Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,502,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripple82 View Post
I am a young professional who has recently moved to Richmond from the Roanoke area. I have found that people in this city are not friendly. (Nobody says hello, or waves when you let them out in traffic, or says thank you when you hold a door for them) I live around the fan. The area is covered in trash. Young people who are from Richmond have this stuck up attitude that makes me sick. I'm talking about people from the west end. The girls I have met here have to be the most ultra conservative, materialistic girls I have ever encountered. Most of these girls have grown up in around St. Catherines/West End. They look at people from Southwestern Virginia like they are some kind of hillbilly. Is this normal behavior for people that are from here? I'm beginning to think that the southwestern side of the state is where I belong.
All depends on where you're coming from and how you look at it. Personally, I think that people in Virginia are much, much, friendlier than they are in Ohio where I'm from. If you think Richmond is a piece of work you should go up North and see how people are up there.

On the other hand Southwestern Virginia is different. I stayed in Bridgewater, outside of Harrisonburg, for a year. Harrisonburg is a completely different world to Richmond and Hampton Roads. It was slow for my tastes though. Stuff like expanding I-81 was a huge deal; you would have thought that the sky was falling. Funny considering how wide the roads are out here in HR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 02:13 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCA1975 View Post
I agree 80%. I have not been to the southwestern part, otherwise it would be 100%. Particularly regarding the night life around here, Richmond seems to have no real identity. Everything shuts down at 2 AM and they all play the same crap top 40 radio junk. The people I come across are in great numbers rude and somewhat standoffish. Lots of snobby, yuppie types. Lots of prejudice, which I attribute in part to this being the old capital of the Confederacy (when I try to approach white women). A lot of Black women seem to like thugs, which I am not. I never have as much of a problem meeting someone and carrying a conversation, at the beach (VA, SC, or NC) or up north (PA). Maybe I have been here for far too long. Over 30 years! But a lot of family here and it is hard to up and move on. I am trapped!
I've been here over five years and don't feel people are snobby, standoffish or rude at all. Quite the opposite. Richmond isn't my favorite urban area in the US (I like the bigger urban cities in the north), but don't count on radio stations or people being any better in other cities. In terms of nightlife, I agree, it's not the best, but comes with the territory of a pretty small city.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:21 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,502,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I've been here over five years and don't feel people are snobby, standoffish or rude at all. Quite the opposite. Richmond isn't my favorite urban area in the US (I like the bigger urban cities in the north), but don't count on radio stations or people being any better in other cities. In terms of nightlife, I agree, it's not the best, but comes with the territory of a pretty small city.
Absolutely!

any Clear Channel or Radio One station is going to be Top 40. As if radio stations in New York City or Chicago are necessarily any better.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:14 AM

244 posts, read 391,341 times
only thing on the radio nowadays is commercials. and maybe 2 old songs an hour if you are lucky, I moved in to the southside of richmond off hull from goochland and I love it, Everything is really convent and My neighborhood is clean and had some folks that have lived here for years, I think regular folks need to start taking back over the southside of righmond,Not the northern part of chesterfield.. and bring it back, already there have been two foreclosed houses bought by house flippers and redone in my area, Just hoping nice regular folks buy em and keep the neighborhood nice.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:55 PM

14 posts, read 15,417 times
Default LOL oh...thas rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarva View Post
Wealth and privilege (i.e., the West End) usually generate snobs and unfriendly people. Poverty and neglect (80% of Richmond) generate another form of unfriendliness which makes itself know in criminal activity and violence. Take your pick--both co-habitate nicely!
Oh that's too funny, I laughed so hard thanks...I needed that...

Old 08-29-2016, 10:44 AM

41 posts, read 86,354 times
I moved here from the PNW and I think Richmond is an extremely friendly city. BUT I also think it depends on what you put in to it. We live in the West End (not Short pump, not libbie grove) and our neighbors brought us cookies the day we moved in. I never had a neighbor do that once in the 25 years i lived in Washington and Oregon. I find that when I go out and am smiling and treating people nicely, I get the same thing back. I'm also not really young, dating and going to bars to meet people any more so I can't speak to that perspective here, but I never found anyone to be that friendly in those situations when I was in that phase of life. It's all a matter of perspective, coming from Portland, OR the prices on homes and rent here are a steal in comparison.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:18 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,185,152 times
There are plenty of weirdos too

Old 08-29-2016, 06:24 PM

6,216 posts, read 4,679,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCA1975 View Post
I agree 80%. I have not been to the southwestern part, otherwise it would be 100%. Particularly regarding the night life around here, Richmond seems to have no real identity. Everything shuts down at 2 AM and they all play the same crap top 40 radio junk. :
This is a function of state alcohol/"last call" bar closing times, rather than a situation unique to Richmond.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...ate-in-america

Old 01-20-2019, 05:18 AM

3 posts, read 4,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
This is a function of state alcohol/"last call" bar closing times, rather than a situation unique to Richmond.

https://www.thrillist.com/drink/nati...ate-in-america

I know it is 3 years late, but that is interesting information. Thanks.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:41 PM

9,738 posts, read 9,527,168 times
It's interesting how the city honors confederate statues. Richmond has done a good job as an old south city in preserving its history.

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-co...ry?id=57009869
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond