it's progressiveness, young people, etc. We have all of that in spades here in Atlanta, much more so than Richmond, yet you'd be hard pressed to find someone who's actually knowledgeable of Atlanta declare that it's no longer Southern. Now it's not as quintessentially Southern as, say, Savannah or Birmingham, but even with all of the transplants, young population, sizable LGBT community, heavy-rail transit, heavy media/film presence, etc., Atlanta is unmistakably Southern.

I guess it's just interesting how different people gauge "Southernness."

Old 11-18-2013, 07:40 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,782,443 times
I don't think Richmond was as southern as Atlanta to start with... And I actually don't find Atlanta as hipster/fun/progressive etc. either, barring a few nooks and crannies like 5 points/Virginia highlands. I could happily move to Richmond from Boston, but no way would I live in Atlanta. It's exactly the sort of city that I avoid like the plague. A much better comparison to Charlotte than Richmond.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:44 AM

37,904 posts, read 42,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
I don't think Richmond was as southern as Atlanta to start with
I disagree. I mean the South actually starts in Virginia and Richmond had a pretty substantial agricultural economy with tobacco and all, whereas Atlanta was founded as a railroad economic venture. And I know y'all get tired of hearing the whole "capital of the Confederacy" thing, but it's a very pertinent fact right about now.

Quote:
... And I actually don't find Atlanta as hipster/fun/progressive etc. either, barring a few nooks and crannies like 5 points/Virginia highlands. I could happily move to Richmond from Boston, but no way would I live in Atlanta. It's exactly the sort of city that I avoid like the plague. A much better comparison to Charlotte than Richmond.
Taking your personal bias out of it for a minute, the point is that all of the reasons that were cited for Richmond's "unSouthernness" applies to Atlanta even more so, yet Atlanta doesn't deny its Southernness.

And for the record, Atlanta has several hipster/fun/progressive nooks and crannies (Midtown, Old Fourth Ward, Little Five Points, Grant Park, East Atlanta Village, Castleberry Hill, downtown Decatur, Edgewood, Kirkwood, Inman Park, etc.), not just a few.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 AM

25 posts, read 58,405 times
Richmond is very southern. It's definitely what I'd call the Bible Belt. It's interesting how the state just divides in two like that. Richmond is millions of times more southern than the DC suburbs. Down in Richmond, everyone walks a little slower. Southern grocery stores and foods. Lots of chicken places to eat. And the accents... so distinctly southern. The people there definitely refer to it as the south. Tobacco factories... Marlboro. Statues of confederate generals. Don't listen to anyone who says it is not the South. The South is alive and well in Richmond.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:32 AM

998 posts, read 1,252,834 times
Richmond is NOT the bible belt, when was the last time you were "down" there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond