Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2019, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 1,918 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm writing as a transgender woman who grew up in a very gay & transgender-saturated Northern metro area. I'm considering a move to Roanoke for many reasons once I graduate (cost of living, change of scenery, also my grandparents were originally from SWVA and I want to reconnect with that heritage.)
I've seen that there's a new LGBT library in Roanoke run by volunteers, which is very exciting...but I'm wondering what else there is for LGBT people. Are there bars, any nightlife, drag, etc.? Gays and lesbians and tran's in SWVA: How's the dating pool? Do you feel alone? And most importantly, Do you feel safe?

Appreciate all responses <3 Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2019, 11:45 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,675,137 times
This old thread might help you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/roano...servative.html

I'm not from Roanoke but have been looking into relocating there. From everything I read, it seems like a pretty balanced place. You're obviously in a more conservative area of the country but if you're in the city of Roanoke I'm sure you won't be bothered. You might get some looks every now and then, but that's bound to happen to any outsider or anyone who's "different" in some kind of way.

As long as you mind your business and don't bother anyone I'm sure you'll be perfectly safe.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:41 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
There is definitely a drag scene, with brunches and other regular events. The Roanoke Diversity Center just hosted a fundraiser - here is their fb page, you'll see many of my friends in the pics. Some Q, some allies. You didn't ask about health care but since you are transgender I'll add that Carilion Clinic offers transgender services.

All that being said, it will be a culture shock for anyone from a northern metro area. I am from DC and straight and this place is different than anyplace I've ever lived. But I have learned how to slow down a bit and realized that in the northeast I was in a cultural bubble as much as people who've never left SWVA are! I needed to have an open mind too. I absolutely love it here. Maybe coordinate a visit with an event and see what you think. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2019, 02:50 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
A couple more links for you: a 2015 WaPo article that gives the relevant dark history in Roanoke, and a story in Vice that I think is pretty great about a local gay bar having to diversify because their clientele is no longer limited to that spot.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,918 times
Thank you all for your responses Those articles are fantastic history, wow!

Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Thank you for initiating this thread. I'm a partnered younger gay male who has always been interested in Roanoke from afar. It reminds me a lot of my hometown area of Scranton, PA---only not as socioeconomically-challenged. I hope to visit Roanoke with my partner this year and spend at least several days exploring. I'm starting to tire of the rat-race of the big city (working 50+ hours per week just to make rent on a 1-BR apartment, for example), and it looks like Roanoke offers an exemplary quality-of-life with a reasonable cost-of-living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area