Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 05:59 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,723 times

Advertisements

I've dreamed of moving there as I once lived there a long time ago. But I would guess a lot has changed since then.

If anyone who lives there would care to fill me in on how expensive it's gotten or whether new people have moved in or whether it's the same as it was - I'd like hearing your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 07:58 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,327 times
Ahhhh... a topic that is near and dear to me. How much time do you have to talk about Roanoke, because I can ramble a bit. I grew up about 90 miles sw of that area and lived there for a few years before moving to Atlanta. At the time, I was in my early 20's and thought I wanted a bigger, more exciting city. Atlanta seemed the perfect fit with its great job market and vibrant atmosphere. Not to mention that I am/ was a skyscraper geek.
Let me first give you a little history of that region. Roanoke was and still is to an extent a town that is based around a few types of industries. The area is the regional center for healthchare, which is a good business to be in there. Aside from healthcare, a large percentage of jobs were related to transportation and industrial / manufacturing operations. Roanoke has had a very different approach to growth and development. Normally, big and ambitious plans have been shot down due to the "not in my back yard" mentality. Probably the most notable event that altered the history of Roanoke was decades ago when an airline, Eastern, I believe wanted to place a hub or hq in the region. Well, many people fought long and hard to prevent that and succeeded. The hub went on to Greensboro, then Charlotte and subsequently became US Air. The rest is history, I suppose. Currently, there is a very big issue in regards to a proposed interstate that would run along an existing corridor, not creating a tremendous amound of damage to the area. Well, leave it up to the NIMBY's to find some plant or flower that noone has ever known or cared about in an attempt to show how this will endanger some indiginous plant life. This still has a chance of working, though.
Fortunately, Roanoke seems to be turning the corner. Development and growth still aren't occuring at rapid speed, but some things are happening that could create a solid example for future growth. The two or three most noticeable developments that could have the greatest overall impact are related to art and healthcare. The Western Va Art museum (pardon me if I got the name wrong, I don't particularly care for art, but do recognize its place in a city) is building this really innovative replacement for its former location. The architecture alone for this project will draw much attention to the area. Also, there is a biomedical (or bio-something) development near downtown that is ultimately poised to generate around 300-400 million in development for the city. That is a big deal for Roanoke. Just recently, plans have been announced for a major medical school, which will be a joint venture between Carilion and Va Tech, to be located somewhere in the city. I don't have all the facts on that, but most agree that it should be a huge victory for the area. The area has had difficulty parting with the past, but I believe that it was symbolic when they finally decided to tear down Victory Stadium. It was an old, decrepit facility that didn't get much use anymore. IT was a very significant part of the history of the city, but they now hope to use that land for some sort of public space.
Now, if you are still reading this novel of a post, I will speak about Roanoke in today's perspective. Remember that when I speak about Roanoke, I speak about the city and county, but they are two separate entities. Roanoke, by southern standards is pretty dense and urban.
Downtown is an absolute jewel. You can get a cheap parking space near the market and spend a day wandering around. Some of the downtown attractions include Mill Mountain Theatre, Center in the Square (Museum), Science Museum, Art Museum, This really neat international food court (gosh I miss that), quite a few local restaurants, and the transportation museum. All these things are very inexpensive and interesting. Within eyesight of most anywhere in the valley is Mill Mountain. Here you will find a zoo and some nature / recreation areas. Roanoke has some very neat neighborhoods... look into Grandin Road, Raleigh Court, SW Roanoke... someone else feel free to add. The county has areas that are still very convenient to downtown and have a nice warm appeal to them. In a nutshell, the thing I like about the area is that you can be in the city or country within minutes of one another. The area has a real sense of place as opposed to the big mass of endless sprawl that I'm in now.
People will tell you that crime is bad there, but I will beg to differ. I was a police officer in Roanoke County for 3 years. In the county crime will not spend much time on anyones list of concerns. The city does have some rougher neighborhoods, but I think that the stat stays right around 8 - 10 murders a year. Most of them are related to these particular areas and drugs are somewhere near. I would not be in great fear of random crime in most areas of the city.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:00 PM

Gosh, that was much longer than I intended. Please excuse the rambling post.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:40 PM

251 posts, read 1,142,723 times
Great post and thanks!! It's much as I remember it then.

Talk all you want to about Roanoke. I bet you've got lots of listeners!

I'm from Atlanta originally and the place I grew up in is now paved over so I do know exactly what you mean about that sprawling metropolis. Boring landscape in many ways - or at least in my opinion. I'm not big on pines and traffic.

If anyone hears of any computer companies or similar beginning to thrive in the Roanoke area though, please share some details of what you know!

Have job, will move!!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:44 AM

31 posts, read 143,986 times
I grew up in Roanoke but haven't lived there since I graduated high school in 1973. After college in Richmond, I was off to Chicago, San Francisco, New York and Los Angeles (where I've lived for the last 20 years).

My folks still live there and I go back to visit about twice a year. It's a beautiful little town, but way too slow for me (at least right now). I agree with Steven about the downtown area. It's a gem. I would love to have a largeellargelargeloft space to live in around the market. I have a friend in real estate and he's converted a number of buildings to residential.

I think perhaps some day I'll retire there.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:22 PM

81 posts, read 469,194 times
I haven't been there since the early 90s but it was a great place then for all of the reasons already stated. Back then there was an awsome flea market (I think it was on Williamson Rd). You could find just about anything there. I'm a blacksmith and I found implaments related to blacksmithing at the flea market that I had only read about before. In addition to tools there was always a lot of craft items and folk art for sale. I loved Roanoke.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 AM

61 posts, read 260,198 times
The hubby and I along with our teenaged son are planing on moving to Roanoke this Spring or possibly earlier. Actually, I am a country girl, but I do like being able to get to stores in 20 minutes or less and have cable TV, LOL! I'm hoping to live in an affordable rental (2 bedrooms) in the outskirts of Ronaoke, no longer than a 30 minute drive from the city. We love our pets and hope we can find pet friendly lanlords and good jobs once we get there. The plan is to have jobs already set up. We want to rent for a while to get a feel of the place before we decide to buy.

Please keep telling us about Roanoke, such as schools, public, private, is the place pet friendly, because I know East Tn isn't. How welcoming are they to newcomers? We aren't the richest of folks and we don't want to end up in a place where we are completely miserable like we are now. i can't wait to get out of here and get to VA!!!!

We decided on VA because it's in between GA (where my family live) and PA (where his family live), plus it's very important that my hubby see his Redskind on TV< LOL! We hope to make lots of friends, contribute and get involved in our new community, throw cool Christmas and Superbowl parties, hehe, and just build a nice little life.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:18 AM

Divalicious.....for starters... the redskins suck and are an embarassment to the city of D.C. (Haha... just kidding) I live in Ga now. Look at greatschools.net for test scores, school sizes, and other stats on the schools. Remember that you have Roanoke City, Roanoke County, and the City of Salem. All three are entirely separate entities. The most prestigious schools are probably in Roanoke County. There you have Cave Spring and Hidden Valley. IF you are into sports and being crazy about high school athletics, then Salem may be the place. If you want sort of country life, you would probably want to check out Glenvar or perhaps Northside. There is also William Byrd High School located in East County. I would personally have no problem placing my children in any of those school districts. There are two city schools.. .William Fleming and Patrick Henry. Those are not quite as desireable in my opinion as the county schools. They still aren't what I would call "bad" schools though. Roanoke is very animal friendly, most apartments will allow small animals and there are also many trails located in and around the public parks. I'm not exactly an animal person, so I couldn't tell you what exactly makes it pet friendly other than seeing many happy animal owners???? The place is very friendly and welcoming. You will find many opportunities to network and become involved in the community. It isn't all that transient of a place, but I think that most people with families would be very happy there. I would strongly suggest finding employment before you get there, as Roanoke doesn't exactly have a booming economy. THings are looking up though and I am keeping a close eye on the area as I would love to go back some day. We are looking to leave Atlanta within the next year or so and that is definitely on our radar as a hopeful place.

Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,470,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Brennus View Post
I haven't been there since the early 90s but it was a great place then for all of the reasons already stated. Back then there was an awsome flea market (I think it was on Williamson Rd). You could find just about anything there. I'm a blacksmith and I found implaments related to blacksmithing at the flea market that I had only read about before. In addition to tools there was always a lot of craft items and folk art for sale. I loved Roanoke.
Yes Happy's Flea Market on Williamson,I knew a merchant there. I think they may have closed actually or at least downsized when I was there last a couple of years ago. I also lived there in the 90s as well. Don't know if I'd go back to Roanoke itself being as I had already 'experienced the area' as much as I could. The weather was kind of cold with the winds coming over the mountains or whatever,I'd probably look at something further south,but Roanoke is an o.k area overall.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:21 PM

31 posts, read 143,986 times
Since I'm going back to Roanoke next month for a visit, I'll talk to my folks about what it's like as a local these days. They've been there for 47 years. Then I'll report back.

BTW, I was through Staunton (my birthplace) last year and I loved the small town feel there. It's very peaceful and quaint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area