Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 06:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times

Advertisements

Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
Seriously?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 AM

317 posts, read 826,426 times
mrgaga123...There are just too many variables involved here to answer your question. Answer some questions and we maybe able to help a bit more.

I apologize if you have already given this information.

What does your man do for a living? What is his occupation? I assume he is American, correct?

Are you university educated? If so, what is your occupation in China. You may want to check if your degree would be recognized by a national trade/occupation association. That would make it much easier for you to get a job.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 PM

11 posts, read 20,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen824 View Post
It's hard to answer your questions about cost without knowing about how much your income here will be and how much you will be able to budget for the kinds of things you've listed. And also it's difficult without knowing how much such things cost for you in China. Could you either give us an idea of how much you will have to spend on things here, or how much these things cost where you are now? If you can give the approximate cost of clothing, food, entertainment, travel, etc. where you are (either in your currency or in dollars, I can convert it if necessary) we can try to give you more specific advice. :-)

Just to give you a general idea now, gas is about $2.75 per gallon here (18.75 yuan.) Dinner in an Asian restaurant might cost about $30-$40 for two people (205-273 yuan)--not including alcoholic drinks. Theater tickets vary but might cost about $50 each locally-- 342 yuan--you would spend much more in New York City (about $100 each or 683 yuan.) Clothing is so varied that it would probably be better if you told us how much you would spend on, say, a dress to wear to work, and we could tell you how much such a thing might cost here.

I hope this helps a little!
I am going to live at Rochester with my fiance, so I will use US dollars. I live a good life at China, I worry I can not earn enough money to live the same good life at Rochester. I will be up-set if I suddenly become much poorer when I start my life at Rochester. I do not require much, I do not usually buy the luxury thing, but I want to have a comfortable life with the best quality food, comfortable and trendy clothes(not necessary famous brand though), and have some entertain occasionally.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:41 PM

11 posts, read 20,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnittany View Post
mrgaga123...There are just too many variables involved here to answer your question. Answer some questions and we maybe able to help a bit more.

I apologize if you have already given this information.

What does your man do for a living? What is his occupation? I assume he is American, correct?

Are you university educated? If so, what is your occupation in China. You may want to check if your degree would be recognized by a national trade/occupation association. That would make it much easier for you to get a job.
I have a bachelor degree from a Texas university at International business major. I work at a b2b trading agency at China to help people from other country buy things from China.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:26 PM

317 posts, read 826,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgaga123 View Post
I am going to live at Rochester with my fiance, so I will use US dollars. I live a good life at China, I worry I can not earn enough money to live the same good life at Rochester. I will be up-set if I suddenly become much poorer when I start my life at Rochester. I do not require much, I do not usually buy the luxury thing, but I want to have a comfortable life with the best quality food, comfortable and trendy clothes(not necessary famous brand though), and have some entertain occasionally.

The fact that you have a degree from an American University will be helpful. It sounds like you export in wholesale goods or facilitate in such? Somebody local might want to chime in about opportunities in this industry. Depending on how planted your fiance is, you two may want to consider Toronto for that line of work. Also, can somebody local give an estimate of salary in regards to living comfortably in the city and suburbs? Gaga...just move to Rochester, and see how it goes. If you don't move, you will end of regretting it later.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:11 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgaga123 View Post
I have a bachelor degree from a Texas university at International business major. I work at a b2b trading agency at China to help people from other country buy things from China.
Inquire about jobs at Carestream. They do a lot of business with China and would probably be interested, especially if you are technically savvy.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:41 PM

5 posts, read 8,367 times
It is very true your money will go much further in China as opposed in Rochester. Also the job market here is very depressed. What industry is your fiance in? Will he be willing to support you and for you to not work? Goods (general merchandise and clothing) are also more expensive in the US in general than in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area