Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2021, 06:23 AM

49 posts, read 72,548 times

Advertisements

I am reposting this hoping for some responses.
I need general info on suburbs of Richmond and living in the city itself with a housing budget under$210k

Is this possible in Richmond itself and if not what suburbs would it be possible in?

I am looking on realtor dot com and it looks like the price range is a sight issue? Plus need at least two bath or one & 1/2 & most only have one. Hopewell comes up as more affordable but I’m thinking that area may not be that great?

We don’t have school kids so no factors there & we are ok with a small house and older is ok also.small yard etc. would most likely be working in Richmond or nearby .

We do not want something rural. Fairly close to retail & amenities . Would prefer in town location over a subdivision but that’s not a deal breaker.

I am thinking price range is a problem. Although people keep telling me Richmond is affordable so...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 09:27 AM

47 posts, read 56,784 times
$210k will be hard with the current market. People saying Richmond is affordable are probably people saying that in comparison to places like the DC area.

With remote work becoming a full time thing in a lot of companies you are seeing people leave Nova and moving to the Richmond area and the prices are reflecting that.

Old 01-20-2021, 10:06 AM

1,023 posts, read 912,972 times
Hopewell isn't the best area. Its also not a great commute to the city from there because no highway goes directly to the town except 295 which was literally built to bypass the city. I agree that your budget would make it a little tight in the Richmond area. I would try looking at some parts of the city that are a ways south of the James River and the northern parts of Churchill. These aren't the most favorable parts of the city but they aren't horrible places and are definitely livable.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...12522906_zpid/
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...12518636_zpid/

This one is a new construction right across the bridge from downtown. I've driven by and they have some of the properties up now. It's pretty much a small, new in city neighborhood. Off the beaten path and quiet.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...26295262_zpid/
This is the street view of the area from a few years ago. They've built it up more since but they still don't even have the street on google maps yet
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5577...=en&authuser=0
https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5566...=en&authuser=0

Old 01-20-2021, 06:31 PM

49 posts, read 72,548 times
I appreciate all that info.
What about Chester and chesterfield?

And colonial heights ?

Old 01-21-2021, 08:25 AM

95 posts, read 92,027 times
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but with a budget of 210k you won't find anything decent in the counties either. Demand here is high while supply is low -- has caused housing to appreciate over 10 percent in many areas.

Richmond is not affordable on a national level or adjusted to its size - its just "affordable" relative to big cities.

You may have more luck if you could raise your budget to at least $275k or you could try Petersburg though, which is slowly getting nicer.

Last edited by Jupiter1162; 01-21-2021 at 08:36 AM..

Old 01-23-2021, 10:10 PM

553 posts, read 616,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgthompson123 View Post
I appreciate all that info.
What about Chester and chesterfield?

And colonial heights ?
All decent areas (I am assuming that "Chesterfield" here means the 23832 or 23838 ZIP Codes, which are the two with "Chesterfield, VA" addresses), though I'd have to wonder at the condition of properties for sale in your stated price range.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 AM

1,514 posts, read 2,777,563 times
normally your budget would be ok, though not great - you could get something with compromises. But this year has been crazy, there is very little for sale. And the city is on fire, lots of people want to live there now. So it's going to be hard to find a place in this price range, whereas 2 years ago it would have been pretty easy.

I'd say you should rent for a year. That will probably bring things back more normal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond