Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 PM

5 posts, read 21,994 times

Advertisements

I am a young professional who has recently moved to Richmond from the Roanoke area. I have found that people in this city are not friendly. (Nobody says hello, or waves when you let them out in traffic, or says thank you when you hold a door for them) I live around the fan. The area is covered in trash. Young people who are from Richmond have this stuck up attitude that makes me sick. I'm talking about people from the west end. The girls I have met here have to be the most ultra conservative, materialistic girls I have ever encountered. Most of these girls have grown up in around St. Catherines/West End. They look at people from Southwestern Virginia like they are some kind of hillbilly. Is this normal behavior for people that are from here? I'm beginning to think that the southwestern side of the state is where I belong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
Smile I totally understand!

Hey! Having grew up in Richmond and moved to The Roanoke area back in June I have to say.. Roanoke is a much friendlier city. Roanoke suites me more.. Its funny I have to admit I use to be a rushing around gotta hurrry kind of guy... but that has changed since living here.. I never blow my horn and I let people out all the time. You couldnt be more right in the fact that the people here are just a lot nicer than back in Richmond. I wouldnt say all of Richmond is rude (check out northern va!).. just not as friendly as here.. The side of town you are on and the side of town the girls are from that you mentioned (west end, far west end, ect.) tends to be more snobbish.. If you go more towards the airport/varina/elko/mechanicsville area you will notice that people wave a little bit more and are a little nicer (thats the area I grew up in). I have roots in Richmond and is the only reason I would consider a move back... but it will be a long while. Let me know if you have any questions regarding Richmond. :-) Take care!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple82 View Post
I am a young professional who has recently moved to Richmond from the Roanoke area. I have found that people in this city are not friendly. (Nobody says hello, or waves when you let them out in traffic, or says thank you when you hold a door for them) I live around the fan. The area is covered in trash. Young people who are from Richmond have this stuck up attitude that makes me sick. I'm talking about people from the west end. The girls I have met here have to be the most ultra conservative, materialistic girls I have ever encountered. Most of these girls have grown up in around St. Catherines/West End. They look at people from Southwestern Virginia like they are some kind of hillbilly. Is this normal behavior for people that are from here? I'm beginning to think that the southwestern side of the state is where I belong.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
It's amazing how different people have different perspectives. I was so glad to come back to Richmond after a few years in Northern Virginia BECAUSE of the small things like people saying thank you when you hold the door, waving when you let them merge in traffic, not honking the horn, the fact that people say hello when you pass them on the sidewalk. Those were things I really missed and I'm glad to experience them again... and I experience them all over town: northside, southside, west end, downtown, Fan, east end.... I also don't know of many people who view those from Roanoke as hillbillies.

While the original poster is stereotyping people from the West End/St. Catherine's School crowd (how is this better than those that stereotype people from SW VA as hillbillies), I will agree that there are some people who are like that... however, that's the case EVERYWHERE. Sometimes when people come from money and have the perception that they were raised in a higher class of society, they can act pompous, arrogant, ignorant, etc... But it doesn't mean everyone in a given place is like that. I'd recommend trying to run with a different crowd.

And if you consider Richmond a rush around type place, you need to visit other cities that make Richmond feel very laid back in comparison! I'm sure Roanoke feels more laid back than Richmond but RIC is HARDLY a hustle and bustle kind of place.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:23 PM

Wink Visit Roanoke!

I have to agree with you on the fact that Richmond is friendlier than Northern Virginia.. But I think you should spend a weekend in Roanoke and see the different the OP was talking about. I was amazed at how nice and friendly the people in Roanoke really are! And you have to realize.. We are comparing Richmond to Roanoke.. Not northern va. Compared to northern va Richmond isnt hustle and bustle but compared to Roanoke it very much is. Like I said come to Roanoke and stay for the weekend you wont want to leave! And by the way.. About 15 people (from Richmond) told me before I moved to Roanoke "watch out for the hillbillies!" And quite honestly there arnt all that many here

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
It's amazing how different people have different perspectives. I was so glad to come back to Richmond after a few years in Northern Virginia BECAUSE of the small things like people saying thank you when you hold the door, waving when you let them merge in traffic, not honking the horn, the fact that people say hello when you pass them on the sidewalk. Those were things I really missed and I'm glad to experience them again... and I experience them all over town: northside, southside, west end, downtown, Fan, east end.... I also don't know of many people who view those from Roanoke as hillbillies.

While the original poster is stereotyping people from the West End/St. Catherine's School crowd (how is this better than those that stereotype people from SW VA as hillbillies), I will agree that there are some people who are like that... however, that's the case EVERYWHERE. Sometimes when people come from money and have the perception that they were raised in a higher class of society, they can act pompous, arrogant, ignorant, etc... But it doesn't mean everyone in a given place is like that. I'd recommend trying to run with a different crowd.

And if you consider Richmond a rush around type place, you need to visit other cities that make Richmond feel very laid back in comparison! I'm sure Roanoke feels more laid back than Richmond but RIC is HARDLY a hustle and bustle kind of place.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,314,203 times
I've spent more than a weekend in Roanoke and have nothing against it at all. It's a good town with beautiful scenery. I have friends that enjoy living in Roanoke. I just have no desire to live there. People have diverse reasons for wanting to call a place home which is why there are so many places to call home.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Default Southern friendliness

I never ment to suggest that you had anything against Roanoke. As I have nothing against Richmond. And I understand that you have no desire to live here.. It's not for everyone. If you have been to Roanoke that many times then you should understand our point about the southern friendliness Roanoke has that Richmond lacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondpics View Post
I've spent more than a weekend in Roanoke and have nothing against it at all. It's a good town with beautiful scenery. I have friends that enjoy living in Roanoke. I just have no desire to live there. People have diverse reasons for wanting to call a place home which is why there are so many places to call home.

Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 AM

102 posts, read 406,022 times
I agree with Richmondpics.
I moved to Richmond from the west coast, and could not believe how friendly the people were, and the hospitality I recieved from my neighbors.
If you live in the Fan, you live with a large number of college age people. That being said, you can expect to be non-existent (my kids are college age and don't know that there is a living soul attached to that wallet!) also, the Fan has a lot of professional people that tend to have high pressure jobs and all they want is to go home and zone out.
I live just west of the Boulevard, the atmosphere is a little more relaxed, mostly homeowners, but still mostly professionals.
I hope things work out better for you.
Jamier

Old 02-17-2008, 05:13 AM

48 posts, read 187,368 times
Try living in Philadelphia! Talk about rude, no home-training and common courtesy!
I'm from Suffolk, Virginia. I've been living in Philly for the past 25 years. In June, Virginia will be my home again. I do not intend to age in place in a place like Philadelphia.

I'm currently trying to decide where I want to live in Virginia - Richmond suburbs (Hanover, Chesterfield or Henrico County) or Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach or Chesapeake).

I have been told by an employment recruiter that the job market is not as appealing in the Hampton Roads area as Richomnd. I'm still looking. So far, he may be right. I'm in healthcare by the way.

Opinions and advice accepted. Thanks folks!

Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 AM

132 posts, read 253,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msviolar View Post
Try living in Philadelphia! Talk about rude, no home-training and common courtesy!
I'm from Suffolk, Virginia. I've been living in Philly for the past 25 years. In June, Virginia will be my home again. I do not intend to age in place in a place like Philadelphia.

I'm currently trying to decide where I want to live in Virginia - Richmond suburbs (Hanover, Chesterfield or Henrico County) or Hampton Roads (Virginia Beach or Chesapeake).

I have been told by an employment recruiter that the job market is not as appealing in the Hampton Roads area as Richomnd. I'm still looking. So far, he may be right. I'm in healthcare by the way.

Opinions and advice accepted. Thanks folks!
I used to live in West Philly, I found the people to be warm and welcoming. Actually Philly has more of a down home small town feel than you would think. When I lived there, I did not have the everyday feeling of living in a huge North Eastern metropolis. People are just people no matter where you go. What exactly do you do in health care?

Old 02-17-2008, 10:33 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRAMAL View Post
I used to live in West Philly, I found the people to be warm and welcoming. Actually Philly has more of a down home small town feel than you would think. When I lived there, I did not have the everyday feeling of living in a huge North Eastern metropolis. People are just people no matter where you go. What exactly do you do in health care?

AMEN!
I to lived in S. NJ for 10 years and found the folks there wonderful.
The best thing about them and Philly folks is the lack of fake. They are blunt, take it or leave it and to me is grand.

Richmond has their cliques, mostly FFV's but as NJ said, you find them everywhere. Atlanta offers both to. Mean and not so mean, and most folks here are from "everywhere".

I love Richmond and it's people just like Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond