Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Mixed race couple seeking diverse community, lots of trees, bungalows, Residents Club

Old 05-21-2008, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 5,319 times

Advertisements

I am a Canadian in love with a Richmonder and am contemplating a move down there in the fall. From my Northern perspective, I was struck by how racially divided the communities and city seem to be. My boyfriend is African-American, currently living in Varina and I am White girl used to living downtown in a large, historic metropolitan area with her dog. We would like to find a community that is somewhat diverse and welcoming of a mixed race couple and his children from a previous marriage. We would be looking for a home in the $250 to $300 K range, not too far from his job in the North East end and not too far out in the burbs although I am hoping to find a neighborhood with lots of trees as I am not used to the Virginia heat. Any insider tips would be most appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 12:03 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,896,707 times
Try North Side/Ginter Park and environs. Lots of bungalows with trees and yards, and a really "mixed" neighborhood. Check the school situation, though, depending upon the ages of the kids.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,319 times
Thanks for the suggestions, I have just gotten back and really liked the Chickahomminy Bluffs area and was thinking the North end was a good option and I'll be sure to check out Ginter Park on my next trip. Your reply is appreciated.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:37 AM

743 posts, read 3,901,098 times
Ladysmith Village Welcome

The community I live in is really full of mixed couples. (My wife and I being one of them)

This community is new, and being built to be like a small town, where you can walk from your house to a lot of the places near by.

$250k - $300k will get you a lot here. You could get a nice 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 car garage with a basement for around $250k, or go all the way up to a 5 bedroom, 3.5 bath, 2 car garage and a full basement for around $300k.

You can even go lower in price if you want, but the size of the home drops off a lot below $250k.

Anyways, the $6 million Residents Club and pool will be opening in around a month! the club house is HUGE, and the pool is 8 lanes, plus a water excersize area, plus a beach style entry for the kids with water slides and water spraying everywhere. There is also a kiddy pool and a place to BBQ and eat that's near the pool, but separate. (To keep the food away from the pool)

Anyways, there is a new library within the community, a new $20 million state-of-the-art Elementary School, a new Amphitheater for outdoor summer concerts and festivals, a dog park, playground, and 2 other parks for kids to play in, and have events and parties in.

Soon to come, there will be live/work units built in the community, so that small shops will be right down the street... a new county park is to be completed in 2009, with all kinds of ball fields for the kids and adults alike. The hikeing/walking/biking trails will be expended in the next couple years to include MILES of all kinds of trails, all throughout the 150 acre nature preserve along the 'South River' (more of a creek, but whatever)

If you're worried about the commute (we're off of exit 110 on I-95, north of Richmond), I'd say it would take about 35 minutes to drive to the north-eastern part of Richmond. (I drive tot he north-western part every day, and it takes about 35 minutes from door to door) Traffic is hardly ever backed up, so it's really just highway cruising the whole way.

Well, anyways, I think you'd get a lot for your money here, and I think you'd enjoy the deversity and activities we have all year long. At least stop by on your next visit! The visitor's center is open around 10-5:30 daily (double check on their website, sometimes they change their hours)

Let me know if you have any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
View detailed profiles of: