Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 AM

200 posts, read 604,932 times

Advertisements

I know there are three currently in process at State & Jay, Broadway & Alexander, and Clifford & North with 50 total slated to be placed at intersections around the city in the next few months - does any one know of a place to find a map or a link to a listing of the locations of these other 47? Thanks in advance. Also, what's your take on them? IMHO it's mostly a city money grab, as well as another case of big brother looking over your shoulder, with the positive side effect of possibly saving a few lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
More for money than safety. If anything, it's going to have no effect on the number of accidents, and might even increase the amount of rear end collisions. Just another coffer for NYS

Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM

200 posts, read 604,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
More for money than safety. If anything, it's going to have no effect on the number of accidents, and might even increase the amount of rear end collisions. Just another coffer for NYS
More money that they can spend on garbage that helps no one. Like welfare...............!!!WARNING!!! Tangent alert!
Welfare doesn't do anything for anyone. If you could get paid more than the equivalent of what you would get working at a job you were qualified for, would you bother trying? I'm saying, I'm a fairly qualified individual, and I make a pretty good living, but if someone just gave me $2k a week (I know welfare recipients don't get paid nearly that much, but follow me here) to just sit at home, I'm not sure I would look for work. Anyone can say they would, but are you really being honest with yourself? If a person on welfare who's only qualifications are their GED can get paid more sitting at home than they could bussing tables or washing dishes 25 hrs a week at a greasy spoon, what incentive do they have? Their pride? Their honor? When someone reaches the point that they are collecting welfare, I'd bet both of those are shot. Anyway, I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm absolutely positive what the answer isn't. The system does not work.
Now back to our topic -
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
The real story behind Rochester's new red light district - Rochester Independent | Examiner.com

Old 11-07-2010, 06:55 PM

170 posts, read 286,768 times
Funny- I recently moved to South Carolina from Rochester. South Carolina is a heavily republican state with very, very low taxes, and most people in this state want minimum government in their lives. The red light cameras are everywhere down here and no one complains!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:53 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,718,665 times
These cameras do nothing. They may lessen certain accidents, but they have shown to have an increase in other types of accidents like rear ending.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:18 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,687,064 times
We have red light cameras all over Albuquerque and they are definitely only about revenue. The university here conducted a study and it's true that fewer people run red lights, and there are fewer accidents as a result, there are indeed more rear end collisions because everyone is slamming on their brakes trying to avoid getting a ticket in the mail. Our red light cameras also used to catch people speeding through intersections, but they recently stopped that part of it. It got to the point where they were setting up the cameras stealthily and randomly to catch people speeding at intersections where there was no lights at all .

Old 10-27-2011, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 5,691 times
CASH COW
Real studdies show T bone side impact wrecks less than 5 % accross the U.S. yes caused by some moron running the light but almost tripple rear end wrecks 80% avg in the U.S. the most common no red light cams.
So lets say at an average "Hot" intersection no camera you have 5 T bone wrecks and 20 rear end wrecks per month that becomes 3 T bone wrecks per month so yes it is an improvement BUT you increasse the rear end wrecks to 50 to 60 per month
Yellow light times are often shorter. Of corse the redlight camera thumpers conviently forget to mention that. Also try stopping your car or a heavy truck when a car is right behind you to avoid the tickett. Trust me as a truck driver and I have worked as an Emergency Meddical Technision Ive experianced the results in cities that have red light cams and heard the stories form business owners who have witnessed them.

Yeah its true big brother is watching you,
Thats why the kids or in school dont read 1984 anymore they might just catch on to whats happening.

Wolf Trucking.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:52 AM

2 posts, read 5,691 times
Thats nice verry verry low taxes and cameras in S.C. but Rember in New York State we have verry verry high taxes, a dying economy, and job markett and now cameras. So what is your point?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,279 times
^^^ Despite his atrocious spelling, I like this guy!

Old 10-27-2011, 06:13 PM

192 posts, read 530,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
More money that they can spend on garbage that helps no one. Like welfare
The welfare system has nothing to do with the city government, its run by the sate and federal government. Maybe if you understood the social programs a little better you wouldn’t have such a cynical and frankly outrageous opinion of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area