Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 07:31 PM

10 posts, read 11,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
You're forcing yourself to worry about nonsense. Stop watching mainstream media. There's isn't a race war, nobody cares what color your skin is! This isn't the 50s! Just because an extreme minority in this country are morons doesn't mean anything. There is absolutely NO shortage of interracial couples, black people in white neighborhoods, white people in black neighborhoods etc. Nobody cares! I'm in Western Henrico (Glen Allen) and literally EVERYBODY lives here! No issues. I'd personally stay out of of the city proper, go with Henrico or Chesterfield. I'm biased towards Henrico clearly. I've lived in this area for 10yrs now and I've yet to EVER see or experience any issues related to race. Given you have a healthy income I'd say Glen Allen / Short Pump area. Nice stereotype burbs, real good schools, tons of shopping, still close to the city if you need that.
It's not about the media. Just because cell phones are now activated and we seeing more of the racism does not mean it was never there. I just don't want my kids to have to endure the same unnecessarily when we worked so hard to create a better life for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
For suburbs, you’ve got a good housing budget and could live comfortable in any area.
Short Pump has the best combination of diversity and affluence. Middle and upper class black families live there alongside a cosmopolitan population. The schools are great and there are community pools and fitness centers (obviously).

Try Twin Hickory and Wyndham (they may be in Glenn Allen but that area is all Short Pump to me). If you live here long enough to be become an empty nester (or if you can afford private school for the children) move into the Fan.
I might try the fan. I'm thinking of private if I can find one that is diverse enough.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:34 PM

28,723 posts, read 18,952,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeNeedLife View Post
Hello!

Thank you all in advance to responding to my post. I am a mid 30's woman considering a move to Richmond. I am black and are married to a black man and have black kids. I received a job offer in Richmond but I'm having anxiety, nervousness and panic about experiencing racism, segregation, terror, indifference and lack of acceptance. My biggest fear is for my kids. I experienced persistent racism when I was younger and had to undergo several years of therapy to love my dark skin. I want to avoid similar encounters for my kids. My house budget is $200-500K depending on the house, area, community and diversity. Which suburbs would you recommend for diversity and inclusion, friendliness, family outings, pool, community feel, restaurants and shops? Also, would you recommend that a black family moves to Richmond or is the area to segregated without black acceptance? We are a highly educated couple with income of $300k yearly. I want to do what's best for our kids and not cause another family move to prevent psychological harm. Please help. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Where are you living that such is not already just as much an issue? If it's in the media, it's in your children's world, because they don't draw a distinction between the images they see in media and their "world" outside your door.,

Old 07-07-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe5 View Post
Insert roaring applause here Someone else gets it, thank you. The click-bait media has this country hypnotized with their ridiculous BS.

However I very much disagree with staying out of the city, it's revitalized a lot and continues to do more. Henrico is great too. Personally I would avoid much of Glen Allen and west end/Short Pump area, but that's me. Unless you love traffic lights, the always-congested Broad St and overpriced strip mall junk. IMO just south of town is also extremely underrated..Chester and the like. I didn't realize until I visited friends there recently. I'm looking there myself. Plus you're that much closer to Hampton Roads (Norfolk Virginia Beach etc).

My only caveat would be I hope you don't mind hearing people blast their music a lot because it's all the rage here (I'm sure we aren't the only area just FYI). In their yard, their homes, their cars...you can't go long without some village idiot THUMP THUMP THUMPing away, even in nicer areas.

Also I think it's an unofficial law that you have to drive slow in the left lane and hold people up behind you, but I'm sure we aren't the only area with those rocket scientists either!
I do not mind music playing. It does not bother me if someone drives a car and is enjoying their music. I am evenly split with suburb vs city life. However, I think out of the city is better for the kids.

Old 07-07-2020, 08:15 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,289,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
You're forcing yourself to worry about nonsense. Stop watching mainstream media. There's isn't a race war, nobody cares what color your skin is! This isn't the 50s! Just because an extreme minority in this country are morons doesn't mean anything. There is absolutely NO shortage of interracial couples, black people in white neighborhoods, white people in black neighborhoods etc. Nobody cares! I'm in Western Henrico (Glen Allen) and literally EVERYBODY lives here! No issues. I'd personally stay out of of the city proper, go with Henrico or Chesterfield. I'm biased towards Henrico clearly. I've lived in this area for 10yrs now and I've yet to EVER see or experience any issues related to race. Given you have a healthy income I'd say Glen Allen / Short Pump area. Nice stereotype burbs, real good schools, tons of shopping, still close to the city if you need that.
This.

Amennnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Old 07-09-2020, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 7,790 times
I'm a white male from the North living in Richmond, so take my opinion with a grain of salt -- but, I wouldn't be worried if you're moving to Richmond, especially in the city. The Fan District, as you've mentioned, is excellent. Lots of young families there. Very progressive politically. The recent demonstrations in Richmond have been a wonderful mix of races, and the young people in our city - especially around the VCU area- are incredibly diverse. Now, I don't know as much about the suburbs because I live downtown, but don't let the city's history scare you - it's become much more modern and progressive. Also, congrats on the job!

Old 07-09-2020, 12:14 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,481,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder123 View Post
I'm a white male from the North living in Richmond, so take my opinion with a grain of salt -- but, I wouldn't be worried if you're moving to Richmond, especially in the city. The Fan District, as you've mentioned, is excellent. Lots of young families there. Very progressive politically. The recent demonstrations in Richmond have been a wonderful mix of races, and the young people in our city - especially around the VCU area- are incredibly diverse. Now, I don't know as much about the suburbs because I live downtown, but don't let the city's history scare you - it's become much more modern and progressive. Also, congrats on the job!
Quite frankly, that would be the thing that concerned me the most. I see "progressives" talk a good game, but rarely walk the walk.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:18 PM

30,766 posts, read 18,481,819 times
Quote:
It's not about the media. Just because cell phones are now activated and we seeing more of the racism does not mean it was never there. I just don't want my kids to have to endure the same unnecessarily when we worked so hard to create a better life for them.
Racism will always be there because people are, well, people. But it is nowhere near as pervasive of a problem as the media and the BLM crowd makes it out to be. You'll be fine in Richmond. The only place where I'd advise against living are many of the inner cities throughout the country where you and your family would actually be in danger from gangs.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:35 PM

13 posts, read 46,552 times
Quote:
Hello!

Thank you all in advance to responding to my post. I am a mid 30's woman considering a move to Richmond. I am black and are married to a black man and have black kids. I received a job offer in Richmond but I'm having anxiety, nervousness and panic about experiencing racism, segregation, terror, indifference and lack of acceptance. My biggest fear is for my kids. I experienced persistent racism when I was younger and had to undergo several years of therapy to love my dark skin. I want to avoid similar encounters for my kids. My house budget is $200-500K depending on the house, area, community and diversity. Which suburbs would you recommend for diversity and inclusion, friendliness, family outings, pool, community feel, restaurants and shops? Also, would you recommend that a black family moves to Richmond or is the area to segregated without black acceptance? We are a highly educated couple with income of $300k yearly. I want to do what's best for our kids and not cause another family move to prevent psychological harm. Please help. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Hello!

Black Richmonder here.

The question is not so much "Richmond," but rather which *neighborhood* in the area you all choose. I grew up in the suburbs (North Chesterfield/Midlothian), which was fairly white, and I *did* experience subtle discrimination from a few kids which had to be addressed with a parent-teacher conference back in middle school (this was the early '90s), but overall, it was okay.

If you all decide to live in Richmond proper, the caliber of the schools may not be the best (private school is a whole other show, but again—very white, so your kids may suffer). If y'all go the suburban route, I *highly recommend* that you enroll your children in extracurriculars in the city which are rooted in diversity/Black culture (SPARC, African Dance/Elegba, Black History Museum, etc), so that they can at least feel affirmed in their identity/identities.

As a young adult, I lived in the Fan for a good minute (mid-2000s) in an apt building - folks mostly kept to themselves, but were generally friendly. Also, if you haven't already, check out the Bellevue neighborhood in Northside - not a lot of Black families that I can remember, but very progressive (LGBTQ+ friendly, mixed-income, etc).

Good luck! <3

Last edited by n8vRVAer; 09-09-2020 at 03:45 PM..

Old 11-01-2020, 09:47 PM

100 posts, read 219,869 times
Quote:
Hello!

I would increase your budget a bit and move to the City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond