Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 4,145 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I was driving through VA and just before hitting Tennesee in Smyth county on a cross country trip on I-81 I was caught Wreckless driving 21mph over the speed limit and went to Jail. I got bailed out by a friend, and now I have to travel from Nevada to Marion VA for a court date mid june. I am unemployed and not sure how I can come up with the $650 plane ticket.

I will be calling the court soon, although I'm hoping to see if you guys have any pointers (obviously no more speeding). Currently since being unemployed with no sort of income and just paid for my college i have zero dollars to my name. Is there a way I can get a public defender? If so does anyone know how I can get one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:21 PM

363 posts, read 558,349 times
Maybe look up public defenders in that area? Doing 21 over on 81 is a no no anywhere in Va, but especially in far SWVA. Can I ask why you were going so fast? Especially with the truck traffic I don't see how you could get to 21 over without hitting trucks or the usual commuter traffic. (At least in Roanoke) You will have to pay it I would think.. One way or another.. If not now, sometime in the future.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
Maybe look up public defenders in that area? Doing 21 over on 81 is a no no anywhere in Va, but especially in far SWVA. Can I ask why you were going so fast? Especially with the truck traffic I don't see how you could get to 21 over without hitting trucks or the usual commuter traffic. (At least in Roanoke) You will have to pay it I would think.. One way or another.. If not now, sometime in the future.
There was no car in sight for at least a mile. This was very very early in the morning. It's no excuse but where I'm originally from in Southwest, CT/NYC area everyone drives as fast as they can, i picked up a bad habit. I was doing 65 the whole 10 hour drive until that 1 time too! ugh, it's quite a nightmare, and trust me i learned my lesson. I've never went to jail or had any criminal record before this. $1000 bail in cash + whatever crazy fine i'm going to have + crazy expenses to get there. I'm likely going to sell my car because of this violation. In VA Reckless is 20 over the posted limit which is kind of ridiculous, everywhere else is 35. I was not a danger to anyone on that road.

Last edited by Jzing; 04-21-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM

363 posts, read 558,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzing View Post
There was no car in sight for at least a mile. This was very very early in the morning. It's no excuse but where I'm originally from in Southwest, CT/NYC area everyone drives as fast as they can, i picked up a bad habit. I was doing 65 the whole 10 hour drive until that 1 time too! ugh, it's quite a nightmare, and trust me i learned my lesson. I've never went to jail or had any criminal record before this. $1000 bail in cash + whatever crazy fine i'm going to have + crazy expenses to get there. I'm likely going to sell my car because of this violation. In VA Reckless is 20 over the posted limit which is kind of ridiculous, everywhere else is 35. I was not a danger to anyone on that road.
People go over the limit alot in the more populated areas of VA.. Richmond, Roanoke, NOVA etc, but you did it in a low density area that makes a lot of money off those violations. I would try to look up some public defenders before doing anything rash such as selling you car.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam4vt View Post
People go over the limit alot in the more populated areas of VA.. Richmond, Roanoke, NOVA etc, but you did it in a low density area that makes a lot of money off those violations. I would try to look up some public defenders before doing anything rash such as selling you car.
The problem is i don't have any money to even get to the court date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area