Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 01:42 PM

12 posts, read 31,134 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My Wife and I are looking to get out of Oklahoma for many reasons. First and formost is that our 16 month old has some serious allergy and asthma issues. We are actually sitting in his hospital room now for the second time in 6 weeks. So let me ask some questions and see where it leads.
A little about us. I am a 30 Year old who has worked as a Police/Fire and EMS dispatcher and Hospital Security Officer. My wife is 29 and an Interventional Radiology Tech. I have a 4 year old Daughter and my 16 month old son.

1. How bad are allergens there. I have seen a website that said its better than Oklahoma City and another that said its the worst in the south. I know that springtime is hard everywhere but it is absolutly horrible here. He cant even go outside.

2. We are looking at Henrico and Hanover Counties. Definatly not inside city of Richmond. We are really suburbs people. Somewhere near Mechanicsville maybe. My wife an Interventional Radiology Tech so close to a large hospital would be great. Her commute now is 20 miles and it takes her 30 minutes each way in traffic. Is this possible with commute times?? 30 Minutes or less wouldnt be an issue.We looked at other places but commute times were over an hour.

3. I have been looking at Schools and Henrico and Hanover both look great. Any Advice or info??

4. We have lived on the east coast before (Lancaster, PA and Durham, NC) And I am originally from Upstate NY, so I know there is tons to do and it has so much more than Oklahoma. What great family things can you tell me about to get my wife more interested.

5. Houses. We are actually wanting to get a townhome. I have looked at some nice ones. We dont want to buy until we have been there a while and see exactly where we want to live. Any nice townhomes or 3 bedroom apartments in safe, Family Friendly Areas??

6. How are the seasons there?? Here in Oklahoma there is Summer (90-115 degrees) and winter (10-35 degrees) I think there were 8 days of spring this year. Also the wind here is driving me crazy. A normal day here sees 15-25 mph winds. What is it like there?? We have ice storms here every year. Most people lose power for a week or 2 because of them. Tell me about that and snow if you could.

If you can think of anything else please let us know. Any information would be greatly appreciated. You could even email me if you want. Rescue_company_one@yahoo.com

Thank you in Advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,707,805 times
1. The counts can get high here. Usually it depends on the person though I don't think there is any other real way to measure reactions to it. Some of my family wake up sneezing and get watery eyes every morning yet I have allergies and asthma also and I feel fine for the most part.

2. The large hospitals are closer to the city, you won't find any in Mechanicsville, as you said it is a suburban area..

3. Avoid Highland Springs and Varina areas when it comes to schools you should be all set.

4. Well if you're into history there is tons to do.. there are parks, museums, the james river and more historic stuff..

5. I strongly suggest visiting apartments in person AND reading online reviews when renting here.

6. We get all four seasons. At the same time the weather can be random like 50 and raining one day and 98 and sunny the next. Summers can get hot and being an asthmatic myself it could be a problem but only if you're exposed to it for a while (like doing yard work) otherwise that's what a/c and water is for. Winter is usually mild during the day. We don't get that much snow but every other year or so we do get occasional 'blizzards' I'm sure you recall the infamous Snowmageddon.

That's my view. I'm sure someone will find something about it to dispute for whatever reason though.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:50 AM

8 posts, read 17,236 times
I can't imagine coming to the Southeast/mid-Atlantic region to avoid allergies. This part of the world is rife with allergens: oak pollen, ragweed, mold etc... and asthma is epidemic. To get relief from allergies you may want to look farther north.

As for living areas, it sounds like you are looking for the west end/short pump area. It is an urban sprawl area, mostly upscale. Lots of condo/townhome places and a 20-30 minute commute to MCV/VCU medical center. Midlothian is another area that fits the bill. It is in Chesterfield county and also has a 20-30 minute commute to dowtown but with a toll road. Either place has excellent schools.

As for the weather, you have lived in Durham before. It will be exactly the same with maybe a 1 degree difference towards the cooler. Summer is hot and muggy. Fall and spring are mild and beautiful. Winter is variable but usually not frigid (this winter was freakish with feet of snow).

Old 06-01-2010, 10:25 AM

12 posts, read 31,134 times
With regard to the allergies, My wife and I sat down and looked up everything we could about it. It seems that there are the same issues no matter where in the country you are. (A few exceptions we didnt like) The pollen scores this week are lower in Richmond then in Oklahoma City. We have realized that we are going to have to just move for good Jobs, Areas, Schools, Etc. and control the asthma and Allergies there.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 38,925 times
Good luck with everything, Im also in OKC and Im prepping now to move to the midlothian area. I will be there around 17 June in hopes to getting a home. OKC is okay but its time for me to move on.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,623 times
Smile Dear Oakie and Family

I am a native New Yorker and lived in PA,California,New York and Virginia
When u are considering your move why not try Locust Grove, Virginia?
The Elementary school is close by,there is a brand spanking new middle school being built,and the high school was a wonderful experience for my teen. Locust Grove while a private community has a 500 acre lake, horses,golf 2 pools, a community center, there are sports for the kids and the adults alike. There are so many organizations and people to meet! dining, 9 beaches and housing that goes from middle class to your 1/2 million variety, but they are all mixed together. Best of all you will feel safe here.The local church is non-denominational all are welcome and there are many activities for families of all ages the church building hosts. UVA-Charlottesville is about 45 minutes, but Culpeper Medical Center,Mary Washington are each about 15 miles away. Additionally there is Stafford Hospital brand new about 2 years ago, and within an hour is Potomac Hospital and Prince William County. Fire fighters and EMS are is demand in the area as well. Lake of The Woods has a voluteer fire department as well that is very efficient. As to the allergies, I am asmatic and most of the time an fine here. Crisp beautiful fall days and snowy winters can be found in Virginia but oh! Those beautiful Spring and Summer days at the beach are wonderful. Hope all goes well Jump on line and google Lake of The Woods, Virginia.

Last edited by barb pen; 06-03-2010 at 03:18 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond