Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 07:25 PM

9 posts, read 9,843 times

Advertisements

Hello. I currently live in California, but the cost of living/owning a home is just way too high for me.
I have researched many areas, but I keep coming back to Roanoke, because it is affordable, and is a beautiful area, and seems to have lots of organic farms/farmers markets, which is important to me.
I am hoping to find out as much as I can, and planning on visiting early next year.

I am in my late 50's and I am partially disabled. So my first question is how is medical care in Roanoke? Are there doctors who accept Medicare, or are there waiting lists?

If I had to label myself, I would be liberal/progressive. My son is gay, and while I have no idea what his plans are when he graduates, I really hope to live in an area where he will be welcomed and accepted, if he ever needed to come back home. Would I/we fit in Roanoke?!?

I also wanted to know if Roanoke/surrounding areas are facing any drought/problems for Roanoke or wells in outlying areas?? (Definitely scary here in CA). Any environmental issues in the area that might impact life there (like fracking)?

Also, are there local theater companies/live theater in Roanoke?

Thanks in advance,

ktdid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 09:01 PM

94 posts, read 155,114 times
Roanoke is a good fit for you and your son, you would be welcome! I just met a lady who moved here from Cali and she loves it.

Plenty of water, no one is worried about droughts. Roanoke is a regional medical center, Medicare is ok.

Housing is affordable. When you visit stay at Hotel Roanoke and enjoy Mill Mountain Theatre, Showtimers, Star City Playhouse,

Jefferson Center, Roanoke Performing Arts Center, Berg Lund Center, Roanoke Symphony, Taub man Museum of Art.

I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:16 AM

2,283 posts, read 4,077,510 times
Some great thoughts from Mountain Living! I will chime in from my point of view!

AFFORDABLE? Yes! BEAUTIFUL AREA? Yes Yes!!

FARMERS MARKETS? ORGANIC? Bring 'em on - lots of great options. Though of course produce a bit more seasonal here than in SoCal!

LEAP - Building stronger communities through sustainable agriculture.
FarmRoanoke.com | Heritage Point Farm Store

MEDICAL? Roanoke is a major regional medical center with two large hospitals and a new medical school. I can't speak specifically to Medicare acceptance but I can't imagine it would be a problem.

PROGRESSIVE/GAY-FRIENDLY? Roanoke is definitely a "purple" area - if you live in the upper-income suburbs, it will seem pretty "red" and if you live in the close-in areas - like downtown, Raleigh Court or Old Southwest - it will seem pretty "blue" and you would have much greater opportunity to hang out with folks with a more urban/progressive way of life. Definitely gay friendly, especially depending on where you are.

Home

ENVIRONMENTAL? The big thing right now is controversy over a long natural gas pipeline that most areas are not really excited about. No drought issues.

Proposed natural gas pipeline through Southern Virginia changes course | Local News - WDBJ7.com Central and Southwest VA

THEATER? Great options. Mill Mountain Theater is the professional theater, and there are community theater options as well.

Mill Mountain Theatre
Home - Showtimers
Star City Playhouse | Live in Roanoke, theater since 1994
Roanoke Children’s Theatre

NEGATIVES? Some people definitely prefer rural/small town life and some people definitely prefer major metro - but otherwise I think it is a nice size metro area. Four seasons are very appealing to me, but folks who like Florida will think it is too cold in the winter. (wimps)

Plan your visit - and I think chances are greater than 50/50 that you'll be a Roanoker one day! (We started researching Roanoke about 10 years ago - and finally made the move last year - from Texas - hope it won't take you that long.)

Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 9,843 times
Thank you Watchful and Mountain Living for taking the time to respond--and with positive and very useful info and links as well ;- )
With your responses, it seems like Roanoke might really be a good match. It will be hard for me to be far from all my kids but I need to balance quality of life issues as well, and Roanoke seems like it just might hold some answers for me/us.

Again, my thanks,

ktdid

Old 11-24-2014, 08:55 AM

2,283 posts, read 4,077,510 times
ktdid - check your inbox for a direct message. Some thoughts about a place to stay when you visit.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:57 PM

90 posts, read 217,714 times
You should be good.
Great responses.

I was in San Diego for two years.

You will miss the high quality and cheap produce found in Cali.
Really expensive here.
Limited geographical diversity.
But the App. Mtns are good to go.

But you are on the right track with the farmers market.

Rke actually is damn near perfect for a mix of everything.

Also look into Floyd. She is south of us.

We had a bad drought in 1999 and 2000. Other than that, no worries.

Spring and fall are very flexibile.

It was 70 degress F. today.
It might snow Wed.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:00 PM

90 posts, read 217,714 times
Hurry up and visit.

More and more folks are moving into the downtown area. Get here before the prices go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: