Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:24 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,666,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanokers View Post
The mentality of us (the haves) versus them (the have nots)
this was what you wrote. It looks like you are referring to yourself as such by the way it was worded...us (the haves)

Quote:
Whoa, first off I am not a "have", although I do know a few. Another example of what I'm talking about: My wife has a friend who is a "have", and my wife was telling her that she wanted to purchase a "Save Darfur" T-shirt, because some of the proceeds go to help the refugees there. Her friend told her she was "crazy" to want to help the people who live there.
you know the old saying "with friends like these.... That's one "friend" I might consider losing immediately. And buy an extra "Save Darfur" shirt just for her.

Quote:
As far as not being able to see the racial and economic divisions in Roanoke, you probably aren't looking hard enough. Alot of it isn't really overt, but that doesn't mean it is not there.
No, you are correct, I'm not really looking for it. I am dealing with people on a case-by-case basis and not looking for things that aren't "really overt". When it becomes overt, that means that there is a real problem, as there is boldness and power in overtness. As long as someone is running around in a sheet, they don't really want to be seen and their cowardice is obvious, laughable, and easily overcome by goodness.

Quote:
There are definately places around this area where Black and Brown people are not welcome. Southwest county in my opinion is one of them, although their may be a few more outside of Roanoke. I look at that area as where all of the white people who don't want to live around black people move to.

When we were looking at houses we got the worst stares from people. One man stopped cutting his grass, crossed his arms, and stared at us the whole time we looking at a house in S.W. county. Similar things occured during our home search, so we decided to look elsewhere.
Maybe he was just curious about the prospective new neighbors? Some people in Franklin County might stare at you if you're not wearing overalls!

Quote:
North County is a little more diverse, but a lower median income range. Schools are good but not as good as S.W. so you can see that there is a trade off. Although we could afford S.W. not a very comfortable atmosphere for our family. Maybe you may not notice these things, but they do exist. When people belong to a privileged demographic group, they take their privlege for granted until is threatened.
"Diverse" is good. Lower median income isn't bad either. The city schools are probably fine. A lot of what goes on with a kid doing well in school directly relates to parental involvement. I say join whatever community looks good and do your best to add positively to it and revitalize it (and help to change attitudes, as the case may be).

So...where are you heading to if you leave Roanoke?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM

109 posts, read 397,923 times
Also what was racist about my statement? I don't believe that I said anything bad about White people. I told a few stories, about some of the experiences I had. Okay, I'll give you the bit about white people running to S.W. to get away from blacks, but I do think that is true. Its anecdotal at best, but not racist. People hold all kinds of views that are based on anecdotal evidence. They don't do a statistical regression analysis, to see if the variables coorelate. They see something happen a few times, and they make a determination about what they see.

In my hometown there was a section of the city of very affluent Asians who chose to live in the same area, because they probably didn't want to live near other races as well. Does pointing out what someone else is doing make me a racist?

I live in the same neighborhood with white people, blacks, asians, and hispanics. Am I a non racist because I live here, or determine that all people who live here are non racists because they live here? No

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
When it becomes overt, that means that there is a real problem, as there is boldness and power in overtness. As long as someone is running around in a sheet, they don't really want to be seen and their cowardice is obvious, laughable, and easily overcome by goodness.
First off, Kudos to your point by point analysis. I will attempt to return in like. So only overt problems are real...really. Well tell that to the depositors at Indy Mac Bank in California. Often once a problem becomes overt it is too late. Secondly, people don't need to hide behind sheets anymore, their corporate suits and McMansions work just fine.

Quote:
Maybe he was just curious about the prospective new neighbors? Some people in Franklin County might stare at you if you're not wearing overalls!
If I was curious I would come over and say "hello". Standing there for 20 minutes and starring is not curious. See, this is what I'm talking about people who belong to a privilidged group don't realize their priviledge. I don't fault you for it, just pointing it out.

As far as moving. A few places on the list, I'll go any where that is not small and backwards like here.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpecor View Post
Ugh. I've no doubt that you've experienced racism but your characterization that certain areas of Roanoke are racist strongholds is - in my opinion - flat out wrong. In fact looking back through your posts I must say that you seem to be guilty of your own form of racial or cultural xenophobia. I wish you the best in your journey to find a more tolerant place. Hopefully in that journey you learn to be a little more tolerant also.

Sean
Sean, buddy, look...there is a difference between being a racist strong hold, and living somewhere where most of the people don't want to live around other races. Do a google search on the term "White Flight" and you will understand what I mean.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:11 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,666,356 times
Quote:
First off, Kudos to your point by point analysis. I will attempt to return in like. So only overt problems are real...really. Well tell that to the depositors at Indy Mac Bank in California. Often once a problem becomes overt it is too late. Secondly, people don't need to hide behind sheets anymore, their corporate suits and McMansions work just fine.

If I was curious I would come over and say "hello". Standing there for 20 minutes and starring is not curious. See, this is what I'm talking about people who belong to a privilidged group don't realize their priviledge. I don't fault you for it, just pointing it out.

As far as moving. A few places on the list, I'll go any where that is not small and backwards like here.
I think Roanoke's problems and attiudes are not overt because they are not the common attitudes. There are waaaay more folks for diversity than there are against it. It sounds like you are choosing to concentrate on the small, sad pockets of people still living in a pre Civil-War mindset.
If you were curious, you might go over and say "hello". Well, he's not you. I wouldn't go over and introduce myself to the random folks streaming in and out of a for-sale home next door! But once you moved in, I'd come over and make nice. And if you are referring to me as "belonging to a priveledged [sp] group"? You are sadly mistaken. Even if I wanted to live there (which I don't), I couldn't afford a house in SW county!!

So where are the places on the short list?

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM

696 posts, read 1,431,913 times
Quote:
Sean, buddy, look...there is a difference between being a racist strong hold, and living somewhere where most of the people don't want to live around other races. Do a google search on the term "White Flight" and you will understand what I mean.
It's human nature for people to seek out similar people. That can be for malignant or benign reasons, and it can have both positive & negative consequences.

Good luck finding a place where covert racism doesn't exist. Even when it's unintentional, it's there. The idea, IMO, is to embrace those few instances where cultures manage to blend without becoming too diluted, rather than whinge about the instances where that hasn't happened yet. Be the change, and all that.

Good luck wherever you go.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I think Roanoke's problems and attiudes are not overt because they are not the common attitudes. There are waaaay more folks for diversity than there are against it. It sounds like you are choosing to concentrate on the small, sad pockets of people still living in a pre Civil-War mindset.
If you were curious, you might go over and say "hello". Well, he's not you. I wouldn't go over and introduce myself to the random folks streaming in and out of a for-sale home next door! But once you moved in, I'd come over and make nice. And if you are referring to me as "belonging to a priveledged [sp] group"? You are sadly mistaken. Even if I wanted to live there (which I don't), I couldn't afford a house in SW county!!

So where are the places on the short list?
Excuse my presumption...I just thought you lived there, because of the spirited defense of the area and its inhabitants.

Trying to find a place that fits my parameters is difficult: Left leaning, progressive, diverse, good jobs....does such a place even exist?

Old 07-24-2008, 08:13 PM

246 posts, read 783,609 times
Quote:
Left leaning, progressive, diverse, good jobs....does such a place even exist?
I think you've defined much of America...

Old 07-24-2008, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave View Post
I think you've defined much of America...
Maybe if I was a Republican, I'd feel that way, too. Some of my right-wing friends also beilieve that America is some sort of "liberal" paradise. Well take it from me, it is not.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 PM

246 posts, read 783,609 times
Quote:
Maybe if I was a Republican, I'd feel that way, too. Some of my right-wing friends also beilieve that America is some sort of "liberal" paradise. Well take it from me, it is not.
You're talking to a staunch Democrat here.

I think you are finding ways to make yourself unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area