Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:05 AM

218 posts, read 840,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsweatcathy View Post
Hi there, well I just moved to Richmond a little over a month ago from New york and let's just say what a culture shock. I definately didn't expect Richmond to be anything like New York, but I have had a hard time meeting people here. Most of the people living in the Richmond area are black, and a bit ghetto. I would say in the Shockoe area it is not the kind of area you would want to walk around in. I havent explored the fan yet.
Is this a joke?

Anyone who is taking this thread seriously should just avoid this post entirely. The Shockoe Bottom area is about as safe as walking through your local grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:44 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
What's wrong with Richmond having a relatively high population of African-Americans? I live in area that is roughly 95% white, Non-Hispanic, and crime is SURGING here, so please don't be trying to imply that somehow Richmond is a "ghetto" merely because of the primary race of many of its denizens. I have a few African-American friends around campus up here in Pennsylvania, and they are all wonderful upstanding people. I'd take a respectable black family living next-door to me ANYDAY over some of the white-trash ones we have.

As an upcoming Virginian I look forward very much to exploring Richmond someday in June and posting some photo tours here on City-Data. The people of the Northern Virginia sub-forum may now hate me with an undying passion for my divergent belief system on urban sprawl (apparently I'll be the ONLY NoVA resident who doesn't think sprawl is the right direction for our nation to be headed into), but nevertheless I think I'm going to be happy in Virginia. Best of luck to everyone moving to Richmond, and I can't wait to visit!

Old 04-26-2009, 08:33 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,706,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
What's wrong with Richmond having a relatively high population of African-Americans? I live in area that is roughly 95% white, Non-Hispanic, and crime is SURGING here, so please don't be trying to imply that somehow Richmond is a "ghetto" merely because of the primary race of many of its denizens. I have a few African-American friends around campus up here in Pennsylvania, and they are all wonderful upstanding people. I'd take a respectable black family living next-door to me ANYDAY over some of the white-trash ones we have.

As an upcoming Virginian I look forward very much to exploring Richmond someday in June and posting some photo tours here on City-Data. The people of the Northern Virginia sub-forum may now hate me with an undying passion for my divergent belief system on urban sprawl (apparently I'll be the ONLY NoVA resident who doesn't think sprawl is the right direction for our nation to be headed into), but nevertheless I think I'm going to be happy in Virginia. Best of luck to everyone moving to Richmond, and I can't wait to visit!

Although what you said is true, keep in mind this is the city that dedicates a whole street to worshiping the confederacy, who I thought were the bad guys..

When you have that kind of stuff still around of course people are going to still think like that.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:51 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,318,757 times
Ahh Mr. Negativity... you mean the same Monument Avenue listed on the NATIONAL Register of Historic Places and a National Historic Landmark which has been named one of the top 10 Great Streets in the US by the American Planning Association? The last "Confederate" related monument was dedicated nearly 100 years ago. In historical context, there were still Civil War vets walking around town. How many Confederate worshipers do you see bowing on Monument (save the Sons of Confederate Veterans)? Today, it's much more a beautiful avenue with public art and historic homes than a temple to the Confederacy.

If all one sees on Monument is the worshiping of the Confederacy, someone should politely let them know the "war" ended 144 years ago.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:12 PM

Yes. That one.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 AM

4 posts, read 21,258 times
Richmond is a great place for young singles. The Fan area is great. It's a mix of college students and young, recently graduated professionals. Of course there are some ghettos but if you just steer clear of those areas you'll be fine. Heading down to MCV campus you might run into some ghettoness but you'll be fine. I feel perfectly safe walking the streets during the day, but if you find yourself having to work the graveyard shift I'd recommend a taxi or a big gang to walk with you. I've had my share of run ins while walking alone or with a small group, best bet it to get home before dark.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:22 AM

27 posts, read 55,625 times
Default Don't move here if you're single

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsweatcathy View Post
Hi there, well I just moved to Richmond a little over a month ago from New york and let's just say what a culture shock. I definately didn't expect Richmond to be anything like New York, but I have had a hard time meeting people here. Most of the people living in the Richmond area are black, and a bit ghetto. I would say in the Shockoe area it is not the kind of area you would want to walk around in. I havent explored the fan yet.

Yes, thank you, HALLELUJAH!! OP, this is the man you need to listen to, and nobody else saying how "great" and "easy" it is to meet people here.

I too, have experience living in many different places: Okinawa, Yokusuka Japan, Thailand, California (San Diego, Fresno, L.A.), North Carolina, Indiana, Ohio, Florida, and a couple others.

And I will say from my experience, that it's not easy to meet people in Richmond, especially if you're single and want to get married one day.

Richmonders, in a nutshell, are: closeminded, VERY clickish, homebodies. Most folks are rednecks or gangstas, and that's all you get.

Don't let anyone who's lived here most or all of their lives, or has lived in nothing but conservative states, tell you different! Their definition of the word "diverse", or "open-minded", or "adventurous" is twisted, because they've never really experienced what diversity, open-mindedness, and adventurous is. They don't know the real meaning of those words. ALL of my friends are like this, and most were born and raised here, or born and raised in another place just like this, and haven't really "seen outside of the box", so to speak.

The way things are here, is 98% of the population is FROM here, born and raised. There is no one coming in from other non-conservative states that aren't just like Richmond, and actually staying! Most people leave as soon as they can, when they realize what a mistake they made coming here.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:25 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Maybe Richmond was different 15ish years ago. I moved to the West End directly from NYC, met someone here and was married to her within two years (We no longer live in that area). In NYC I did heavy clubbing and met no one to have a lasting relationship with. So here is my advice: Go to a market (Whole Foods 5:30-6:30) to meet people. Change to a venue that suits your interests. And just as an FYI none of friends whom are married met thier spouses in the club scene. Richmond in itself is ultra conservative compared to numerous other cities and countries I've travelled (and lived in) too. Western Henrico and Chesterfield are less, but this is due to a higher percentage of northerners. Those of us who chose to move here were not looking for a Nothern life. We were looking for the stereotypical Southern life. We wanted our lives to slow down. In my area of choice I have no Northern neighbors (NY,NJ,DE etc). The people I currently mix with are all Sotherners (and we try not to go north of the river).

Old 05-05-2009, 11:32 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,699,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Maybe Richmond was different 15ish years ago. I moved to the West End directly from NYC, met someone here and was married to her within two years (We no longer live in that area). In NYC I did heavy clubbing and met no one to have a lasting relationship with. So here is my advice: Go to a market (Whole Foods 5:30-6:30) to meet people. Change to a venue that suits your interests. And just as an FYI none of friends whom are married met thier spouses in the club scene. Richmond in itself is ultra conservative compared to numerous other cities and countries I've travelled (and lived in) too. Western Henrico and Chesterfield are less, but this is due to a higher percentage of northerners. Those of us who chose to move here were not looking for a Nothern life. We were looking for the stereotypical Southern life. We wanted our lives to slow down. In my area of choice I have no Northern neighbors (NY,NJ,DE etc). The people I currently mix with are all Sotherners (and we try not to go north of the river).
Again, please explain how Richmond, a city whose residents voted 79% for Obama (meaning the city is far to the left of the nation) is ultra conservative. Also, how is Richmond more conservative than Chesterfield, a county that McCain won? I just don't get that this area is "ultra conservative" although there are pockets of Henrico that I certainly would describe as moderate/consevative.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 PM

A lot of locations across the nation went blue that normally would not have. Otherwise Obama would not have won right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond