Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 02:34 PM

12 posts, read 35,672 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to relocate to the Richmond area after the 1st of the year… The cost of living is a lot cheaper and I understand that comes with a priceMy job in Ohio will be eliminated at the end of the year and I accepted a transfer to the northern Virginia area... I just cannot afford to live there my job will cover the relocation cost. I have to find my own housing they have short term corporate housing, which is a last resort.

I have 2 daughters ages 9 and 12. I can deal with some crime, I understand its everywhere but the safer the better. I looked over old post in the forum and info others have given... Most of the forums I looked at are old..., to the point I know area’s can change very quick. So for the most part, I am comparing notes with the old forums and today, where are the safer areas of Richmond? Good school systems? I do not know a lot about the bridges, but my new employer advised me about the traffic and the bridges that go out… I have been down for 2 visits to northern Virginia, which I liked, and Richmond, which was ok. Now visiting and living in an area are two different things. I can not get the feel for Va.

Last edited by zthasan614; 07-20-2009 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: it looked weird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:33 PM

383 posts, read 1,018,456 times
I moved here 30 years ago...and never looked back. A great area to raise a family! Come on down!

Old 07-20-2009, 08:31 PM

743 posts, read 3,904,943 times
I don't understand... you can accept a transfer to a job in Northern Virginia, but you're thinking of living in Richmond? You'd be a 1.5 - 2.5 hour commute in the morning and a 2-4 hour drive home. (Depending on where in NoVa your job is located)

Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM

243 posts, read 1,630,953 times
Move to nova...don't be cheap...NoVa>>>....I'm a NoVa boy myself, was up there this weekend and I was blown away about how that area is 10 years ahead of Richmond...plus u have D.C.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 AM

370 posts, read 1,011,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
Move to nova...don't be cheap...NoVa>>>....I'm a NoVa boy myself, was up there this weekend and I was blown away about how that area is 10 years ahead of Richmond...plus u have D.C.
10 years ahead in the sheer volume of chain stores or in traffic congestion? Maybe both?

Anyways, if you liked Northern Virginia but feel like you have to live in Richmond I would suggest moving to Short Pump. It's like Richmond's little-NOVA with strip malls and chain stores literally everywhere. I couldn't tell you much about housing prices out there however.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,707,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric75 View Post
10 years ahead in the sheer volume of chain stores or in traffic congestion? Maybe both?

Anyways, if you liked Northern Virginia but feel like you have to live in Richmond I would suggest moving to Short Pump. It's like Richmond's little-NOVA with strip malls and chain stores literally everywhere. I couldn't tell you much about housing prices out there however.
Short Pump is definitely like an uncongested Northern Virginia. We moved from Nova in 2002 and love Short Pump. You have excellent schools to choose from. Most of the elementaries in 23233 and 23059 (the Henrico part that feeds into Short Pump Middle) are excellent. Ideally I'd look for something that feeds into Short Pump Middle or Pocahontas Middle schools. It's a very safe and convenient area.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:37 AM

15 posts, read 76,568 times
I am considering relocating to Richmond but I have never actually been to Richmond. Can anybody tell me what other cities Richmond is comparable to as far as the size of the downtown urban area and things like that

Old 08-01-2009, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,271 times
I'm interested in moving to Va @ the beginning of next yr. I'm a college student and I would like to be close to an area where I can go to school, be safe, work, and also have a nightlife if I chose. I currently stay in Fl and I just need something different. Any advice is appreciated and welcomed. Thx!

Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtaylo24 View Post
oh boy, now you've done it lol. NoVa is VERY expensive though. I'm sure it is more modern because it's right there beside DC. I too am confused about the job being in NoVa and you wanting to come to Richmond to live? It is a long trip. About 3 months ago I asked in the Va forums what the differences are between Richmond and NoVa and this is what they said. There is also this thread for advice where to move to in VA

Well until this is cleared up you can keep an eye on the local Richmond news

NBC12 News, Weather Sports, Traffic, and Programming Guide for Richmond, VA | - Home
WRIC Richmond News and Weather - - WRICTV8 - Home
Home - wtvr

For crime reports:
Welcome to the Richmond Police Department (http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/police/Chief/Media/dailycrimereports.aspx - broken link)
Richmond Police Department: Crime Incident Information (http://www.ci.richmond.va.us/applications/crimeinfo/index.asp - broken link)

events:
Venture Richmond
River District News - Richmond, Virginia

So yea, if you like history i guess this is the place for you. There are more pics in the pictures thread and info on the venture richmond site.

Last edited by Anders15; 08-01-2009 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 AM

92 posts, read 255,067 times
Have you looked at Fredericksburg? It's about an hour north of Richmond

I would not recommend commuting from Richmond to DC especially since you have kids. I have an hour drive to and from work every day and it's horrible. It takes 2 extra hours out of the day. I can use that time to do so many other things.

Also, think about all the money you're going to be paying in gas and oil changes. Money that can be used on living.

One last thought, I moved to Richmond from Ohio and the cost of living in Richmond is a lot more than Ohio also.

Virginia is a beautiful place though. Find a place closer to work and I'm sure you'll like it down here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond