Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM

226 posts, read 483,459 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from Florida to Rochester Newyork. We are not familiar with Rochester That much. but would like to live in a city with a great middle school district. We would be looking to rent a two bedroom two bathroom house or may be an apartment, not to city or not to suburban just the perfect blend. We would appreciate your honest feed back as we have a 13yr old daughter who is in six grade now. we would like a good neighborhood to raise her in. My husband is in the building/maintenance field and would like some feed back on the job marker in the area. Thanks.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:13 PM

244 posts, read 417,610 times
lol why? florida is nice

Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 PM

192 posts, read 530,614 times
Rochester is the third largest city in the state of New York, after New York City and Buffalo. As far as unemployment goes we tend to lead upstate NY in job growth and are pretty strong economically. There are a lot of outdoor activates here and housing is generally pretty cheap. NYC is a 6 hour car drive to the south, so dont expect to be too close to the big apple.

I was originally going to recommend one of the neighborhoods in the SE part of the city; which is generally the nicest and most diverse section. However after reading that you have a 13 year old who is in middle school, I’m not sure that would be the best choice. An inner ring suburb such as Brighton may be a better fit for you. The main reason for this is that the Rochester City schools (with a few exceptions) are not that great. The town of Brighton is known for its high quality schools (it has even been ranked in Newsweek’s the top 100 US schools list). The district is also a bit smaller; there is only one middle school and one high school, so your daughter might have an easier time adjusting.

Brighton is also right on top of the nicer neighborhoods in the SE part of the city. Not only are you are literally close to everything the city has to offer, but the housing stock also resembles that of the nearby city neighborhoods. Brighton has kind of an old money vibe as it has always been a well to do area…at the same time it’s also fairly diverse you will find many teachers, firefighters, police, as well as more affluent residents.

There are a few other suburbs that would also be fine. The reason I choose to focus on Brighton is that it’s by far the most urban suburb and it has awesome schools. I know that there are a few very nice apartment buildings there; houses may be more difficult do to its popularity but I’m guessing if you hunted around you could find something without too much difficulty.

Just curious are you from one of Florida’s bigger cities? I’m trying to get an idea of what you mean when you say you prefer a more urban setting…as this can be a relative term.

Hope this helps. I would be happy to go into more detail about any part of the city if you have more questions.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:37 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,324,558 times
Florida is really not that nice...

And I would recommend an inner ring suburb such as Irondequoit or Brighton for you. Both are out of the city, and therefore have good school districts (Brighton has some of the best schools in the country) as well as walkable yet not urban neighborhoods. The outer parts within city borders would work too if you can get your kids into a good private schools. Neighborhoods like Charlotte, Browncroft and Cobbs Hill are all beautiful. Good luck!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 585WNY View Post
Florida is really not that nice...

And I would recommend an inner ring suburb such as Irondequoit or Brighton for you. Both are out of the city, and therefore have good school districts (Brighton has some of the best schools in the country) as well as walkable yet not urban neighborhoods. The outer parts within city borders would work too if you can get your kids into a good private schools. Neighborhoods like Charlotte, Browncroft and Cobbs Hill are all beautiful. Good luck!

Florida is about 1 million times nicer than Rochester why would anyone move from Florida to Rochester. Most people are trying to move from Rochester to Florida

Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM

Thank you so much for your reply and the information you give us. My husband and i have been looking at some of the neighborhoods you suggested. we like the Cobb's hill and Brighton neighborhoods very much so we are looking for housing they.Thanks once again.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt357 View Post
lol why? Florida is nice
Yes it's nice here if you are retired. But for younger family with kids and the lack of good paying jobs, its hard to just stick around waiting for the economy to improve. we have to go where the job are,Plus good affordable housing and good schools. The weather is nice here but that's about it. Florida is very backward to compare with other states.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:53 PM

theres no jobs here, what city are u in now?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:19 PM

24 posts, read 52,919 times
in ft.lauderdale

Old 04-23-2012, 05:50 PM

93,307 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt357 View Post
theres no jobs here, what city are u in now?
It depends on your skills and education. Get out of the big manufacturing box and think in terms of small business, which hires most of the working people in this country.

Florida as a state has a higher crime rate, higher unemployment rate and a lower graduation rate. So, there is more to quality of life than weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area