Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 11:07 AM

2 posts, read 85,756 times

Advertisements

To anyone who is willing to help or can help...

I am a young professional (23-white-male) and i am moving to richmond, va. Unfortunately, i have never been there and have no idea where to live. Being from the Detroit area, i know what "bad/unsafe" areas can be like. As with anyhwere u go, there are safe and nice places but there are also unsafe and crime-stricken areas. I would assume Richmond is no different than any other city.

I would prefer to live in an urban setting so i have a relatively short commute to work and whatnot. I want to be located in an area that is close to (1) bars where twenty-somethings hang out [so that i can (a) meet beautiful young women and (b) be able to safely walk home afterwards), (2) close to a grocery store, (3) close to nice restaurants, coffee shops, etc. and (4) is safe so i won't get mugged or have my place burgularized.

I like the college atmosphere (probably cause i am a college student getting ready to graduate), but i can't live next to college kids either cause i will have to get up in the morning for work. Is there a young professional scene in Richmond? If anyone knows where the cool and safe neighborhoods are, roughly how much a nice place would cost per month, and anything i might want to know i would appreciate it. What is the Fan like? What about Shockoe? What about carytown. I have no idea what the difference is of any of these places? Is it better to move further out from the city? or in the city? To any one that could help, i could really use the advice. THank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

Respectfully,
clueless, soon-to-be-moving, college grad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2006, 07:23 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,377,592 times
Default living in richmond va

well if you want to live with the 20 somethings i would advise you to locate in the fan district. its in the heart of vcu campus lots of shops and lots of bars , its just west of downtown and is a pretty safe place to live, the homes are beautiful pre 20th century homes but the parking is hard to come by but in the fan you can walk for most things you need,or ride the bus.
look on the map
if you look on map quest the fan is s. belvidere on the east ,broad on the north, i 195 on the west and cary st on the south.
its called the fan because the streets go out like a fan...you can get lost going around the block account of this and one way streets!!!

Old 04-16-2006, 07:25 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,377,592 times
ps after detroit you will love richmond but get used to no one being in a hurry, a waitress will act like she is doing you a favour taking your order but you will get used to it.

Old 04-16-2006, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 85,756 times
Default more questions

thank you so much u guys... y'all don't know how much i appreciate your advice... but i have more questions...

1. can u rent parking spots on a monthly basis which might be close to one's apartment?
2. what is the typical rent for a nice place and what is the typical rent for a ****hole apartment? do most apartments have balconies?
3. this one is a shot in the dark but do u know what are some of the good landlord's?
4. what are some of the good bars (not nightclubs) but college atmosphere and young professional bars where i can meet some good looking women?
5. how many students go to VCU?
6. would i be out of place living in an atmosphere like the fan if i am a young professional and actually have to go to work everyday?

as for living in the south, i lived in charlotte, nc last summer and i love southern hospitality... that is the main reason why i have decided to leave the north... and besides, y'all don't have too much snow down there... and i do hate snow... i already know i can handle and learn to love the slower pace of life... as long as it gets me away from snow and miserable weather...

Old 04-21-2006, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 46,096 times
1. can u rent parking spots on a monthly basis which might be close to one's apartment?

-You can almost always find parking within a block or two of your apartment without having to pay.

2. what is the typical rent for a nice place and what is the typical rent for a ****hole apartment? do most apartments have balconies?

-The funny thing about many of the apartments in Richmond, especially in the Fan area, is that even the crappier ones are potentially pretty nice with a little paint. Most of the houses were built 80-100 years ago, and are very well made compared to the crappy thin-walled, low-ceiling, overpriced places you find in apartment guides. Regarding the cost, it depends on if you're trying to live alone, or if you'd be open to having roommates. I've known people that lived in crummy 2 bedroom apartments downtown for $1000 month, and others who live in huge 4 or 5 bedroom apartments with a roomate or two for $300 dollars/month apiece.

3. this one is a shot in the dark but do u know what are some of the good landlord's?

-There's no such thing as a good landlord.

4. what are some of the good bars (not nightclubs) but college atmosphere and young professional bars where i can meet some good looking women?

-There are no bars in Richmond, and slightly fewer good looking women. I'm just kidding. There are loads of bars.

5. how many students go to VCU?

20something thousand including undergrad, grad, and professional.

6. would i be out of place living in an atmosphere like the fan if i am a young professional and actually have to go to work everyday?

-Not at all. The Fan area is a pretty large and the population there varies widely in age. The part of the Fan closest to the VCU campus tends to have more students living in it, and there tend to be more parties on weeknights in that area, as you'd expect, but outside of that, it's a very safe and pleasant place to live.

You might find that the best way to find a place to live is to visit and drive around looking for "for rent" signs with telephone numbers on them. There are loads of them now, and there'll be more this summer when school is out.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:44 PM

212 posts, read 1,063,867 times
There's a lot of renovation in the Church Hill area now. Rents are steep to outrageous for new remodeled living space, but a neat area. Shockoe bottom is at the bottom of the hill and has a deserved rep as a mean place after dark. Richmond is a neat town even if it is a hick backwater on the global scale of things. On the other hand it is like NYC compared to Raleigh!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 38,360 times
Smile I need help

Hi,

I am thinking of relocating to Richmond but of course I need a job. My background is in Administrative Assistant/Office Support, can anyone suggest some companies. I am an African American woman, looking for a change from the hard core city life of Jersey city, NJ. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:05 AM

931 posts, read 3,803,762 times
If you want to live in the city and be around other college students, rent a place in "the fan".

If you want to live away from the city, not near college students and live out in the suburbs, you want to live in the "West End".

I went to college in Richmond and currently live in the West End.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I'll try to help you out.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,317,535 times
The term Commonwealth has nothing to do with anything. Virginia is one of four states which chooses to call itself a Commonwealth. There is no visible distinction whatsoever other than in name. Perhaps you mean Virginia is a Dillon Rule state? Or Virginia's independent city system? Both, IMO, hold back the state as a whole to some degree.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:02 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
High taxes! I think you need to experience other states.
I think it is what you are looking for. Richmond is not a big city. Maybe think of moving to a bigger city.
Also alot of opinions has to to do with age and what stage of life you are in.
We were relocated to Richmond in 2004 from LI/NY and had older kids (lived in West End area) and loved it.
Relocated again in 2008 to the midwest. Our older kids will not leave the greater Richmond area. All I know is that I miss the west end and can't wait to move back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: