Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,134 times

Advertisements

Hi I am a young attorney moving from northeast to Richmond. I am looking for something similar to you, however my job involves working from home couple of days and lot of travelling within 100 mile radius to richmond with few trips to other states via flight, therefore I would like to be somewhat close to airport also. Is Fan area suitable for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by law2009 View Post
Hi I am a young attorney moving from northeast to Richmond. I am looking for something similar to you, however my job involves working from home couple of days and lot of travelling within 100 mile radius to richmond with few trips to other states via flight, therefore I would like to be somewhat close to airport also. Is Fan area suitable for me?
The Fan is great, especially the Fan between Boulevard and Thompson - easy on and off the highway, fewer undergrads (therefore fewer parties next door at 2am on worknights), easy 15-20 minute drive to the airport and your choice of cable or FIOS for internet service to make that working from home thing work for you.

If you rent from Fan Apartments, however, you will probably find that your legal training comes in handy. Avoid them at all costs.

[url=http://scumlords.blogspot.com/2010/05/fan-apartments.html]Scumlords: Fan Apartments[/url]

Old 04-05-2011, 10:35 AM

76 posts, read 121,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
If you want to live in the city and be around other college students, rent a place in "the fan".
I don't know why so many people rave about this place.
Not far from this district, it looked very rough and quite hikeldy pickeldy and was more like a dump than a cool trendy place.

Maybe my idea of cool is different perhaps?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:29 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,155 times
The Fan is a fun neighborhood to live in. My neighbors are great and I love being able to walk to so many things (shops, bars, restaurants, museums, parks). Historic, diverse architecture and a funky mix of people (hipsters, students, yuppies, young professionals and families, older folks). It's not about being "trendy" it's about enjoying an urban lifestyle in a classic and interactive neighborhood.

Maybe you think this kind of stuff is uncool?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:35 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,782,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt61 View Post
I don't know why so many people rave about this place.
Not far from this district, it looked very rough and quite hikeldy pickeldy and was more like a dump than a cool trendy place.

Maybe my idea of cool is different perhaps?

I live in the Fan. I've lived in Miami, Boston, London, NYC. etc. etc. I think the fan is a cool place to live. Are you sure you've been there?

To the original posters - a number of neighborhoods would probably suit you, depending what you are looking for, but the Museum District and the Fan would be safe bets. I'm sure you'd be happy. Lots of college students, but lots of lawyers, doctors, and corporate presidents as well - it's a good mix.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,601 times
Hey, I am looking at moving out of the Atlanta area. I am 30 years old and work in Graphic/web design. I am also looking for a place who comparison of living is similar to Atlanta. Unfortunately for design the hotspots (San Fran, NYC, LA etc cost of living doubles but not necessarily does the pay) I really liked Boston and had a friend recommend Richmond.
A) How is the job market and atmosphere for the "Artsy" type
B) Being a older city is the people an older crowd or a good range?
C) Where would one want to live that is a young professional but over the college life. More into Museums, Theatre, Parks, etc. and do not want to live in the suburbs.

All i can thank of for now. Thanks for your help

Old 10-17-2011, 07:19 PM

154 posts, read 388,993 times
hlbatch81, A) I don't work in a creative field but my understanding is that Richmond is a great place those jobs. We have the Martin Agency and several other decent sized employers. VCU Art School is top notch and a lot of the grads stay here
B) Richmond has all ages, including tons your age. There are tons of young people.
C) Yes, I am a young professional myself and love living in Richmond.

There will be less to do than Atlanta but there is still a ton and I generally find there is little reason to go to DC except for things like pro sports and specialty stores like Ikea.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,782,111 times
Where would you want to live? Fan museum district or church hill from sounds of it. There are a bunch of usual suspects that are usual suspects for a reason. Search around on here

Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 PM

3 posts, read 18,208 times
I just got hired in an elementary school in Richmond city. What are good areas in the suburbs of richmond?

Old 07-11-2012, 05:21 PM

774 posts, read 1,695,647 times
All depends on what you consider "good" but since you are an educator,
here's a graphic showing the Richmond Metro districts with the highest
levels of educational attainment (darker blue is higher attainment):

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: