Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:59 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,807,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmier7 View Post
Ok, just got back from the company's whirlwind tour. 3 more interviews in Hartford, Ct left me fairly empty, last was with the vp over the entire division.
They flew me down to Richmond on Wed night.
Someone forgot to tell me to bring a SACKFULL OF QUARTERS!!! Dang, coming from the airport to the hotel I had to reach in my pocket and fork over 3x. Sorry, I just didn't expect it- expecially at 60mph- and exact change at night.
Had Thurs morning to look around by myself. I located areas that all of you suggested to see/live on this forum. Quite interesting. Most of the suburban area appears much like what is across the country. Actually you could probably swap houses in many states and wouldn't know it.
As for the city, that is different. First thing I noticed was that it wasn't crowded. The architechure is very interesting. I found the museums, downtown/financial area, and the capitol.
In the afternoon I met with the Richmond office personnel outside the city off of Midlothian tpk. Very nice people. I was whisked away by one of the directors, who informed me that it was her job to 'sell Richmond' to me. She actually drove 5 hrs from Penn to meet me at 4:00pm to do this, she is a native and lives in a Suburb to the west.
Well off in the VW convertable. She first drove through Byrd Park, then onto downtown/financial dist. Next was 'less fortunate' areas, because she believed it's best to see the whole picture, I thanked her that and being honest. Then onto the Fan/Carey st. This area was densly populated, but it had a there there. I liked it. We stopped and I walked around the Fan a while.
She showed me 'the Slip', 'the Bottom', clubs around that area, thewest side, south of the river areas etc. then back to the office.
All in all, I think I got a very good, but quick snapshot of the city.
Richmond is not Portland by any means. For me, Portland was love at first sight. However, I think I like Richmond. There is not much here which would be a definate turn off. The VP at the office was so cool, he really likes Richmond, org he's from Philly.
I like the Fan area as well. You all were right. Careytown is where it is happening. I ate at Amichi's, had a great meal. They knew how to make my favorite before dinner drink Negroni, that's a big plus.
I saw a place for sale on Floyd st, remodeled, I was told by the next door neighbor that it was on the market for a long time because it was overpriced at 367k. I have also seen other remodeled houses in the area in the 290-325 range, that seems to be the norm.
Well, I have to have the director make the offer on Monday, I've been waffling to help drive the wage upward. They know I love Portland, and they'll have to make it worth moving.
Do you mean Floyd Ave?? Thats where I live!

Maybe we can be neighbors. Carytown is a cool hip hangout for musicians like myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 11:41 PM

102 posts, read 406,671 times
The house for sale is 3240 Floyd, almost near the upper end of the west end.
I was told by a neighbor that it is overpriced at 367k and I belive her since most of what I've seen restored/remodeled is in the 299-320k range.
Do you know this house at 3240?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:16 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,787,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I think the West Side of Portland is perhaps the most beautiful City in America. (If you like Pine Trees, 1000 foot high hills and great views of snow capped peaks) Richmond is nothing special.
Just moved to austin, a very pretty city also, but alas, your right, Portland Oregon is the most beautiful city....actually Vancouver Wa could be, but then again, its really just an extension of Portland.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:19 AM

102 posts, read 406,671 times
Vancouver is not Portland.
Most of Vancouver are suburbs that rely on Portland's economy/jobs to support it. You see this with the daily traffic jamb across the bridges. Where Portland has it's bohemian flavor, Vancouver is mainly suburb and quasi rural. Many farms/ranches in the Vancouver/Battleground area are turning over to developers who then put 300 close quartered homes on it. Most if not all shopping is in malls and strip malls along a few roads, again traffic jambs just to go to the store on a Saturday.
Vancouver is very green and pretty with rolling hills, rural ranches, creeks and streams. However it is rapidly becoming just another overgrown suburb. Very few buisnesses are moving to Vancouver. People who live in Vancover usually move there so as not to be in the 'Portland' enviornment for their families, not realizing the fallout from that. There is real cultural advantages to living in Portland that they are missing.
Also, Washington state has sales tax, Oregon has no sales tax so many move to Vancouver and buy their goods in Portland. There is big opposition from Wa state to curb that, especially with vehicles registered in O and housed in Wa.
Also, documented, Vancouver is where the real meth use is located, not in Portland. Much of the use is among teens/young adults in the suburbs.
I'm not trashing Vancouver, I lived there for a short time, but I'm giving a realistic picture of it.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,940 times
Don't sound like you are committed to your career. I would stay where it's safe and cushy.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,905 times
I stumbled across this blog and felt compelled to give my unsolicted perspective about your upcoming move from Portland to Richmond. the advice i read in previous posts were not a good representation of Richmond's city neighborhoods other than the Fan District. the Fan District today is beginning to resemble a suburban neighborhood. now the Fan is fully gentrified a flood of young professionals with their 1.5 kids and golden retrievers are comfortable enough to experience 'city living'.

While there more crime in the city, many county residents opinions were not all formed from personal experience. opinions are formed from things we learn. it is obvious when people read only our daily newspaper's version of reporting and professional journalism. crime can happen anywhere so you shouldn't live in suburban sprawl and gated community-hell just to avoid the crime. if you live in the city and get to know and speak to everyone you meet your neighbors will watch out for you and long-time residents will make sure the community knows you are a good neighbor. The suburan neighborhoods miss out on so many features of this old city - (by the way - i am speaking from personal experience and my own opinion of limitations and benefits of living in this area. i am a native virginian. my childhood in country-club-land, private schools, and privelidge and did not appreciate this until i entered a grad program at a state university which gave me a new outlook on life)
I hope you will consider living in other city neighborhoods like Woodland Heights, Church Hill, Northside (Bellevue, Ginter Park,etc.) Jackson Ward, Carver, Union Hill, Oregan Hill and many pockets of progressive, friendly, community-minded, multi-cultural, mixed income families, singles, small businesses, homeowners, renters, students, children and seniors.

Our city needs more people from progressive cities like Portland which will contribute to a more connected, engaged diverse community and less of the "good 'ol boy" network that is fortunately dying off.

check out Church Hill People's news at Church Hill People’s News - Richmond, Virginia (my neighborhood blog) and visit the directory where you can find the neighborhood blog list, businesses, services, event listings, community groups, etc. that will provide a good overview of city living.
I'd be happy to suggest sites and resources according to your particular interest or curiosity. i will now get off my soapbox. - email anytime and welcome to Richmond! Mary Anne - maconmy@hotmail.com

Old 09-24-2007, 01:33 PM

19 posts, read 73,700 times
>Richmond is nothing special.

yeah Richmond is nothing special except for the fact that it is the oldest city in America (founded in 1676, but European settlers were there in 1609), was, along with Philly and Boston, the hub of the American Revolution, was the capital of the Confederacy, has its own culture in a that very few cities have (as in having an actual specific accent), is full of museums and art galleries, probably the best music scene of any town of comparable size, and is surrounded by endless beautiful Southern countryside. But yeah other than that, its nothing special.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 28,394 times
Richmond has many of the qualities that a person from Portland would love. I would suggest checking out the Fan district. You can walk to many restaurants, etc.
Culturally, there is much to take in: more galleries per capita than San Francisco, VCU brings in many distinguished visitors, the river is lovely, people (downtown) are very friendly, there are many trees & parks, eating out is a treat. Crime looks bad...but these are very isolated areas. I lived in the city for 14 years & have never been to any of these neighborhoods. You would not have to go anywhere near them; unless you want to buy illegal drugs! I have lived in 14 cities in every area of the country; Richmond is my favorite.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
I am trying to find a town call gumtree. need help

Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 AM

20 posts, read 71,393 times
Default Gumtree?

You may actually be looking for Gum Springs....small community between Richmond and Charlottesville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond