Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 08:01 AM

115 posts, read 84,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewhann View Post
It’s going to be a late peak again this year and the peak Will probably be dull. To hot and dry too late in season. We could get a ton of rain and a cold snap, but for the last couple of years, it hasn’t had the vibrancy of 8 years ago.

Go to CT or Elsewhere in New England. There’s a wider variety of hardwood tree species and a more vibrant leaf season (even in a peak Virginia year).

Colors are not great here in CT and New England. It's been dry here too. The colors we're getting now are deep but dull colors when we usually get bright and shiny colors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 12:17 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,874,729 times
Yes, unfortunately the foliage this year looks like a bust. I’ve been to NE many times, sometimes it’s a hit sometimes a miss. Too bad for the area because a lot of folks count on the “leaf peeper” business so that hurts them. But since I’m coming to primarily explore the area, the foliage would just have been a bonus for me. I did check out Springhill Suites but all they had for accessibility room was on the first floor and I don’t think I could handle that for a week...too busy/noisy. What do you think? Guess I’m going to have to start researching again.

Old 10-05-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
Yes, unfortunately the foliage this year looks like a bust. I’ve been to NE many times, sometimes it’s a hit sometimes a miss. Too bad for the area because a lot of folks count on the “leaf peeper” business so that hurts them. But since I’m coming to primarily explore the area, the foliage would just have been a bonus for me. I did check out Springhill Suites but all they had for accessibility room was on the first floor and I don’t think I could handle that for a week...too busy/noisy. What do you think? Guess I’m going to have to start researching again.

Yes, fall color is a hit or miss. Here in western CT, the leaves are changing but the colors are dull. I don't have a pic to show but I doubt any changes will be our typical bright, eye catching New England colors.

I agree about the first floor. Noise above you and noise outside of your door/hallway. I usually like the highest floor. If you prefer to stay in the Short Pump area, maybe do a radius search based on that Springhill Suites location? Also a search near Short Pump Town Center? Both areas are quite nice and you won't be far from food, stores, Midlothian and Richmond.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:24 PM

Found a hotel in Glen Allen...Drury. It’s brand new and they had everything I wanted/needed to accommodate me for my stay. Hopefully it will work out for a 6 day stay. It’s definitely in a good location. I’m contacting some apartments to visit. I’m excited and a friend is going to meet me for a few days to help me check out places too. I’ll give you an update when I get back on how things went!

Old 10-10-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Found a hotel in Glen Allen...Drury. It’s brand new and they had everything I wanted/needed to accommodate me for my stay. Hopefully it will work out for a 6 day stay. It’s definitely in a good location. I’m contacting some apartments to visit. I’m excited and a friend is going to meet me for a few days to help me check out places too. I’ll give you an update when I get back on how things went!
Nice! Yes, that area is nice. You'll be quite close to Short Pump Town Center. Good luck with your search and enjoy your stay. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:10 PM

Reporting back on my trip to Richmond! Had a good time and enjoyed seeing my friend again. I stayed at the Drury in Glen Allen which is in a very central location so that worked out well. My mission was primarily to visit apartments in that area and Midlothian. I got the general feel for Glen Allen as being not city but urban, with lots of convenient shopping along Broad St. Felt more dense than typical suburbs. Everyone was very friendly and seemed happy being there. Thought it had good energy. I saw 2 apartment properties there, neither of which would have worked because they are smoking properties, which is a deal breaker for me. Wish I had researched that aspect of it beforehand, but coming from California I didn’t really think of it. Anyway, I went out to Midlothian and really liked it there too. But, again, after seeing 9 more complexes, only 2 were smoke free. One was too old and the other could possibly have worked out. There was a good feel there, it’s growing, and had all the basic shopping one would need. However, upon reflection, it is a ways out there, like 25 miles, so I wouldn’t be going into Richmond too frequently. But everyone was super nice, and it’s a pretty area. Both Glen Allen and Midlo were very clean. My personal primary roadblocks to the area are the housing situation (my personal issue), quality of healthcare (again, a personal priority for me). As far as crime rate, I didn’t feel in any danger any of the places I visited (although there was a road rage shooting near Hull St while I was there. At my age and lifestyle I doubt I would go into DT Richmond at night but I rarely go out at night generally. Overall I liked the vibe there, I felt it was an interesting mix of southern and mid-Atlantic. The people were a strong selling point, every body was really helpful and seemed to be happy being there. I’m glad I went and checked it out. Oh, I did get to see some pretty colorful foliage about the third day I was there!

Last edited by loveautumn; 11-12-2019 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: Add commeny

Old 11-13-2019, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Reporting back on my trip to Richmond! Had a good time and enjoyed seeing my friend again. I stayed at the Drury in Glen Allen which is in a very central location so that worked out well. My mission was primarily to visit apartments in that area and Midlothian. I got the general feel for Glen Allen as being not city but urban, with lots of convenient shopping along Broad St. Felt more dense than typical suburbs. Everyone was very friendly and seemed happy being there. Thought it had good energy. I saw 2 apartment properties there, neither of which would have worked because they are smoking properties, which is a deal breaker for me. Wish I had researched that aspect of it beforehand, but coming from California I didn’t really think of it. Anyway, I went out to Midlothian and really liked it there too. But, again, after seeing 9 more complexes, only 2 were smoke free. One was too old and the other could possibly have worked out. There was a good feel there, it’s growing, and had all the basic shopping one would need. However, upon reflection, it is a ways out there, like 25 miles, so I wouldn’t be going into Richmond too frequently. But everyone was super nice, and it’s a pretty area. Both Glen Allen and Midlo were very clean. My personal primary roadblocks to the area are the housing situation (my personal issue), quality of healthcare (again, a personal priority for me). As far as crime rate, I didn’t feel in any danger any of the places I visited (although there was a road rage shooting near Hull St while I was there. At my age and lifestyle I doubt I would go into DT Richmond at night but I rarely go out at night generally. Overall I liked the vibe there, I felt it was an interesting mix of southern and mid-Atlantic. The people were a strong selling point, every body was really helpful and seemed to be happy being there. I’m glad I went and checked it out. Oh, I did get to see some pretty colorful foliage about the third day I was there!
Welcome back! Glad to hear that your trip went well. It's interesting to read about your perspective (or just different perspectives in general). I thought the Glen Allen area was more densely suburban then urban, to me. Perhaps my view is different because of where I live and come from and that's what I am basing my perspective on. When you refer to quality of healthcare for that area, what does that mean? I too didn't feel any danger in any of the places I went though I'm sure they have crime- it's everywhere in the world. At this point, what do you think you'll do/next steps?

Old 11-13-2019, 08:29 AM

100 posts, read 128,531 times
Posted this in the pics thread but I enjoyed this foliage on monument. Still some yellow's on the ginkos and other trees.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Forgot to mention I did eat at the Grapevine and it was very good, and they were very accommodating in helping with my food issues, thx for the recommendation! As far as health care, I think per my research that Richmond has lower hospital ratings than I expected and I didn’t see a lot of health care facilities around but they are probably there. Course where I live is like 3 times more population, so we do have plentiful access. I’ve heard mixed comments on Richmond healthcare, some say good and some say not so much. My friend who just moved to Virginia said she thought the care was ok but not nearly as good as she previously had. Healthcare is a big priority for me. Anyway, I’m back to looking at Raleigh again, I’m checking out apartments there online, going to have to make a decision soon.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Forgot to mention I did eat at the Grapevine and it was very good, and they were very accommodating in helping with my food issues, thx for the recommendation! As far as health care, I think per my research that Richmond has lower hospital ratings than I expected and I didn’t see a lot of health care facilities around but they are probably there. Course where I live is like 3 times more population, so we do have plentiful access. I’ve heard mixed comments on Richmond healthcare, some say good and some say not so much. My friend who just moved to Virginia said she thought the care was ok but not nearly as good as she previously had. Healthcare is a big priority for me. Anyway, I’m back to looking at Raleigh again, I’m checking out apartments there online, going to have to make a decision soon.

Glad to hear you liked the Grapevine!

Healthcare is definitely something to consider. I've heard Raleigh has some great healthcare due to its location to the universities.

I've not been to Raleigh. I have to Charlotte though. What's Raleigh like? How would you compare it to Richmond?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond