Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM

466 posts, read 982,532 times

Advertisements

I've never felt unsafe in downtown. Day or night. Nor has anyone ever bothered me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,881,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I am not the one making definitions as I see fit. I am using the proper definition of the word.
Ok, then please explain the slang term ghetto booty and how it may have originated if the term ghetto simply means an area populated with poor people. Is a ghetto booty a booty that has many poor people living in and/or outside of it? That'd be quite odd. Also, if you could explain its current definition as used in modern society that'd be great as well, since we're all obviously mistaken on the word and whatever we all thought it meant is completely wrong according to you, Mr Garmin Merriam Webster. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:13 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
It's a slang term like you said and many slang terms deviate from the original meanings slightly. The term ghetto is something that white people from the suburbs wrongly use to describe anything that isn't brand new and shiny.
But at this point you are just trolling and splitting hairs.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:15 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,074,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
It's a slang term like you said and many slang terms deviate from the original meanings slightly. The term ghetto is something that white people from the suburbs wrongly use to describe anything that isn't brand new and shiny.
But at this point you are just trolling and splitting hairs.
Or something that is actually dangerous, drugs everywhere or filthy

Trolling because you know he is telling the truth as I am as well..... and you don't like the truth

Try pulling your blinders off sometime

Old 02-27-2012, 04:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
Ghetto:

1. (n.) an impoverished, neglected, or otherwise disadvantaged residential area of a city, usually troubled by a disproportionately large amount of crime
2. (adj.) urban; of or relating to (inner) city life
3. (adj.) poor; of or relating to the poor life
4. (adj.) jury-rigged, improvised, or home-made (usually with extremely cheap or sub-standard components), yet still deserving of an odd sense of respect from ghetto dwellers and non-ghetto dwellers alike

Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Or something that is actually dangerous, drugs everywhere or filthy

Trolling because you know he is telling the truth as I am as well..... and you don't like the truth

Try pulling your blinders off sometime
So if dangerous and drugs make a place ghetto, then downtown is not ghetto. parts of downtown are dirty, but dirty alone doesn't make a place ghetto. Using that logic, my garage is the ghetto since it has a dirty lawnmower sitting in it.
If you would like to back up your claims that "60% of the city" and downtown are ghetto, then go ahead.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:09 PM

38 posts, read 97,655 times
Try the corner of Clifford and Conkey. Make sure you have a few $100 bills hanging out of your pockets. Have a nice time! Some of my other favorite hot spots would include Avenue D and Joseph Ave.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankagula View Post
Thanks for responding, everyone, and for the pics - I have to figure this forum thing out, as this isn't appearing as a response to specific comments. Anyway, I want to check out the bad neighborhoods because I like being around poorer people, I'm sympathetic to ideas about institutionalized poverty, and, I don't know, I kind of like grit and grime, too, what can I say, I find beauty in it - yet I'm not entertained by desperation, I hate it, this isn't a voyeuristic thing. And a suburban, manicured lawn is just as "real," I harbor no illusions about "sheltered people" or what have you. I like to feel a little tough myself, perhaps. I don't really know how to answer the question of why I seek these places out, except that I simply like bad neighborhoods. I like to know my city - and am super excited about Rochester!
Or, said another way, you are an educated suburban white guy who aspires to achieve street cred. You really are from Portland, aren't you!

If you find beauty in grit and grime, then Rochester is your Paris, France. I'm sure you'll make LOTS of friends in the 'hood.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
You want to? Ok, props to you. Most people would rather stay ignorant to the problems of the city (not saying anyone on these forums, just residents here in general). Check out this map I made a while back...

Rochester, NY Neighborhoods - Google Maps
Pretty impressive map! Nice work.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 PM

192 posts, read 530,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshtracks View Post
Or, said another way, you are an educated suburban white guy who aspires to achieve street cred. You really are from Portland, aren't you!
If you find beauty in grit and grime, then Rochester is your Paris, France. I'm sure you'll make LOTS of friends in the 'hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshtracks View Post
Try the corner of Clifford and Conkey. Make sure you have a few $100 bills hanging out of your pockets. Have a nice time! Some of my other favorite hot spots would include Avenue D and Joseph Ave.
I kind of get where your coming from but being interested in the city (even the blighted areas) isn’t necessarily a bad thing or a cry for street cred. It is what it is…

Just curious which area of the city do you live in? I’m guessing it’s not one of the neighborhoods that have been mentioned so why do you care?

Also have you ever been to any of those corners or are you just randomly naming streets? Clifford and Conkey is a drug corner but Ave D & Joseph is where the Lincoln library is. It might not be the best location but a lot of people have no problem going to that library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area