Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM

7 posts, read 18,921 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Richmond for one year for work. I will be primarily working out of the McGuire Veterans Affairs hospital. We do not have any kids or pets.

We have been looking for places to live. We have looked near downtown Richmond, but don't think we like that location based on price and type of places. People have recommended slightly west of downtown but we also don't like the Loft/Factory look.

We have been looking west of the Veterans Affairs hospital as we know the area around it isn't the safest. It doesn't look like there are too many apartment complexes just west of Powhite Parkway, but if we were to find some, what are your thoughts on that location.

The location we have been looking the most is just north of I-64 in the Henrico area. How is that area? And what would the commute to the Veterans Affairs hospital be like in terms of time and TRAFFIC? For us, the price seems to be reasonable in that area but we are of course concerned about safety. We don't feel the need to be very close to the nightlife.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 07:48 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
There are some apartments on the Route 10 corridor close to both I95 and I295. It will put you at exit 61 on I95 and McGuire is Exit 69. Three come to mind... one is Rivermont Station (Rivermont Station), one is River's Bend Apartments (Rivers Bend Apartment Homes Apartments Chester, VA - Apartments for Rent in Chester Virginia) and one other. It is newer and for the life of me I cannot remember the name. The downside to that one is it is beside some railroad tracks - might get a little noisy!

Not sure what you will be doing at McGuire, but thanks for working with our veterans. My hubby is retired Army and that could be him one day.

Hope the apartment information helps.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:59 AM

631 posts, read 1,290,320 times
pfffft. you'll only be here a year - why not live in a place you wouldn't normally? whats wrong with the factory look anyway. a lot of the apartments in those buildings are very nice (and new)

and north of i64 in west henrico is called "glen allen", it's the "nicest" part of richmond. very safe, very expensive. the commute from glen allen to your job would probably be about 40 minutes with no traffic (traffic isn't a problem in richmond at all)

Old 04-01-2010, 09:05 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,957 times
If I were you I'd find a house to rent in the Westover Hills or Forest Hill neighborhoods. They are relatively safe (especially Westover Hills), and have great park access. That'd put you about 5-10 minutes from work.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:28 PM

7 posts, read 18,921 times
Thanks for the replies.

I thought anything south of the James river and East of Powhite wasn't the best of areas.

We've thought about the lofts, but its just not us. They sound great, but they are more expensive than we want to pay.

I think we really need to take a trip when we can and check out some of these places. It's nice to hear that there really isn't any traffic.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:39 AM

370 posts, read 1,009,957 times
Just South of the James starting at Woodland Heights and heading west are some very nice, older and established neighborhoods. You don't want to go but so far south, say to Midlothian Turnpike or Hull Street but anything just off Forest Hill Avenue and Semmes and to the North and you shouldn't have many worries. I live in the Stratford Hills neighborhood which is right at Powhite and Forest Hill Avenue. Good location as far as City accessibility and nearby shopping are concerned.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:54 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,148,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevthoki View Post
There are some apartments on the Route 10 corridor close to both I95 and I295. It will put you at exit 61 on I95 and McGuire is Exit 69. Three come to mind... one is Rivermont Station (Rivermont Station), one is River's Bend Apartments (Rivers Bend Apartment Homes Apartments Chester, VA - Apartments for Rent in Chester Virginia) and one other. It is newer and for the life of me I cannot remember the name. The downside to that one is it is beside some railroad tracks - might get a little noisy!

Not sure what you will be doing at McGuire, but thanks for working with our veterans. My hubby is retired Army and that could be him one day.

Hope the apartment information helps.
Just drove by the other apartments today. They are called White Oak Luxury Apartment Homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond