Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 03:03 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,562 times

Advertisements

The traffic from Northern VA to Richmond is usally a nightmare. I take the trip on a regular basis and find it scenic but extremely difficult. It is usually bumper to bumper for the first 60 miles and then it is just heavy. Recently the 110 mile trip has taken me 3 hours.

Something needs to be done to add more lanes to Americas Main Street, Interstate 95. Anyone else hate driving I 95?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 03:12 PM

97 posts, read 616,336 times
Every Interstate in VA is like that, with I81 feeling left out so its trying hard to catch up. Complain, gripe, whatever makes you feel better but its not getting better anytime soon.

Why put 4 more lanes on your 10 lane highway when the main route to South Hampton Roads (HRBT) is 4 lanes and 64 to Richmond remains 4 lanes? They should give out Prozac with our vehicle registration every year!

Old 06-17-2007, 04:00 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,123 times
I have to agree with jballa. I have been making frequent trips to NOVA lately and 95 has been a breeze in comparison to the trip down 64 from Richmond to Yorktown!

Old 06-18-2007, 09:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Driving ANY Interstate highway in Virginia was always less than pleasurable for me. I 81 was my favorite of the lot, though it too has gotten very hectic with all of the truck traffic, often barrelling along on your 6 at 75 mph. I'm living in Colorado now and people here complain about the traffic on I 70, but they ain't seen nuthin if thay haven't driven I 95 or I 64 thru Virginia.

Many Blessings...Franco

Old 06-18-2007, 10:12 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
I have to agree with jballa. I have been making frequent trips to NOVA lately and 95 has been a breeze in comparison to the trip down 64 from Richmond to Yorktown!
i dont. not too long ago i spent 5 and a 1/2 hours on the road traveling from Alexandria to Chesapeake and i spent three and a 1/2 hours on I-95 not even going into Richmond. From 295 to Monitor Merrimac to Rt 58 was cake except a little traffic around Ft. Eustis.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:31 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,683,200 times
I have to drive from Fairfax County to Richmond on Saturday mornings a couple times each summer. It is brutal with the beach and vacation travelers. Coming home there is usually a slow-down around Potomac Mills because of the shoppers. During the rest of the year I go occasionally, sometimes on weekdays, and don't find any problems but it's a reverse trip: going OUT of NoVA in the AM and INTO NoVA in the PM. If it was the opposite, yikes!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
i dont. not too long ago i spent 5 and a 1/2 hours on the road traveling from Alexandria to Chesapeake and i spent three and a 1/2 hours on I-95 not even going into Richmond. From 295 to Monitor Merrimac to Rt 58 was cake except a little traffic around Ft. Eustis.
Not too long ago would mean once in a while I assume, it took 3.5 hours for you to go from Alexandria to Richmond avg. of 30 mph. Consider going into a city, and driving from a city would matter the time of day as well so I'd guess that it was morning when you made the trip, but maybe not.

.... so, "not to long ago", it took me 2.25 hours to go 24 miles from Va Beach to Hampton @ an avg. of 11 mph. A good day across the HBRT from Hampton to Va Beach is an avg. of 24 mph so mathmatically, you draw the conclussion.

Regardless, I'm still down for the free Prozac w/ vehicle registrations.

Last edited by jballa; 06-18-2007 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa View Post
Not too long ago would mean once in a while I assume, it took 3.5 hours for you to go from Alexandria to Richmond avg. of 30 mph. Consider going into a city, and driving from a city would matter the time of day as well so I'd guess that it was morning when you made the trip, but maybe not.

.... so, "not to long ago", it took me 2.25 hours to go 24 miles from Va Beach to Hampton @ an avg. of 11 mph. A good day across the HBRT from Hampton to Va Beach is an avg. of 24 mph so mathmatically, you draw the conclussion.

Regardless, I'm still down for the free Prozac w/ vehicle registrations.
of course it took you longer. you went through the HR tunnel, not the Monitor-Merrimac, HR tunnel's traffic ain't a secret to no one. and from alexandria to tunnel the traffic was maybe 10 miles an hour and i left alexandria at 1:30 pm in the summer. Delays started right before i got off 395 and onto 95.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
of course it took you longer. you went through the HR tunnel, not the Monitor-Merrimac, HR tunnel's traffic ain't a secret to no one. and from alexandria to tunnel the traffic was maybe 10 miles an hour and i left alexandria at 1:30 pm in the summer. Delays started right before i got off 395 and onto 95.
Look, I'm not trying to argue about sitting in traffic longer... You don't know where I live and what's most convienent but obviously you're never wrong so maybe I should just go 20 miles out of my way to go the MMBT.

Relax, GEEZ. You can tell you're live near DC b/c you want to argue about everything.

My point was that 4 lanes is less than 10 lanes. I can't wait to hear you're arguement with that!

Old 06-19-2007, 11:30 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,378 times
I'm really surprised I-81 has traffic, you must have an odd definition.
I-81 is out in the country, it is not a commuter road.
I'd like to hear more details.

As for I-95, on a typical commuter day how far does the traffic go/when does it become rural?

If on a weekend I want to go the Outer Banks, am I going to be in for horrible traffic, or is it still drivable at highway speeds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond