Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 08:50 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,896,235 times

Advertisements

As a non African-American who grew up in Virginia, I learned a lot about the civil war in this state. I never learned anything about Black History. The topic was never discussed in those segregated days of the 1960's. As I grew older I found out for myself there were millions of African-Americans who came through Virginia and traded like animals, and our Virginia history books never thought this was a relevant subject? It was one of the worse chapters of human cruelty in the history of the world. A friend of mine from France came to visit me in the '80s and while visiting Jamestown he wanted to learn more about Black slavery and I was embarassed to tell him there was no mention of it. I believe we need a Black Slavery museum in VA to really educate our people on what really happened here. I believe there was one proposed in Fredericksburg. Anyway, I believe we have to put this whole story in perspective and move away from that dark time in Virginias' history. A civil war history month perhaps but NOT a confederate history month! Its too
divisive for our people at this time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:31 AM

2 posts, read 3,199 times
I wish we had CHM here. But we have our problems with the "new" type of slavery which the "other side" promotes under the guise of "caring and compassion" when it's nothing more than about the votes. Best thing VA did was elect Bob McDonnell as Governor. Just as they did Christie in N.J.

And just because celebrating one's long and storied, (albeit, somewhat skewed) history does not make one a "redneck". Being PC is what has gotten our country in the mess it is now. Afterall, we celebrate all kinds of "months". Heck, we even celebrate Cinco De Mayo more so than they do south of the border.

I guess EVERYBODY has to have their "cause".......except for those of us who UNDERSTAND and appreciate the history of our (once?) great country. We want our country BACK!!
http://houstontps.org/

What? No "tea and crumpets"....heh...

Carry on to the Great State of Virginia.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:22 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,709,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
As a non African-American who grew up in Virginia, I learned a lot about the civil war in this state. I never learned anything about Black History. The topic was never discussed in those segregated days of the 1960's. As I grew older I found out for myself there were millions of African-Americans who came through Virginia and traded like animals, and our Virginia history books never thought this was a relevant subject? It was one of the worse chapters of human cruelty in the history of the world. A friend of mine from France came to visit me in the '80s and while visiting Jamestown he wanted to learn more about Black slavery and I was embarassed to tell him there was no mention of it. I believe we need a Black Slavery museum in VA to really educate our people on what really happened here. I believe there was one proposed in Fredericksburg. Anyway, I believe we have to put this whole story in perspective and move away from that dark time in Virginias' history. A civil war history month perhaps but NOT a confederate history month! Its too

There is a black museum downtown but your post is a great example of their usefulness. No one knows about it. It's important to know your black history and that African ancestors were right there helping build America just as much as the other Europeans were.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:31 PM

68 posts, read 118,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Where is my Native American museum? As if the slap in the face to find out that VCU has a paved parking lot over a former slave burial ground.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/13232157/...edirected=true

Last edited by frank90; 04-22-2011 at 09:59 PM..

Old 04-23-2011, 07:28 PM

834 posts, read 2,281,187 times
Trying to answer the original question why Richmond is overlooked by people moving from up north.....
I know coming from my family and friends, it's very simple. People don't think Virginia is quite south enough. They want someplace warmer. I know for a lot of people, Raleigh, NC is the furthest north they would consider. They wanted some place that rarely got snow.
While Richmond doesn't exactly get a lot of snow compared to the northeast and midwest, it does get a lot of snow for the south. So weather is a big factor.

Plus a lot of times it's the "lemmings" factor. People follow where other people go. It's not that one area is necessarily better than another, but that they just go to whatever is the new up and coming place.

I say when comparing what is in the city limits, I do think that Raleigh is a nicer capital than Richmond. Not overwhelmingly nicer, but marginally better.
As for comparing the metro area of Richmond versus Raleigh or Charlotte, I do NOT think they are better than Richmond. None have major sports teams. Raleigh is all about college basketball. Taxes in North Carolina are WORSE than Virginia. I looked extensively at Charlotte, Richmond and Raleigh suburbs and Richmond suburbs are far cheaper.
Richmond is far closer to the beach than either Charlotte or Raleigh. It has way better shopping.

So honestly, I think whoever mentioned the view coming down 95 made a good point as to why it's overlooked. People driving down south to look for a place to move would drive through Richmond on 95 and think yuck. When really it's just a bad view. Not at all indicative of the city itself.

I do see the city as a diamond in the rough and I do think it has a lot of room for improvement. As for Civil War history, there is a difference between remembering history and clinging to it. I've found the average Richmonder isn't as obsessed with Civil War history as one would think. It seems to be a small group of old timers who would just clutch their chests at the thought of easing up on the Civil War.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
There is a black museum downtown but your post is a great example of their usefulness. No one knows about it. It's important to know your black history and that African ancestors were right there helping build America just as much as the other Europeans were.
No one knows about the Black HISTORY museum because its teeny-tiny in a residential neighborhood. Much worse location than the museum of the confederacy nor as pretty as monument ave's ode to the confederacy (and Arthur Ashe). Black history and slavery is always an afterthought around here. One of my visiting friends said a statement that still resonates. He said "This is bizarre. I wonder if Berlin has this many monuments to the Nazis?"

Old 04-24-2011, 04:36 PM

106 posts, read 263,633 times
Because Charlotte & Atlanta have a better night life, its a more exciting city with exciting people, choosing richmond over charlotte & atlanta are foolish decisions, im pretty sure you make more money in those cities aswell then you would in richmond, i know charlotte you do, what attractions do you hear about richmond? none, but you hear everything about charlotte & ATL, if i was fromt he north migrating south i wouldnt know what richmond is and wouldnt even consider it, plus its the capital of the confederacy i dont wanna be around that

Old 04-24-2011, 09:42 PM

247 posts, read 499,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
Because Charlotte & Atlanta have a better night life, its a more exciting city with exciting people, choosing richmond over charlotte & atlanta are foolish decisions, im pretty sure you make more money in those cities aswell then you would in richmond, i know charlotte you do, what attractions do you hear about richmond? none, but you hear everything about charlotte & ATL, if i was fromt he north migrating south i wouldnt know what richmond is and wouldnt even consider it, plus its the capital of the confederacy i dont wanna be around that

Whats wrong with the capitol of confederacy?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:38 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,270,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkayx333 View Post
Whats wrong with the capitol of confederacy?
They fought for slavery (yeah, yeah, and some other stuff too). Also, they lost. No one wants to be capitol of the losers. Still love Richmond, but for soo many other reasons.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:19 PM

1,799 posts, read 6,323,155 times
Other than the SCV, who is fixated on this stuff? Nobody I know... it's a tourist attraction thing now, like Gettysburg. Monument Avenue is a nationally recognized beautiful boulevard. Again, other than the SCV, nobody worships the statues.

Monument Ave is a snapshot of a time in Richmond's past. You can't look at it through a modern lens. Today, it's pretty to walk/drive down, but it's much more relevant today as a 10k race or Easter parade than a temple to the confederacy. Lots of people are focused on the things that make Richmond fun and unique like the river, the restaurant scene, the arts/music scene, farmer's markets and community gardens, etc. The Civil War is more of a sidenote and tourist attraction, as it should be.

Regarding the Black History Museum... For decades Richmond has been a "black city" with a predominately black leadership... where's the black community's pride in their incredibly rich local history? From Henry Box Brown to Maggie Walker to Bojangles to the sit in at Thalhimer's... to the first Black governor in the nation... Richmond's black community accomplished great things. Why was the Harlem of the South left to rot only now to finally see new life in the way of the Hippodrome and other projects? Why the fixation on slavery and slave burial grounds and slave trails and so little interest in all the post Civil War history? There's so much more to the black story in Richmond than enslaved ancestors. Where's the balance in telling the story? If there was a movement to enhance the Black History Museum and give it the prominence it deserves, I'd gladly support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond