Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,491,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellar View Post
Well I agree that we should all pretty well blend together by now. I have lived in the South for most of my adult life however, and I still catch flak from Southerners about being a Yankee. Up in the North (Syracuse) where I grew up, we never differentiate between Northerner/Southerner...I am an American and I wish everyone would just look at it that way. We have a beautiful country and it occurs to me that one of our freedoms is being able to move, travel, live throughout the whole nation...without harassment. Move a Virginian to Upstate NY (not NYC! they are a bit different there!) and they will be welcomed as any other...usually.
I love it here in Roanoke, great city, peaceful, low crime, light traffic, beautiful mountain views, central location to all on the East Coast...more people should move here.
By the way you might want to tweak your location slightly,it's 'Cave Spring' not 'Springs' I was constantly corrected about that when I lived down there That'll really give you away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 11:22 AM

19 posts, read 90,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
By the way you might want to tweak your location slightly,it's 'Cave Spring' not 'Springs' I was constantly corrected about that when I lived down there That'll really give you away
Nice catch! You're right...Hot Springs, Cool Springs, Warm Springs are not far away but this is Cave Spring!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellar View Post
Nice catch! You're right...Hot Springs, Cool Springs, Warm Springs are not far away but this is Cave Spring!
By the way Hot Springs is one of the Coldest places in the state

Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM

102 posts, read 527,519 times
The comments of Cellar and StuckPA bring some thoughts to mind. I'm from the South but currently living in Allentown, PA and moving to Roanoke next summer. We can't hardly say two words here without someone asking where we are from. I thought people would be negative about our accent but people seem to love it. They say things like I could listen to you talk all day and I'd rather hear you than all the transplants from NJ. Also hear things like you're so nice you must not be from here. Also things like they wish they could move south. Before we visited Roanoke, I didn't know if it would truly be southern. The fact that they served grits at the Hotel Roanoke made me know I was definitely in the South!

Old 10-22-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMomto3 View Post
I'm from the South but currently living in Allentown, PA and moving to Roanoke next summer. The fact that they served grits at the Hotel Roanoke made me know I was definitely in the South!
Wow I used to live in the Allentown area also and I have a friend that works at Hotel Roanoke! It's owned by Doubletree now,we used to work at the Marriott there.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:48 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,199,026 times
Actually the Virginia Tech Foundation owns Hotel Roanoke. They were given the property years ago and they reopened it in 1995. Doubletree operates the Hotel under an agreement with Tech since VT isn't in the business of running hotels. Norfolk Southern sold the hotel to Tech almost 20 years ago for $1 Then N/S gave 2 million to Tech's capital campaign to help re-open the hotel; the remodel cost over 5 million.

Sean

Old 10-23-2007, 06:43 AM

19 posts, read 90,848 times
seanpecor knows his local history, I moved here in 94 and sawn some of the renovations happening. VT students were involved. I have stayed there often, most recently my wife and I stayed there in August for our honeymoon. It is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed in. Doubletree does a great job. I used to work in the hotel industry as well. Worked at the Marriott Casa Marina Resort in Key West, the a Ramada resort and none of those trumps the service at HR.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:19 AM

1,341 posts, read 6,199,026 times
I love HR's Sunday brunch, which you can always enjoy even if you're not a guest at the hotel. The atmosphere is great, the food wonderful! The best time for brunch there is any Sunday whatsoever, but if you did it just once a year then do it during the Christmas tree display. If you haven't seen the Christmas tree decoration "competition" that is presented at HR, you should definitely pencil it in this holiday season. It sort of defies description.

Sean

Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 AM

We stayed at Hotel Roanoke in one of the newly renovated suites and it was awesome. The service was top notch. I wasn't there on a Sunday but heard about the brunch. Nice heads up on Christmastime. I'll have to remember that once we are moved. Sean, I thought I had replied to a previous post you responded to but I guess I messed up. I'm beginning to think Salem might be better for us than SW Roanoke County but we'll look at both and even check out the county you live in. There are just so many good choices in the area that it makes it hard! Nice problem to have.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Wow I used to live in the Allentown area also and I have a friend that works at Hotel Roanoke! It's owned by Doubletree now,we used to work at the Marriott there.
Small world. Where did you live in Allentown? We're west between Cetronia and Fogelsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area