Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,887,712 times

Advertisements

AT LAST!!! Probably the biggest economic development proposal Railroad Capitol Roanoke has ever seen!
When I heard a "Republican" governor from NoVa actually sees some potential for economic development in Roanoke I was flabergasted! I guess all of those Malfunction Junctions the state spends so much money on
in NoVa makes one think what is this guy smoking? I have even heard some talk of less strict penalties on
marijuana in this state? What is this state coming to? Could it be gay marriage is on the horizon in VA? Not!
Well, anyway Gov McDonnell thank you for throwing us a few slices of bread!McDonnell details funding Roanoke passenger rail, proposes I-81 bridge work in NRV - Roanoke.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 AM

334 posts, read 867,184 times
Another money loosing boondoggle.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM

596 posts, read 937,208 times
McDonnel is a tax increasing liberal. RedState.com has a good post about him today.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM

134 posts, read 331,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Another money loosing boondoggle.
If it happens, it will likely be an extension of the Northeast Regional that operates at a profit, in a state where people will ride the rails to avoid driving into NoVA.

Someone following the Roanoke expansion may be able to verify, but I believe there has also been enough ridership on the bus from [Blacksburg to] Roanoke to Lynchburg to support its potential, too.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springgrl View Post
If it happens, it will likely be an extension of the Northeast Regional that operates at a profit, in a state where people will ride the rails to avoid driving into NoVA.

Someone following the Roanoke expansion may be able to verify, but I believe there has also been enough ridership on the bus from [Blacksburg to] Roanoke to Lynchburg to support its potential, too.
if Northeast Regional operates at a profit, why does the government need to get involved and extend it using taxpayer money? They need to finance it with some of their profits if there is no doubt it will be profitable to do it. Something doesn't jive.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 PM

Passenger rail travel is the number one economic push by Roanoke political reps, republican or democrat. They
see a need for the increased tax revenue passenger rail will bring to Roanoke in the form of business expansion and tourism. Even our state republican leaders, including Gov McDonnell wants government to work with Amtrak to make rail possible. I believe there is finally an agreement for the extension to Roanoke in the new
transportation bill and it is hoped within 3 years it will become a reality!

Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Passenger rail travel is the number one economic push by Roanoke political reps, republican or democrat. They
see a need for the increased tax revenue passenger rail will bring to Roanoke in the form of business expansion and tourism. Even our state republican leaders, including Gov McDonnell wants government to work with Amtrak to make rail possible. I believe there is finally an agreement for the extension to Roanoke in the new
there is no demand for this. I like Roanoke a lot but this isn't something taxpayers should be forced to fund.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:05 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Sometimes, we should be careful about what we wish for. I am afraid that the added cost for upgrades in Roanoke and along the corridor might make this route a real net loser for the state if pushed too aggressively. Currently, the set-up is ideal; while there were improvements needed at the Lynchburg station for overnight accommodations, the old Crescent corridor is more than up for the speed and added traffic. Lynchburg is currently adding a couple of additional parking lots as part of their multi-modal expansion. Now, as usual, the "me too" sentiment in Roanoke will make the infrastructure investment in Lynchburg no more than a waste and will add some serious development costs to the route. It is too bad that the state doesn't build up a reserve to help develop the Bristol to Richmond corridor, which wouldn't require investment in overnight facilities in Roanoke. The original purpose behind the Lynchburg terminus was due to the fact that there are no turning facilities in Charlottesville, where a substantial number of riders board daily. I hope that McDonnell doesn't end up scuttling the entire route due to this "me too" attitude. If the whole TDX system ever gets developed, the overnights in Roanoke will end and the money spent from this budget will be unnecessary.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:08 PM

895 posts, read 2,095,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springgrl View Post

A 52 passenger bus isn't going to prove much. Next, the officials in Roanoke will lobby for a later departure to accommodate pleasure travelers, but limiting the real value of the train as a business tool. Maybe the state should look at a light DMU operation from Blacksburg to Lynchburg and back on a daily basis.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM

Transportation is an important issue that must be addressed in this state. It has been ignored for too long. If one drives on I-81 it is obvious more lanes need to be added between Blacksburg-Buchanan. This was proposed 20 years ago!! On the "Me Too" comment, the Train is Roanokes' heart and soul. I don't think others
who live elsewhere can relate to the personal connection that exists here on rail travel. We have passenger rail service already in the form of weekend excursions which Amtrak brings to town during the Fall and Summer. I believe over 2000 people come here, spend money downtown, stay at Hotel Roanoke, etc. That is tax money that goes back into the local economy. To me, that is called economic development. There is now a SmartWay bus which brings tons of VT students to Roanoke who would likely board a train to DC, a place where many live. Can you imagine not having them on I-81? I believe tourism will be boosted by a greater
visability of Roanoke from Northern Virginians who would find it convenient to ride the train to Roanoke. I don't know anyone here, including the republican Governor who doesn't understand the connection. I don't think it has anything to do with Lynchburgs' improvements to Kemper or the fact Lynchburg has always been an important train route. When Norfolk & Western had passenger rail routes from Roanoke, one could go to Washington, Chicago, Norfolk, Tennessee. The route structure was awesome. If you visit the Link Museum the original route map is displayed. Lynchburg was served by Southern Rwy and N&W btw.

I am confused by what train the state is talking about bringing to Roanoke. I am thinking it is the TDX, which will eventually go to Bristol. I understand Tennessee is looking at this proposal for rail. I am sure there are a lot of logistics yet to be finalized before Roanoke sees passenger rail to DC. I would like to see Amtrak look at their schedules overall and bring back the route they had from Cincinnati to Norfolk or if someone boards at Roanoke, change trains at Lynchburg with service to DC. At least Roanoke would have its train connection at last!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area