Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 7,027 times

Advertisements

Long time reader; first time poster here :-)
I am relocating from Charlotte NC and am looking at a few houses near Davis Park. I am wondering/asking a few things
1. Is the neighborhood good? Low crime etc.
2. Is it a bad commute from this area to Buffalo. I have family there and will probably need to commute this many times. I consider a bad commute 1 hour to go 11 miles like I have to in Charlotte :-(
3. Is the railroad next to the park used heavily? I don't want to get rumbled out of my house :-)
4. Is the community family friendly (were are in our early 30's with a child on the way). By friendly I mean can you walk to places without being run down by cars.
5. Thanks in advance all for you time. Your comments are really appreciated......good or bad.

Stay cool all!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 05:55 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBratt View Post
Long time reader; first time poster here :-)
I am relocating from Charlotte NC and am looking at a few houses near Davis Park. I am wondering/asking a few things
1. Is the neighborhood good? Low crime etc.
2. Is it a bad commute from this area to Buffalo. I have family there and will probably need to commute this many times. I consider a bad commute 1 hour to go 11 miles like I have to in Charlotte :-(
3. Is the railroad next to the park used heavily? I don't want to get rumbled out of my house :-)
4. Is the community family friendly (were are in our early 30's with a child on the way). By friendly I mean can you walk to places without being run down by cars.
5. Thanks in advance all for you time. Your comments are really appreciated......good or bad.

Stay cool all!!
1. This is a very safe middle class neighborhood with very good schools.

2. Not at all! Hop on 490W take to 90W and your there in about 50 minutes! Won't have to deal with city traffic.

3. This could be a problem...

4. There are lots of parks and undeveloped land nearby and speed limits are pretty low (maybe too low). Theres not a whole lot of sidewalks but rather deep shoulders everywhere. However you would ideally want to head west to avoid the mediocre bustle of Chili Ave. (386).

5. Best of luck to you!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
I agree with everything the above poster said. I'm not sure if Davis Park is in Gates-Chili or Churchville-Chili school district, but both good suburban school districts. Like Jtraik said though, the railroad can be noisy. My sister used to live in Gates near the railroad and while it made a lot of noise, there was never too much "shake".

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,051 times
I probably looked at one or two of the houses you are considering there (Andony Ln I remember for sure). This is a safe area with good schools (Churchville-Chili). The railroad is especially bad in Churchville/Riga (it slows down around here) and can be LOUD if you are not used to it...but I bet you become acclimated quickly. I really wouldn't plan on an easy walk to shopping or anything, because there are not really any good sidewalks in the area. A walk around the neighborhood is certainly pleasant though. Chili doesn't really have pedestrian traffic or village-style town center (more like strip malls, fast food, key stores offset far from the road, etc.).

Old 12-29-2007, 08:44 PM

This is true, i wasn't aware if this was one of your considerations. If you are looking for a suburb with a "Downtown" village/small town atmosphere, I would suggest looking into Pittsford, Fairport, Brockport, and to a lesser degree Brighton. Pittsford and Fairport are a bit pricier (on Rochester standards at least) but defintley have the nice canaltown village center, as does Brockport....though it is farther away from everything (but cheaper) Brighton is an older established suburb that has a "downtown" of sorts in the 12 corners area. Brighton and Pittsford have some of the best schools in the state too,

Old 12-29-2007, 10:18 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
I wouldn't consider Brighton to have much of a village compared to Pittsford, Brockport and especially Fairport. And also Fairport has some very affordable areas to it as well as some very expensive areas... oh and don't forget about FAIRPORT ELECTRIC!!! (VERY cheap electricity)

Oh and Rochacha... its not a "strip mall", its a plaaaaaza.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:14 AM

897 posts, read 2,457,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
This is true, i wasn't aware if this was one of your considerations. If you are looking for a suburb with a "Downtown" village/small town atmosphere, I would suggest looking into Pittsford, Fairport, Brockport, and to a lesser degree Brighton. Pittsford and Fairport are a bit pricier (on Rochester standards at least) but defintley have the nice canaltown village center, as does Brockport....though it is farther away from everything (but cheaper) Brighton is an older established suburb that has a "downtown" of sorts in the 12 corners area. Brighton and Pittsford have some of the best schools in the state too,
I would add spencerport/ogden. I believe they can go to spencerport school or gates.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 PM

Spencerport would probably fit the bill too...and I see again now that the op was concerned about an easy commute to Buffalo....Spencerport and Brockport would both have by far the easiest commutes to Buffalo in the Rochester area.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:50 PM

525 posts, read 1,828,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Spencerport would probably fit the bill too...and I see again now that the op was concerned about an easy commute to Buffalo....Spencerport and Brockport would both have by far the easiest commutes to Buffalo in the Rochester area.
Actually the Churchville/Chili area is a better commute to Buffalo (I went to school in Buffalo and made the commute many times) because of the distance south and proximity to 490. From Brockport, the best routes to Buffalo are either 19 to the Thruway or 33, or 31 to Lockport...and neither are as quick or nice as taking 490 to the Thruway.

Old 12-30-2007, 10:11 PM

right...i actually meant in reference to the other "suburbs with downtowns" areas I had mentioned, and not "the whole Rochester area" like I had said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area