Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:53 PM

217 posts, read 512,072 times

Advertisements

I have read that taxes are high in Rochester. I live on Long Island on a half acre and pay 10,000 on property taxes. How does this compare to there? Thanks. I am trying to get away from TAXES.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:18 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,249 times
Lolololol, I think a half acre here will hit ya for roughly half that in taxes. I own a modest 1500sq/ft split on 13,xxx sq/ft of property in Greece, one of the higher taxed towns, and my taxes are almost 4200 before the STAR rebate. I think an acre is somewhere around 30,000 sq/ft, so that gives you an idea.

Also, overall home prices are going to save you more than taxes. My home, which is assessed at 103k here, would probably go for almost half a million on Long Island lol.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:01 PM

LOL. Thank you for your reply!!!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:05 PM

Default Is the Rochester area considered to be in the Mountains

Not sure where the mountain region ends. I know all about the Adirondaks however, not sure about Rochester area. My brother lives in Wayne on the border however, his land appears to be in more of a flat area. Thanks you. Love mountains and ckose to airports, great hospital and schools.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:04 PM

570 posts, read 1,339,830 times
Nope, Rochester is definitely not considered mountainous. The Appalachian mountains are down in the Southern Tier of the state (see the Elmira area on google earth) and extend to the west. However, they do not go as far north as Rochester.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:06 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
Rochester has less expensive...everything...compared to Long Island. Our tax rate is actually higher than yours down in LI...but the overall cost is much lower because housing is much, much cheaper. Depending on what town/village/school district you are in....property taxes on a typical 3 bedroom 2 bath house (1500-2000 sq ft) with a half acre lot will be somewhere between 3k-6k....and the house itself would probably be priced from $120k-$180k depending on size and upgrades.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamin71 View Post
Nope, Rochester is definitely not considered mountainous. The Appalachian mountains are down in the Southern Tier of the state (see the Elmira area on google earth) and extend to the west. However, they do not go as far north as Rochester.
Yeah, I was going to say that metros like Syracuse, Binghamton, Utica-Rome, Albany, Glens Falls, Ithaca and Elmira are either closer or are right next to mountains/foothills and are within a reasonable drive to airports. Livingston County may be a happy medium, as the Allegheny Plateau goes through parts of that county, which is in the Rochester metro. Allegheny Plateau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2012, 05:37 AM

5 posts, read 10,357 times
The Canandaigua area would also be a happy medium. With the Bristol Hills, there is at least the beginnings of a mountainous area combined with the various finger lakes. The distance to Rochester or Syracuse isn't an extreme inconvenience. Also, the taxes are slightly lower in Ontario and Livingston Counties although any prime real estate will still be as pricey as anywhere in the region.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:32 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
Kind of off the subject a little.... But.... We have lived in the mid-Atlantic for many, many years. We were ( the area) hit pretty hard by the Real Estate bubble & inflated housing prices. Even now, we still can't touch a beautiful, upgraded home in our home for less than $250k like you can in most parts of Rochester.

Many of our relatives would make snide remarks about how much homes cost in our area, and would laugh when we would talk about the bidding wars that would go on for homes in our area. It is true, people would offer much more $$ than homes were listed for.
Now, these same relatives have said that there are actually bidding wars going on in Ontario County, for raised ranches with 1.5 bathrooms?? Now, we aren't questioning that bidding wars are happening, but for a 3 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom home? We do find that hard to believe.
They said their neighbors home sold for $15k more than it was listed for...
Any Real Estate professionals want to weigh in on this? It is Ontario county where most taxes are less than other areas, but hard to believe these types of homes are in high demand.?

Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,880,249 times
How do you a figure it's questionable that a modest home perfect for the average lower-middle class American family with a child or two would be in high demand? Homes like that even here in Greece are selling like hot cakes.

One of the homes we put an offer on before we purchased our current home went in to a bidding war between us and another party, with them winning out by paying full asking price. It was a smallish but updated 3 bedroom ranch, probably only 1300 sq/ft if memory serves correct, and they got what they wanted at 107,500.

There shouldn't be anything hard to believe about it, not all of us are fortunate enough to make 100k salaries and afford 2000 sq/ft homes in Victor/Pittsford/etc. The lower middle class is thriving and that level of real estate proves it. Couple that on top of the fact a lot of people want to downgrade homes in fear of job security, plus all the boomers that no longer need their large home since the kids are long gone to college, and it all makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area