Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,713,472 times

Advertisements

Okay, so 2.5% of Richmond public school students get into MW. Too bad for the other 97.5%! The reality is most of us have no clue when we enroll 4 and 5 year olds in kindergarten where they'll be academically in 8th grade (although lots of people have unrealistic expectations and are convinced their child is the brightest child around so of course they could get into MW). But it sucks if your kid is #51 and you can't afford Collegiate or St. Catherine's/St. Christopher's. Or if you have one child who is extremely academically inclined and another who isn't. I'm way too risk averse to make such a bet with my children's education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,789,150 times
Well, more or less yes, though the point is that its 151, not 51, the odds are much better than people would think if they didn't know the ins and outs - basically, of the people who care, the vast vast majority get into a specialty school. And it isn't just Maggie walker, hence the original post.

I've never run into someone with an issue (note selection bias of course). People from out of town don't realize the city actually has some good schools.

No one is disputing that much of the district is a disaster. But almost every parent in my daughters kindergarten has a graduate degree and falls firmly into the well educated professional upper middle class. This is part of the story that doesn't get told here.

Ironically, western henrico schools are much more socioeconomically diverse than Fox and Mumford. And yes, that is freaking some people out, its got a feedback loop going.

The failsafe for kids who are merely good, not stellar, tends to be a sale and move across the county line, they end up in Freeman. Also perhaps counter to people's perceptions, houses these days cost less when you leave the city, so it's an easy move.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,996,877 times
My wife and I have discussed moving to Richmond, but we're city people, and the Richmond Public schools always end up being the dealbreaker for us. We currently live in Pittsburgh. If we moved to a comparable neighborhood ( there is no comparable neighborhood, but the museum district comes closest), not only would our housing cost go up, but we'd probably also opt for private school. Richmond would put us closer to family, but the increased cost of living comes without an upgrade in terms of city and amenities.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
Well, more or less yes, though the point is that its 151, not 51, the odds are much better than people would think if they didn't know the ins and outs - basically, of the people who care, the vast vast majority get into a specialty school. And it isn't just Maggie walker, hence the original post.

I've never run into someone with an issue (note selection bias of course). People from out of town don't realize the city actually has some good schools.

No one is disputing that much of the district is a disaster. But almost every parent in my daughters kindergarten has a graduate degree and falls firmly into the well educated professional upper middle class. This is part of the story that doesn't get told here.

Ironically, western henrico schools are much more socioeconomically diverse than Fox and Mumford. And yes, that is freaking some people out, its got a feedback loop going.

The failsafe for kids who are merely good, not stellar, tends to be a sale and move across the county line, they end up in Freeman. Also perhaps counter to people's perceptions, houses these days cost less when you leave the city, so it's an easy move.
Okay, so 151 spots. But if almost every kindergartener in your daughter's school has a parent with a graduate degree (same situation in my Short Pump neighborhood where median household income is north of $150k), how the heck can you assume in 2024 there will be enough spots for the qualified students?

As far as socioeconomic diversity, let's look at empirical data rather than anecdotal data. Fox and Mumford are both around 20% free or reduced price lunch. The Far West End schools are much lower (e.g., Rivers Edge is 1.8%, Shady Grove is 3.2%, Kaechle is 2.7%, etc.)

Another weakness of the city relative to the counties is that the kids from Henrico and Chesterfield, particularly those from the IB program in Henrico and the CBG program in Chesterfield, are much better prepared for MW or any other high school.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 AM

19,344 posts, read 17,231,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlesaf3 View Post
You can get a great public education in Richmond. Not sure you can get a good public education, beyond elementary school, where you can.

If you can't get into a specialty school in high school you are toast. If you can, you'll be surrounded by highly motivated kids and parents.

If my daughter can't compete her way into a richmond specialty school, I will a) talk my wife down off the ledge, b) write a check to St. Catherines, and C) stop worrying about her education...

And I'm merely saying that there is the possibility of a good education in the city, I'm certainly not defending the school district's performance. Good people are trying to change it now, and making progress, but a good fair bit is still the usual urban car crash/clusterf. The system currently fails the vast majority of the kids in it.
This is the text book reason that Richmond can not keep a solid middle class. As you point out you can select a neighborhood with a good ES that has parental involvement but after that it's a dice shoot. Not every child has the academics or desire to go the specialty route and more parents than not can afford the private route. Most simply choose the burbs where finding a decent education is more the norm than the exception.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,996,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
This is the text book reason that Richmond can not keep a solid middle class. As you point out you can select a neighborhood with a good ES that has parental involvement but after that it's a dice shoot. Not every child has the academics or desire to go the specialty route and more parents than not can afford the private route. Most simply choose the burbs where finding a decent education is more the norm than the exception.
Truthfully, the better West End schools aren't even available for the solid middle class. Solid middle class is Tucker or Hermitage...or even Varina and Henrico. We've reached a point where you have to be on the lower rungs of upper-middle-class to feel middle class at all. Can a family of four with a household income of 120k (solidly middle-class and more than twice the national median household income) afford a house in a Deep Run or Godwin feeder neighborhood?

Old 05-03-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Truthfully, the better West End schools aren't even available for the solid middle class. Solid middle class is Tucker or Hermitage...or even Varina and Henrico. We've reached a point where you have to be on the lower rungs of upper-middle-class to feel middle class at all. Can a family of four with a household income of 120k (solidly middle-class and more than twice the national median household income) afford a house in a Deep Run or Godwin feeder neighborhood?
Yep. I make a lot less than that (single mom, no child support, stayed at home for eight years) and have Shady Grove, Short Pump, and Deep Run--about as good as it gets on paper--as my school assignments. There are homes in Wyndham and Twin Hickory and on the other side of Broad Street under $300 k.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:59 AM

19,344 posts, read 17,231,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Sorry but both my kids graduated from Tucker, had a great experience and were well prepared for college and yes we are solid middle class not some rung or two below because we aren't in a far west end neighborhood...

Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,789,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sls76 View Post
Okay, so 151 spots. But if almost every kindergartener in your daughter's school has a parent with a graduate degree (same situation in my Short Pump neighborhood where median household income is north of $150k), how the heck can you assume in 2024 there will be enough spots for the qualified students?

As far as socioeconomic diversity, let's look at empirical data rather than anecdotal data. Fox and Mumford are both around 20% free or reduced price lunch. The Far West End schools are much lower (e.g., Rivers Edge is 1.8%, Shady Grove is 3.2%, Kaechle is 2.7%, etc.)

Another weakness of the city relative to the counties is that the kids from Henrico and Chesterfield, particularly those from the IB program in Henrico and the CBG program in Chesterfield, are much better prepared for MW or any other high school.
look at the changes in Fox, vis socio, post redistricting... especially in the lower grades where lottery is no longer open. But yes, the competition will get harder, but the options should get better as well, for the same reason.

And no doubt the city of Richmond needs to improve the schools to keep the middle class. We lose too many people to the suburbs after elementary school, people who don't want to leave. But it is getting remarkably better every year, despite the headlines

Old 05-15-2016, 10:57 AM

334 posts, read 854,415 times
Are there really no OK public high schools in Richmond that aren't magnet/specialty? It looks like Jefferson has an IB program. My older child has taken both IB and AP classes in NY, and the IB seems much more in depth and prepares you better for college than AP.

We may be moving to the Richmond area with my rising 9th grader in the fall. Richmond itself is a much better fit for our family than the suburbs. My son currently goes to a poorly ranked, high poverty school with metal detectors in NY, but I have discovered that once you get past that, there are excellent teachers and pockets of greatness. Is there anyone who has sent their kids to a general public Richmond high school who can comment? I have found that people who are just going on hearsay about schools have all kinds of incorrect ideas.

We are overeducated professionals, so we are able to advocate for our kids and fill in the academic gaps at home, but worry about atmosphere. Do the kids feel safe at school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond