Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 AM

58 posts, read 452,144 times

Advertisements

OK - considering a move to the suburbs of Richmond, either the west or south side. Have heard loads of good stuff, and the infastructure looks decent (you have to know, I'm near the sticks in the Alps) and the only bad being mosquitos. Can anyone else tell me what they hate about this city - not downtown, not where gangs are - I know any city can have crime spots and traffic, but in general, is there something I don't know yet? My husband will have a home office, so no commute, and we have 3 young kids in school. So, those things considered. Any shockers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2006, 01:30 PM

Location: I temporarily live on Earth until my owners bring me back to Nephlon 12
8 posts, read 52,184 times
Never stayed in Richmond, but driving through it, it looks like a dirty city.

Old 05-08-2006, 07:49 PM

30 posts, read 155,656 times
I agree, I went whitewater rafting through the city and it doesn't look like a nice place. You always hear about Richmond being charming and stuff, and I guess that part exists, but I've never seen it.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 27,952 times
My brother lives there, we kidded him about buying him a tazer and teaching him how to dodge and weave while walking. Most everything I have heard has been bad crime.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,263 times
richmond gets a bad rap like most urban cities the city is wicked . but the suburbs are great. the southside and the west are just about urban sprawl, every kind of store you could imagine . lots of traffic, on the east side you have mechanicsville which is starting to grow rapidly but not quit as bad . and if you venture for the country quiet type of life try the far east end of henrico county,the varina area, its hard to find a store out there but it is so peaceful not much traffic or crime . all in all i moved to the richmond area 20 years ago and i havent regretted it once! come on down!!

Old 05-12-2006, 12:08 PM

Default Thanks htlong

Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong
richmond gets a bad rap like most urban cities the city is wicked . but the suburbs are great. the southside and the west are just about urban sprawl, every kind of store you could imagine . lots of traffic, on the east side you have mechanicsville which is starting to grow rapidly but not quit as bad . and if you venture for the country quiet type of life try the far east end of henrico county,the varina area, its hard to find a store out there but it is so peaceful not much traffic or crime . all in all i moved to the richmond area 20 years ago and i havent regretted it once! come on down!!
Nice to hear - do you know anything about the schools out there in Henrico? We'd like to be within 20 minutes of a mall or at least a Walmart; a local little grocery would be helpful, but we prefer more country, but not spooky isolated as my husband has to travel occasionally. Any thoughts? Thank you!

Old 05-18-2006, 08:26 AM

if you want country try east of i-295 south of i-64 and north of the river .
the henrico county schools are very good, there are grocery stores 5 to 10 miles and little country general stores through out the area.
the malls are 25 miles north and south using i-295 .
this area is starting to get alot of housing develoments due to richmond has no where else to grow.
if you want a small town, try hopewell south of the river .
mechanicsville is the place if you want all of the stores but it wont be long till it is to busy.
my freinds live in the south and west part of richmond and i always tell them that any store the need is within two miles from their house.....and there lies the problem.
check out henrico county website and see if it gives any imfo.
and living on the east side you are 30 miles from the outlet stores in wmburg, and 80 miles from va beach
as i said i moved here 20 yrs. ago and never regretted a minute.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:43 AM

Default Mechanicsville growing?

Would you say that Mechanicsville realty is going to jump in the next year or so? When you talk about traffic on the west side, do you mean standing 3 lane stuff and major delays; are the roads built to handle it, or are they expanding too quickly to accomodate the amount of people? Are there parks or places to jog etc. on the east side? Are there many outisders on the east side, or mostly "original" folks? Any info. is so helpful! Thanks!

Old 05-21-2006, 08:12 PM

mechanicsville is going to raise in value,henrico county is great about planning, it is a four lane highway not really standing just conjested.
i dont go out there for anything , i just drive over to mechanicsville or usualy ill cross the river and go to chester, chester is starting to grow but not nearly as fast as the rest of the area. there is dory park on the east end of henrico which has walking trAils and baseball and soccer fields its located on darbytown rd. pretty much everyone is pretty friendly anymore, but 20 years ago the civil war was still being fought and with me being a yankee....but just tell them they really won the war and you'll have no problem.

Old 05-22-2006, 04:29 AM

Default this is good to know

Thank you again - I'm so glad to hear these details. Honestly, I hate driving (is this a bad thing?!) - or, hate not so much traffic, but poorly planned communities where not only is there a lot of people, but they are in a rush, frantically changing lanes or merging dangerously in and out all to pick up a carton of milk on the way home from work. I'd really prefer to be in a spot where I can take some little country road most of the way, live in a quieter area, but be less than 20 minutes to a half an hour from a Super walmart and a mall. Really only because we have small kids and they inevitably always need something or are growing out of their clothes overnight. But we prefer country living in general. Are you saying Chesterfield county didn't do such a great planning job when they expanded?

We're "yankees" too, so thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond