Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 09:26 PM

6 posts, read 15,205 times

Advertisements

Are there any stores that you are dying to come to the Roanoke area? There was a list of stores you could vote on once but I cannot remember where/who it was sponsored by, I am thinking the Roanoke Times. IKEA, and Build-A-Bear Workshop was on the list, and BABW came to Valley View Mall...

I would like an Urban Outfitters or American Apparel!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,794,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Subject View Post
Are there any stores that you are dying to come to the Roanoke area? There was a list of stores you could vote on once but I cannot remember where/who it was sponsored by, I am thinking the Roanoke Times. IKEA, and Build-A-Bear Workshop was on the list, and BABW came to Valley View Mall...

I would like an Urban Outfitters, too. Not so much American Apparel.
I'm not sure Roanoke has the demographics to support either, though.

If I had to guess Urban Outfitters, is targeted mainly towards college-aged (17-25) trendy/hipsterish types with a bit of disposable income to spare...they're usually found in college towns or areas that are generally affluent (Charlottesville, Richmond, and Tyson's Corner in VA)...sooo, as much as we may want them, I doubt UO will be in Roanoke for a while.

Along that same line of thought, I really would like to see Banana Republic in Roanoke, but again thats doubtful. BR has 14 (or 16) stores in VA but none in the Roanoke area.

Add to that list J. Crew (8 stores in VA, a dist. center in Lynchburg but no store in the area), Khols, and maybe 'factory outlet' stores for Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Ralph Lauren, Saks Fifth, Barneys NY, Levis etc.
Maybe an Ann Taylor for the ladies. Also H&M (but not one of the ones like in Richmond where 99% of the stuff is for females; I'd want one like you see in other locations that have a wide selection for guys).

I'd also like to see a Wegman's in the area and maybe a Whole Foods downtown. Given the lack of success of Ukrops, I doubt any other grocers will be looking to Roanoke for a while.

For dining I'd like to see a Five Guys, Qdoba, Chipotle, Cold Stone

And an Apple Store

Again, I don't think our demographics could really support many of those stores but I really think the dining options I listed, and H&M could do well here.

Oh, and I wouldn't want them in a mall either. I think it'd be cool if those stores were all in ground-level retail in one or 2 blocks of downtown. Maybe on, say, Campbell Ave and Kirk Ave between Jefferson and 1st St. With little cafes and delis sprinkled here and there. And some residential and office units in the space above all of the first floor retail.

Again, that will never happen, but I can dream right?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 PM

I know my mom would love a Kohl's, and we have a Cold Stone over near the Valley View movie theater - but if you mean downtown, I would rather have a local place. We do have Hollins/Roanoke colleges that could provide us with the "(17-25) trendy/hipsterish". I know people at my school would love it!

Old 07-16-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I know my mom would love a Kohl's, and we have a Cold Stone over near the Valley View movie theater - but if you mean downtown, I would rather have a local place. We do have Hollins/Roanoke colleges that could provide us with the "(17-25) trendy/hipsterish". I know people at my school would love it!
We have a Cold Stone!

Wow, I'm so out of the loop. LOL. How long has it been there?

Speaking of the local ice cream place for downtown, maybe the ice cream parlor in/near Grandin Village would work...I've only been there once and I can't remember the name, but Im pretty sure I enjoyed myself.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM

Yeah! Um it has been there for a while, some kids at my school work there.
I might need to check that place out!

Old 07-17-2009, 08:46 AM

261 posts, read 1,274,552 times
Quote:

It was MyRetailRoanoke.com, a subset of the city government site, that sponsored the poll, which can still be found here (http://roanokenet.roanokeva.gov/MyRetailRoanoke/?Open - broken link).

The Roanoke Time did report on the poll back in 2007, but truely, there was no "meat" to the poll. It was mostly wishful thinking, and a way to get people involved and excited about the city's potential.

I second the Chipotle suggestion (or any other similar restaurant such as Machismo or Panchero's). Virginia Beach has a Yukon steak house, which has always been my favorite among the chains in that mold.

I think the most significant thing I'd like to see in the Roanoke area is a Blue Ridge Mountain sports. We don't have a good hiking/backpacking outfitter in the area, with Gander Mountain being more hunting-oriented and Outdoor Trails....well, I'll get back to you if I can find something good to say about them.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:36 AM

219 posts, read 879,294 times
2nd Kholes, and I think it would do well here too. Caters to a wide range of ages.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:47 AM

It is weird that Lynchburg has one and Roanoke doesn't....
I would also like to see a Rue 21

Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
It is weird that Lynchburg has one and Roanoke doesn't....
I would also like to see a Rue 21
Its weird that stores like Khols and Rue 21 have locations throughout Virginia but not in Roanoke.

For example, Rue 21 has 11 stores in VA (including stores in Bristol, Norton and Danville VA) but none in Roanoke. I'm sure the experts and analysts at the company have studied the area and come to a conclusion that expanding here is not desirable, but I wonder what that reason is. Maybe the Roanoke market is too saturated with clothing stores (especially 'discount' stores: Rugged Warehouse, Ross, Citi Trends, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, Burlington Coat Factory, etc). I'm not sure.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM

136 posts, read 345,160 times
The Penthouse Club to Lynchburg!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area