Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 PM

383 posts, read 393,829 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering Richmond as our next home. We've been through VA several times on our way to D.C. to visit family and find it such a beautiful state (from TN originally but have been moving throughout Midwest for 25 years, currently in St. Louis). I've been looking at houses on realtor.com and found one in Montpelier that is a new build. Anyone have any insight into the area? I am a Whole Foods nut, but would like to live a little away from Glen Allen (unless it's just a great place). I three kids, one who is approaching college age. We homeschool, so schools are only a consideration for property resale. Looking for middle to upper middle class area. Thanks for any replies. Hope you all are not getting too buried in the snow this weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 03:03 PM

383 posts, read 393,829 times
Here are a few things that come to mind, and I am sure there will be more. Thanks for replying!

Are people welcoming to outsiders (especially Richmond as a whole)? St. Louis is very cliquish and is very hard for outsiders to integrate into, so we don't want that.

We love 4 distinct seasons. We've lived in Knoxville, Memphis, Omaha, St. Louis (3rd time), Houston, Madison (WI), Clarkston (Detroit suburb) and really enjoy having snow in the winter and cool falls. Hate long, humid summers, and really prefer winters a little less harsh than WI. However, I do need late November to the end of February to be cold - like winter. (Jealous of the snow you are getting). Do you get that?

Topography. Would love to see something with natural beauty - hills, farms, etc. We live in a very urban area now and hate it. However, we would not mind the suburbs as long as the houses are not on top of one another.

Any organic farms nearby? Love cooking with fresh produce and never eat out, so that would be a plus.

How's crime in the area. A Madison friend's husband was a doctor in Richmond, and she complained incessantly about the crime. We lived in SL, as I said, and moved from Detroit a year and a half ago - two of the highest crime cities in the US! Really sick of that. Segregation and racial tensions are just mindboggling here. Not looking to repeat that.

Also looking for a Catholic community. Are there many Catholics in the area? Growing up in TN, I know they are a much smaller minority than in other areas of the US. We homeschool also, so that is usually how we make friends.

Also, how isolated is the area? My husband works remotely, so all he really needs is a good internet connection and a descent airport nearby (doesn't travel much, though). We would like to be a little out, but not "rural".

Schools very important, but only for resale value.

Excellent medical care, preferably at a major research hospital, is a plus. Need a great GI dr. for my son.

Love the arts, really can't stand sports. Looks like that would be sufficient from my research.

Sorry to go on and on. We can move pretty much anywhere, so Richmond has made it on the list after some limited research. Any thing you have to add is greatly appreciated. Many thanks and enjoy the snow!

Old 01-25-2016, 05:44 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,705,347 times
I've been in Montpelier when DD played softball. It seems very isolated to me. I'm not sure how easy it would be to meet people. I assume your social network involves your church and maybe a homeschool coop or something like that--those will help a lot. There are plenty of Catholics in Richmond. DD has several friends from swimming who attend three different Catholic schools. As far as schools (for resale purposes), Hanover has good schools but they are in Mechanicsville and not in the more rural parts of the county (i.e., the school assignments are so-so at best). The area is extremely safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond